• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is there not going to be a new Pokemon movie in 2021?

Konja7

Reaction score
I have not read any news about a new movie in 2021.

This is curious, because it has been a movie every year since 1998.

Last edited:
At this point, I highly doubt that there will be a new movie this year. If they were going for another December release, they would have definitely announced something well before now. I'm pretty sure that delaying last year's movie affected the production for a possible movie 23. I'm fairly certain that we'll still get a new movie down the road, but it won't be within the next few months.

Movies are typically revealed 7 months in advance, so it's way too late now. After the previous movie's lackluster success, they must have wanted a year off to go back to a summer release. Some creative juice for the 25th anniversary wouldn't hurt, either.

The chances are pretty much close to zero at this point. The COVID-19 situation in Japan has never been worse and so Toho is, understandably, waiting a bit before announcing the next film.

Not happening. They would have announced it before summer even began if they were going for a very late 2021 release for PM24.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they stopped making them--or at least took a break--to focus on the Show and various specials and shorts.

I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason why a Pokémon movie wasn't released or (as of this post) announced in 2021 is because of COVID-19. Other ongoing productions had to be delayed or drastically changed because of this ongoing pandemic. I still suspect the next movie is already in development, and would soon be announced.

They'd have to release a movie soon, anyway, to mark the anime's 25th anniversary. As long as it's not blatant pandering towards American school boys like The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon was.

Considering only 50% of the Japanese people are vaccinated at this point, i also doubt we get a 2022 movie release, because the movie should be in the pre-production fase at this point, especially since they usually announce a movie around february/march.

They're still churning out a weekly TV series with little to no problems so they can definitely do pre-production movie work on movie that'll come out summer 2022.

I'm fairly confident we'll get the usual teaser trailer in December 2021 / early January 2022.

Considering how long it took to M23 to get widely released due to global circumstances, it wouldn't surprise me if it's next year before the next film. Over half a year between the theatrical and home video releases for Japan, and not for a few weeks yet for the dub.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom