• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Is Ultra Sun and Moon too Similar to Sun and Moon?

Thing is in the past with a singular 3rd version there was usually a 2 year gap between them and the initial release and a sort of 3rd way storyline, emerald for example had both magma and aqua, platinum had new forms both emerald and platinum had the battle frontier, and yellow had all those awesome anime ad ins.

Problem is USUM seems to have even fewer changes being almost exactly the same until the altar of wherever. And to top it off making 2 versions just seems to be really milking it. Completely uncalled for. The selling point of 3rd versions was having access to often both sides of what was version exclusive in the initial pair. The only thing that really needs to still split is Cosmog but you could simply have just had a button saying do you want to play the sun flute or moon flute to determine which way nebby evolves.
Not only that, but the lack of something on the scale of the Battle Frontier or PWT seems to shorten the amount of post-game for some. Plus, I don't think the Alola region itself has any new areas that people who played SM wanted to see, nor were most of the complaints about SM actually addressed. There's also the fact that X and Y needed an updated re-release way more than SM did in terms of both plot and content, making USUM seem more like filler games in comparison (even by other same-generation regional revision game standards). This makes me think that SM were simply rushed for the 20th anniversary and USUM got a similar treatment since Nintendo wanted Game Freak to move onto the Switch as soon as possible. The 3DS era of Pokémon really seemed to focus way more on style than substance, all because of the existence of stupid mobile games (who's audience Game Freak could never hope to attract to console and handheld games anyway).

Not only that, but the lack of something on the scale of the Battle Frontier or PWT seems to shorten the amount of post-game for some.
Not to disagree with your other points, but doesn't the Battle Tree fit this just fine? It's a battle facility with returning characters and various challenges.

Not to disagree with your other points, but doesn't the Battle Tree fit this just fine? It's a battle facility with returning characters and various challenges.
The Battle Tree only has a fraction of what the PWT offers, and you'll just have to keep battling random NPCs before you run into them. Plus it's just the same old Battle Tower clone we've had for years, so it doesn't offer anything particularly new or innovative.

[The Battle Tree's] just the same old Battle Tower clone we've had for years, so it doesn't offer anything particularly new or innovative.
Yeah. We need more extensive NON-battling facilities, like HGSS's Pokeathlon.

I don't think Sun and Moon were necessarily rushed, but I do agree that weird things happen when anniversary/celebration titles are involved (looking at you too, Monster Hunter Generations -- you're fun, but nowhere near as immersive as MH4U).

Are they too similar? Yes.

Do I care? Not really.

Reflecting on how I skipped Sun and Moon, I honestly don't think I'm in a position to whine and groan on about their similarities anymore. Should I get USUM and begin playing, this wouldn't feel like a repeat in my eyes.

Reminds me of how I skipped Diamond and Pearl back in Gen IV. I've played Platinum, but for some reason the Sinnoh region I just can't make myself care about...

‎Kazumasa Iwao: "Can I copy off your homework?"
‎Shigeru Ohmori: "Yeah just change it up a bit so it doesn't look obvious."

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seriously though, my answer to this question would be "Yes and No". I would say that I lean towards liking this version of the story better than the original, as I felt that a lot of the small changes made it a more enjoyable experience overall, whilst for the most part my favorite moments from the original storyline remained the same. Unfortunately though the one thing that came to mind when I played through the first three Islands is...this still feels a lot like the same old Alola! The only difference is that characters say some slightly different things and some of the Trials are different. It isn't until you confront Lusamine that the central plot of USUM, strictly speaking, really starts to diverge from the original.

So I definitely think they could've made it much more of an "alternate story", but I would say that overall, I liked Ultra Moon quite a bit better as a "third version" than Emerald & Platinum VS R/S & D/P. But I still wpuld've been happier with remakes of Diamond & Pearl as the final 3DS games before Pokémon Switch - Sinnoh is one of my favorite regions overall and I can't wait to see what they do with the Underground given how far Nintendo Wi-Fi has come.

I've just arrived in Konikoni City, so I can only answer this thread from that point. The answer being? Well, yes-it is very similar to the OG S&M. Not much has changed a part from several Pokemon rosters, additional Pokemon in old areas, Mantine Surf Spots, item relocation and more mini-quests/interactive events. However, these changes aren't as eye popping as you'd expect. To elaborate, Game Freak could have easily included all of this in the first pair of games. Rather than rush to get a product out, they should have taken their time and considered all the features they would, and could, implement and go from there.

As it stands, there's no logical point of purchasing Sun or Moon if you've bought Ultra Sun or Moon-that would just be buying the same game with less features and isolated options (such as the Johto Starters being available in SM but not USUM).

I know a lot of people say the game diverges once you reach the Aether Foundation though.

Now that I finished the game I can give an actual opinion.
I say it's about 90% the same as SM, but the 10% were so good imo. Not enough to make this still feel kinda like a cash grab though
The main differences are here:
- A much, much better story in my opinion. Probably because I avoided the internet before reaching this part, but the climax is much more hype than SM
- An improved post game with Rainbow Rocket, easier shiny hunting, Battle Agency, etc. It sucks that the Battle Tree seems lackluster still
- Colress has a much bigger role in this game, but Grimsley, Sina, and Dexio don't, which is a bummer

screen_shot_2017_12_06_at_12_29_08_pm_by_highrollerhydra-dbvxgxg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
And a lot of people who did want "Z" (a moniker) expected sequels with at least as much new content as B2W2. The south Kalos discussions on this forum were especially annoying.

