• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is TPCI trying to replicate the 4kids days?

Kool-aid man

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
They brought back the gotta catch em all slogan, they reused lyrics from the Pokerap in their gotta catch em all sweepstakes, they remixed the original Pokémon theme for the XY trailer and will probably use it as the opening for the XY series., looks like TPCI is trying to replicate the old days of Pokémon which i think is a good thing. maybe they'll take one out of 4kids' book by writing more humorous dialog instead of making rough translations of the raw. your thoughts?

Last edited:
4Kids were in charge of the dub during Gen 1, which Gen 6 as a whole is calling back to (Kanto starters, Snorlax blocking the road, Mewtwo post-game, etc), so it makes sense. It's all about trying to bring back the people that quit Pokemon after the fad aspect died down.

Its not just the american branch, I think the whole company is slowly realizing they need to return to their roots in a few ways to prevent their franchise from alienating their fanbase. Of course, I'd love it for there to be better dialogue and of course a certain group of actors on the show. But to the point, I think they really outta find some technology and privileges that would allow them to edit the character lip flap and create dialogue to suit their needs. Maybe this is partially japans fault too, maybe its somehow more difficult to work with and create good english adaptions nowadays (like with humor that they probably appreciate more than us). Whatever the case I can only hope they all intend to step up their game a lot.

I thought the Gen I stuff in X/Y was pretty obnoxious and half-hearted, and I really don't feel any different when it comes to this. I really don't think remixing a song from the 90s that people liked because it was corny or bringing back a slogan that was always mocked for being corporate shilling is gonna win back fans who left the series, nor was the removal of that actually alienating them.

Its not just the american branch, I think the whole company is slowly realizing they need to return to their roots in a few ways to prevent their franchise from alienating their fanbase. Of course, I'd love it for there to be better dialogue and of course a certain group of actors on the show. But to the point, I think they really outta find some technology and privileges that would allow them to edit the character lip flap and create dialogue to suit their needs. Maybe this is partially japans fault too, maybe its somehow more difficult to work with and create good english adaptions nowadays (like with humor that they probably appreciate more than us). Whatever the case I can only hope they all intend to step up their game a lot.

You're wrong though, making an English adaption is easier now thanks to the switch to digital animation, which makes editing far easier to do and less noticeable, as well as the fact that the original animation itself has purposefully strived to make the show more universal by switching from actual Japanese text to a fictional language, and cutting back on many explicit elements of Japanese culture and humor. I imagine recording technology has also improved, as well as the method of recording/transmitting the source videos via the Internet. Probably why the gap between the sub and the dub is way shorter nowadays.

Pre-emptive mod note: Let's not have this thread become a TPCi-bashing one (this includes the VA issue), or one for complaining about whatever you don't like about how the anime is handled in general.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with 4kids. They are referencing gen 1/Pokémon's fad years in the west just like the XY games are to bring people back.

I agree with Pikafanboy's point. Just about all of Gen VI has been a big reference to the Kanto days, so having throwbacks like the old slogan and a remixed original theme song isn't that hard to imagine. While I do think that they're trying to appeal to older fans in some aspects, I honestly think XY is a strong enough series (so far at least) to stand on it's own with out all the generation I references thrown in.

I think it's more about nostalgia in general, and it's clearly a pretty global thing. The anime bringing back Charizard for 6 months, and the creation of the Origin sepcial were both decisions made in Japan. TPCi are just doing their part to emulate the trend - and the best way for them to do that is to use elements of the 4Kids-era dub (and the circa 1998 Pokemon franchise in general) because that's what would ultimately provide that sense of nostalgia. (Of the era itself. Outside of this sort of 'hardcore' Pokemon fanbase, nobody gets nostalgic about a dubbing company).

Whether or not this recent old school craze is actually warranted or effective in expanding the market for Pokemon is entirely another story.

I don't see why TPCi is remixing the original theme for XY. They should have done that back in BW when the writers were going for a Kanto feel.

It's not just the TPCI dub. The franchise is using Gen 1 nostalgia all together!

Last edited:
I don't see why TPCi is remixing the original theme for XY. They should have done that back in BW when the writers were going for a Kanto feel.

To be fair while BW was trying to emulate Kanto it was especially emulating the newness and originality of Kanto, so copying an old theme song would have been kind of odd. XY (not just the anime, but the games too) are going for nostalgia here too. It seems like a constant thing.

I think Dogasu put it best:

Dogasu's Backpack said:
So Viz is re-releasing the first season [Of the anime] on DVD again because we're supposed to be all nostalgic for Generation One even though it seems like we revisit it every single year.

The way I see it they're already the kings of their "target audience" sooooo where to next? The old schoolers. The people who still like the Pokemon franchise, just not enough to go about supporting and promoting new anime episodes or at least taking a peek to see whats going on. I wouldn't be surprised to see more throwbacks and I certainly welcome it. Its expanding in a sense that they are reactivating a dormant market which in turn will promote in the long-term better than any advertising campaign could. Small steps to be sure, but better than nothing at all.

I read on bulbapedia that people from TPCI sometimes visit this site, so maybe they've finally realize that we want 4kids quality humor in the dub.

Even in the anime the "Gen 1 fans" are being pandered...
Yeah though in this case it's a good thing as we might finally get some good quality humor in the anime again.

I disagree. The "quality humor" that was in the anime was because of how the dub is written, not because it was generation 1. I don't see how clogging the show with generation 1 references are going to improve the show without the actual writing itself getting a 360.

Even in the anime the "Gen 1 fans" are being pandered...
Yeah though in this case it's a good thing as we might finally get some good quality humor in the anime again.
I think they can do that without the need of pandering to the "Gen 1 fans".
I agree it's bad to pander to genwunners but bringing back dialog that makes make out burst out laughing instead of cracking a smile like TPCI's dub of BF, DP and BW have been doing is welcom in me book

The idea that TPCI is the slightest bit interested in winning back people who would now probably be in their mid to late 20's is frankly laughable. They're just bringing back the Kanto era stuff because that's whats popular. I'm fairly certain they don't care at all about people who haven't watched the show in over a decade. Doing so would be absolutely terrible for the show.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom