• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Is there not going to be a new Pokemon movie in 2021?

Konja7

Reaction score
I have not read any news about a new movie in 2021.

This is curious, because it has been a movie every year since 1998.

Last edited:

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
At this point, I highly doubt that there will be a new movie this year. If they were going for another December release, they would have definitely announced something well before now. I'm pretty sure that delaying last year's movie affected the production for a possible movie 23. I'm fairly certain that we'll still get a new movie down the road, but it won't be within the next few months.

Silktree

Not Dead
Reaction score
Movies are typically revealed 7 months in advance, so it's way too late now. After the previous movie's lackluster success, they must have wanted a year off to go back to a summer release. Some creative juice for the 25th anniversary wouldn't hurt, either.

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
The chances are pretty much close to zero at this point. The COVID-19 situation in Japan has never been worse and so Toho is, understandably, waiting a bit before announcing the next film.

Adelon

Swampert's Ghost
Reaction score
Not happening. They would have announced it before summer even began if they were going for a very late 2021 release for PM24.

Hidden Mew

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So hopefully 2022 can have 2 movies in Japan.
I really doubt that can happen. Given the amount of time and money it takes to make one movie, I don't think that they'll be able to effectively make two movies in one year.

SammyW27

NOBODY EXPECTS A PALDEAN INQUISTION!
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't mind if they stopped making them--or at least took a break--to focus on the Show and various specials and shorts.

UxieLover1994

Reaction score
Pronouns
She/They
I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason why a Pokémon movie wasn't released or (as of this post) announced in 2021 is because of COVID-19. Other ongoing productions had to be delayed or drastically changed because of this ongoing pandemic. I still suspect the next movie is already in development, and would soon be announced.

They'd have to release a movie soon, anyway, to mark the anime's 25th anniversary. As long as it's not blatant pandering towards American school boys like The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon was.

nickdt

Reaction score
Considering only 50% of the Japanese people are vaccinated at this point, i also doubt we get a 2022 movie release, because the movie should be in the pre-production fase at this point, especially since they usually announce a movie around february/march.

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
They're still churning out a weekly TV series with little to no problems so they can definitely do pre-production movie work on movie that'll come out summer 2022.

I'm fairly confident we'll get the usual teaser trailer in December 2021 / early January 2022.

nickdt

Reaction score
They're still churning out a weekly TV series with little to no problems so they can definitely do pre-production movie work on movie that'll come out summer 2022.

I'm fairly confident we'll get the usual teaser trailer in December 2021 / early January 2022.

This is true, however, we can't be 100% certain either way.

jbmasta

Reaction score
Considering how long it took to M23 to get widely released due to global circumstances, it wouldn't surprise me if it's next year before the next film. Over half a year between the theatrical and home video releases for Japan, and not for a few weeks yet for the dub.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Top Bottom