But the majority of people were glad when SM were announced instead of Z, so there is nothing odd about their not caring for USUM.

Imo, USUM is a good Pokemon game in its own right. Even very good. The problem is that for someone like me who is only interested in third versions if they have A LOT of content, USUM is a bit disappointing. Sure, the game is too similar to SM some people claim, but that doesn´t bother me. What bothers me is the lack of content compared to Emerald, Platinum and BW2 (the previous region revisit games). All of them have definitely more content than USUM. More battle content (USUM only has 3 battle facilities, BW2 and Platinum have 5 each, Emerald has a whopping 8) and also more side content (Mantine Surf is very welcome, but not enough).

I mean, if they are gonna bring a concept like third versions back, when everybody thought they were done with it after Gen V and VI, they should have at least made sure USUM would be on par with previois third versions. It is inferior content wise, and this is disappointing for a game that only had to polish things since the base was already there from last year´s game... They had an entire year of time, and they only added a few minigames, one new Battle Facility only, and a short postgame episode. No Battle Frontier, no Alola formes (shockingly stupid decison) and there is some content that looks glaringly unfinished and rushed, like the Kantonian Gym.

The game just feels lazy and rushed (as much as I hate when people use this term for Pokemon games). Game Freak are becoming lazier over time, I have to admit. Or, rather, they are showing that they can´t handle a 3D game as well as a 2D game. Creating game content in 2D was surely less time consiming, and, as a result, they were able to cram in more content in their 2D games.

Last edited:
Imo, USUM is a good Pokemon game in its own right. Even very good. The problem is that for someone like me who is only interested in third versions if they have A LOT of content, USUM is a bit disappointing. Sure, the game is too similar to SM some people claim, but that doesn´t bother me. What bothers me is the lack of content compared to Emerald, Platinum and BW2 (the previous region revisit games). All of them have definitely more content than USUM. More battle content (USUM only has 3 battle facilities, BW2 and Platinum have 5 each, Emerald has a whopping 8) and also more side content (Mantine Surf is very welcome, but not enough).

I mean, if they are gonna bring a concept like third versions back, when everybody thought they were done with it after Gen V and VI, they should have at least made sure USUM would be on par with previois third versions. It is inferior content wise, and this is disappointing for a game that only had to polish things since the base was already there from last year´s game... They had an entire year of time, and they only added a few minigames, one new Battle Facility only, and a short postgame episode. No Battle Frontier, no Alola formes (shockingly stupid decison) and there is some content that looks glaringly unfinished and rushed, like the Kantonian Gym.

The game just feels lazy and rushed (as much as I hate when people use this term for Pokemon games). Game Freak are becoming lazier over time, I have to admit. Or, rather, they are showing that they can´t handle a 3D game as well as a 2D game. Creating game content in 2D was surely less time consiming, and, as a result, they were able to cram in more content in their 2D games.
It's for this reason that I want Game Freak to get help with 3D modeling from other companies. They seem compelled to go for more style with the 3D graphics, which ends up taking away the substance that people enjoy from the main series games. I especially worry because they're now moving onto HD graphics with the Switch, which will probably take up a lot of time in terms of development for the next games. I get that Game Freak likes to have smaller teams, but I think the smarter decision for them would be to enlist help with Genius Sonority once again (they worked on the Orre games and Battle Revolution). That company has already worked with 3D Pokémon models before and had their games compatible with the main series. If Game Freak leaves the modeling to them, then perhaps they would have more time to focus on other aspects of the Pokémon games such as potential content.

Yes and No.

In some places its a copy and paste, and in others its a completely different experience. I think USUM was released too close to SM for the fans to really feel the difference (12 months is a short window between first set of games and "remix" games).

That said, I'm happy that DPPt remakes did not happen this go round - Sinnoh is one of my favorite regions and I'd really prefer that GF spent their time with the region so we can "live and breathe it" sort of like Zelda.

I didn't really expect much difference in the games beyond light feature and story tweaks. Ultra S/M is a third version like Emerald and Platinum after all. They are not sequels like B2W2.

Though sadly these may be my last pokemon games for a while as I can't really afford a Switch at all for the foreseeable future. Oh well, I didn't get the Sinnoh games or B2W2 when they came out so I suppose I'll live vicariously through everyone else if the next games come soon. :p

They're different enough for me to enjoy them as the third versions that they are. Not sure what people were expecting but I don't think they're that similar like people are suggesting~
Same here, enough differences in plot, world and new things implemented that is appreciated.
Most third versions/ remakes tend to be similar to the previous games they are made on anyways, so I wouldn't care.

Yes and no. Yes because the plot is very similar up to the Ultra Megalopolis (or however it is spelled). No because you get to fight a new boss and have some extra sidequests, updated battles with improved difficulties, etc. As for the new boss... I prefer Mother Jellyfish of Sun and Moon. It was way too disappointing in USUM.

Like @Meta Boss said, seeing how Game Freak had made good third versions previously, USUM doesn't even reach the same level of them.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom