• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Is Ultra Sun and Moon too Similar to Sun and Moon?

Fraggle Smurf

Reaction score
I've completed the games main storyline and the Team Rainbow Rocket arc. For a full-price game, I believe we have essentially been given DLC content at best. They've essentially added four new pokémon and Team Rainbow Rocket and called it a new game.

I came across an article that explains this in a little more detail and I think it's the most honest so far: Does Pokémon Need Third Installments to Each Generation?

It goes into detail about the third installments in general but it's a good read. I do think third installments have become a bit of a cash cow for Game Freak, and therefore a ripoff for us consumers. Sun and Moon were fantastic games, but buying the same game again this year is a waste of money.

I hope when Pokémon goes onto the Switch they don't just stop the third installment but don't release two games at once as well. I think now that the link cable has gone, and that the Switch is more designed towards a home console than a portable console, the concept of going outside and trading is gone. Let me know your thoughts.

"However, I do believe that if Pokémon is to continue with the third installments, then we as the consumers should expect more for our money."

That means not continuing them at all. It worked for 9 years.

To be fair to USUM, their real innovation seems to lie in the sidequests and mini games, while the more marketable content is nothing special. Too bad that the good aspects should have been in SM to begin with or made even better for a spin-off game.

Fraggle Smurf said:
don't release two games at once as well.
Sure, any sensible fan would hope for that, but it isn't likely.

Last edited:
I guess we agree and disagree at the same time.

USUM haven't changed anything from SM to really be worth the money anybody paid. Up until Totem Kommo-o, you could have been playing the same game. The sidequests were meaningless in many ways, they didn't amount to anything that changed the main game. This was a cash grab in my opinion.

I never implied that they weren't a cash grab. Just that the sidequests and mini games probably required more effort than the new story and UBs, which is funny because the former are not what most people want in a main series game.

I'm on Ula Ula Island right now and I have to say it's almost a carbon copy of Sun and Moon. Except for some added content and cutscenes this game is still fun, but the fact that it's almost the same as Sun and Moon takes away a lot of the fun and surprises

I think there's enough for me to enjoy it as "new", but not quite enough to merit a whole new game.
  • The new Pokemon and post-game content are, IMO, fantastic, but as many have said before-there's no reason they couldn't have been DLC
  • Minor changes like Totem Araquanid are fun, but I honestly would have preferred to have waited a bit longer for SuMo and have these changes rather than get a "before and after" game
  • New gameplay mechanics like Totem Stickers, Mantine Surfing, and Photo Clubs are super fun, but, like the minor changes, I would have preferred it if they had taken more time to develop SuMo and implement them then, rather than having to buy another game to enjoy them
  • The story is not nearly as different as I was hoping. I can't really see much reason why we couldn't have had the Ultra Recon squad appear in SuMo, and then had the Necrozma plot as a Delta-esque post game plot.

Necrozma's plot in SuMo was just...nothing. They had to have had some idea for what they wanted to do with it-there's no way it was made with no purpose in mind.

I never implied that they weren't a cash grab. Just that the sidequests and mini games probably required more effort than the new story and UBs, which is funny because the former are not what most people want in a main series game.
Really? Wouldn't having more side quests make the region feel more alive and add to the exploration?

Hey, I like the idea and it's hard to speak for "most" fans. But just from reading Serebii's page most of the sidequests don't seem very rewarding or involve battles. Anyway, they weren't marketed at all beyond a mention or two in interviews.

The whole marketing seemed to be on Ultra Megopolis or however it's spelt. When I got there, it was more like an altar purely for the battle with Ultra Necrozma. I was expecting at least a city with a few things to explore.

Yeah, I think most people's excitement peaked with either the "this is not the Alola you know" (lol) story trailer or the Rainbow Rocket reveal. Both are meh in hindsight, but then I wasn't impressed to begin with.

I think it is, although I'm still enjoying Ultra Moon for the little extra things it does have to offer. Black 2 and White 2 stand out as some of my favourite games in the series because they were sequels and not rethreads, they were very different from their predecessors. I wish USUM was more like that.

Based on some walkthroughs I've checked, I also think it is; which is why I've decided to hold off on buying it until after the holidays, as I'm in no rush to get it anymore.

what about generation I, II, III , IV and V ???
Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinium, Black&White 2?
Yes it would have been better to wait and make early gen 8 or generation 4(re-boot) instead with changes to abilities, moves and forms instead.

But they have done it and now we can anly hope that next games will change more game mechanics for our fun.
(sound SE on Levitate and flying, then a flying with soundproof will be good and soundproof Bronzong will be also better) , water compaction +1 to both defences and half water damage, the same with Heatproof and fire attacks

I guess. It's not a huge deal to me considering we had Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum, which were the same games as their predecessors. They had some alterations that made them fun in their own way. USUM is doing that, though I was very disappointed to see they weren't sequels but remakes (I stayed as much away from spoilers as much as I could). Should have just made one game called Pokemon Stars as the third core game. It wouldn't have gotten people's hopes up for a sequel and it would return the games to the format of having a third version fix what was broken.

I haven't played all the way through the game, but I have enjoyed what I have played so far. I played through a majority of Moon version last year right after it came out, and only recently finished it a few weeks ago. I don't remember a whole lot of the regular game's story, and since I only played through it once it feels fairly fresh to me.

From what I'm hearing, it starts to sound like what Monster Hunter is in Japan (MH1/MH1G. MH2/MH2G. MH3/MH3P/MH3G. etc). Though at least in that franchise's case, often it was only the updated version that got localized for international release (e.g. MH4 Ultimate is MH4G, but MH4 original never left Japan).

These Third Instalments are massive cash grabs, I was glad when XY never got Z. I think we as Pokémon fans deserve more, we've been treated as a cash grab with USUM.

Thing is in the past with a singular 3rd version there was usually a 2 year gap between them and the initial release and a sort of 3rd way storyline, emerald for example had both magma and aqua, platinum had new forms both emerald and platinum had the battle frontier, and yellow had all those awesome anime ad ins.

Problem is USUM seems to have even fewer changes being almost exactly the same until the altar of wherever. And to top it off making 2 versions just seems to be really milking it. Completely uncalled for. The selling point of 3rd versions was having access to often both sides of what was version exclusive in the initial pair. The only thing that really needs to still split is Cosmog but you could simply have just had a button saying do you want to play the sun flute or moon flute to determine which way nebby evolves.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom