• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is there still hope for a 3D Battle title in Gen V?

Blazing Charmander

The Stray Veteran Pokemon
Reaction score
For anybody who is a fan of watching their hand-trained monsters duke it out in full 3D, I am sure that many months have been spent yearning for the announcement of a title that follows in the vein of Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Colosseum/XD and Pokemon Battle Revolution. I was not much of a fan of Battle Revolution, but nonetheless each of these games served a mighty fine purpose in their respective generation, which was to project our portable adventures onto the big screen.

Having seen both XD and Battle Revolution feature at E3 in years gone by, I afforded myself some hope (but certainly not any expectation) that Nintendo and Game Freak were ready to throw a bone to us Pokemaniacs at this year's conference which was held yesterday. Sadly this was not to be, but this disappointment has prompted me to ask the question - Will we see a Wii/Wii U battle title before the end of Gen V? Furthermore, what significant features could you see it utilising?

Last edited:
If it's a Wii game, then it stands to reason that it wasn't revealed at E3. I expect an announcement next month or in August.

If it's a Wii game, then it stands to reason that it wasn't revealed at E3. I expect an announcement next month or in August.

That would make a lot of sense. Come to think of it, a Wii game is a far more realistic prospect considering that the main games of this generation have stayed with the DS system, and as a result there would be no reason to expect said title to be shown with an array of Wii U games.

I say no, but Gen VI could.

(also, I want a Pokemon Snap 2 on the Wii U!)

There's hope for a "3D Battle title". In fact, it's guaranteed.
The home console title ("Pokémon Wii U") is (most likely) being developed as we speak. Don't forget, you have to consider the time it takes to develop a video game from the basic plans to the final product.

Indeed. Also consider that there's 649 Pokemon to model, animate, texturize, etc. To say nothing of attack graphics, shiny textures, gender differences, and whatever else comes from animating a 3D Pokemon. There's also battle stages, sound effects, music...and if they do character customization again, they'd have to make models/textures/outfits for them as well. There's a lot of work to do, and Gen 5 introduced more new Pokemon than any generation so far. You gotta give them some time, you know? I'm fairly certain that we'll see a Gen V battle sim this year or early next year.

I mean by waiting until B2W2 are released, the Gen V battle sim will be avoiding the biggest issue that Battle Revolution had. Battle Revolution was released WAAAAY too early into Gen IV. That meant no Giratina-O or Skymin, or even Notch-Eared Pichu. An otherwise excellent game was marred by this sadly, I can admit it. By waiting just a bit longer, Gen V's battle sim won't suffer as much.

I think it makes a lot more sense for it to be on the 3DS. Currently there's only one Pokemon game on the 3DS (Super Pokemon Rumble) and it would make sense for there to be at least one more before Gen VI begins (after all, before Gen IV started, we had MD1, Ranger, Dash, and Trozei all on the DS even though the main series hadn't officially moved there yet). Plus, there'll be a 3D model for every Pokemon on the new Pokedex 3D, so it makes sense to make use of them in a 3D Battler for the 3DS.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom