• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Unova the New Kanto?

Is Unova the New Kanto?

• Yes

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 40 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Unova the New Kanto?

Lol, no.

Alot of Unova just feels forced. And I blame it on Ash. He really feels out of place here, and it's not because he is a foreigner. It's mainly because of how his character is being handled. The disrespect for continuity and the overfocus on him.

And one other thing. Unova lacks the charm Kanto had. Hell, Anime!Unova lacks the charm Game!Unova has.

ohh please, for someone who has been here so long, that was a pretty nieve comment.

bw isn't kanto, but it's like kanto.

btw! i wasn't trying to be mean, but sinnoh and unova are nothing alike.
Well, I was going by dub standards. =P

If I were to compare B/W to any other series, it would be the D/P series for obvious reasons (new region, new Pokemon, has 3 people in the group, etc). Honestly, I see each series as its own unique series. But if I was going to compare B/W to a previous series, it would have to D/P. That's just my opinion though.

And BW Ash is probably the closest to Johto Ash in terms of personality
I disagree with this.

Personality wise, during Johto, Ash was very energetic.

But in B/W, Ash seems to lack that energy... He's completely different. To me, B/W Ash can be described as "Unova Ash". He's brand new and I really don't know what to make of that.

dub wise? your still riding the 4 kids bandwagon? please! dub wise bw is 100000000000000000000x better then diamond and pearl, the difference between sinnoh league victors and black and white is the same as advanced battle and battle frontier, right now tcpi are dubbing far better then 4 kids ever did

Good grief, I can't even post here without getting my head bitten off. Apparently, I'm not allowed to have an opinion. -_-

Anyway, you have your opinion and I have mine. So, let's just leave it at that. =P

Besides, you're just trying to start a fight. What you said obviously has nothing to do with this thread. The topic is about "comparing the B/W series to previous series", which is what I did in my post.

Basically listing what I said earlier but in an easier way. I think more people will see it that way.

- The games Best Wishes! has been based on have a far away region with the main story only having new Pokemon to capture (unless you trade from older games). Also there are a little over 150 Pokemon, just like Kanto. There are scenarios like Roggenrola and Woobat being the new Geodude and Zubat.

- The main protagonist we’re looking at is Ash- no main girl (like Dawn, and May kinda sorta became).

- His male and female friends are both gym leaders in the games, just like how Misty and Brock were. And doesn't Cilan cook and Iris mainly train with one type and is scared of ice types? I haven't watched much Unova, but if all that's true, it parallels to Misty except with different types.

- He started out with just Pikachu. (Hoenn did it to imitate Kanto in that sense too.)

- He got all three starters. (I believe he did that in Johto to imitate Kanto too.)

- They… sorta started over with a new score. Sorta. So it’s sorta a restart in that sense too.

- Wobbuffet's been gone. Although we first saw Jessie and James (and Meowth) with no Pokemon, unlike in Kanto.

- The pacing of the gyms so far, for the most part, has been faster than in Sinnoh and Hoenn.

- Heck, even the first B&W movie is similar to the Mewtwo movie because the main attaction (Mewtwo or Zekrom/Reshiram) isn't an event Pokemon, even though there's one in the movie (Mew or Victini). I don't know if this was intentional though. Maybe.

So I do believe it's the new Kanto. I think they've taken a lot of basic parallels from there but put things in different directions. But they've taken things in new directions. That's why I'm on the "new Kanto" side. Sure you can find various similarities between any two arcs, but I think the above parallels are (for the most part, anyway) significant enough and basic enough to really call Unova the new Kanto.

Winterdaze said:
Is X the new Y? Chances are the answer is no.
Kanto and Unova aren't exceptions.

I... don't get the comparison...

If you watch the Japanese version, its very similar to Johto.

If you watch the Japanese version, its very similar to Johto.

That's the only version of Best Wishes I watch. And it's not. Iris, Ash and Cilan actually entertain me. The characters didn't in Johto.

Good grief, I can't even post here without getting my head bitten off. Apparently, I'm not allowed to have an opinion. -_-

Anyway, you have your opinion and I have mine. So, let's just leave it at that. =P

Besides, you're just trying to start a fight. What you said obviously has nothing to do with this thread. The topic is about "comparing the B/W series to previous series", which is what I did in my post.

and i already answered that, and you said it was like sinnoh even though it's not! and you said dub wise it's like sinnoh! even though it's not.

you must not watch the dub anymore because what you said was stupid.

and obviously people have there own opinion but what you said is like me saying, ash looks like misty or brock has eyes

I wouldnt really say Unova feels like Johto.It seems to me more like weird combination of Johto and Hoenn. For start grpup pokemon are handled much better with their personalities being fleshed out beter, Cilan and Iris seem to get better focus than Misty and Brock received in that saga and number of fillers is much smaller with something important happening in majority of BW episodes.

When it comes to Kanto i really fail to see any remote similarity with Unova though. Kanto had wackly plots,out of place storyline,group provided more comedy and entertainment and series in general had different feeling to it.

Not to mention Ash being idiot back than was completely justified being inexperienced rookie who was just starting out. His naivety and immaturity was actually more charming than its case nowdays, with his downply as trainer compared to DP feeling like slap in face to all fans which followed his growth for years.
Back than anime also had more continuity to it with older characters being acknowledged that they still exist(as well older pokemon),compared to messed up timeline and story we have now in Bw.

Now i like Unova series but they seem inferior on so many levels at least imo compared to original series.

That's the only version of Best Wishes I watch. And it's not. Iris, Ash and Cilan actually entertain me. The characters didn't in Johto.

I dont know,personally i enjoyed in original trio from Johto not falling much behind Bw group imo.I remember Ash was still naive and stubborn but also started to mature being less reckless,Misty became more closer as friend while still still being stubborn,spunky and passionate about things.While Brock was eccentric, making sure to keep them out of trouble.

I blame lack of focus for some people not seeing that,but when they got chance to shine they had several memorable moments there.

Last edited:
pokemon fan_123 said:
I dont know,personally i enjoyed in original trio from Johto not falling much behind Bw group imo.I remember Ash was still naive and stubborn but also started to mature being less reckless,Misty became more closer as friend while still still being stubborn,spunky and passionate about things.While Brock was eccentric, making sure to keep them out of trouble.

I blame lack of focus for some people not seeing that,but when they got chance to shine they had several memorable moments there.

They have their moments, I cannot deny that. But I am speaking by looking at the general bulk of episodes. While watching BW episodes I am entertained the the twerps more than by watching Johto ones.

They have their moments, I cannot deny that. But I am speaking by looking at the general bulk of episodes. While watching BW episodes I am entertained the the twerps more than by watching Johto ones.

I see.I guess Bw trio in quantity is shaping to get more(due to characters getting more focus), but when taking about quality i feel both groups are equally entertaining.
I guess this group needed in Johto more screen time to shine and interact more.
But overall by looking in retrospective,Ash,Misty and Brock in Johto still actually felt like genuine group of friends( definitely more so than DP trio did).

Anyway i have to admit that Bw group chemistry is one of best we had in years(second favorite after original trio).Ash while regressed still feels kinda lively working well with new companions as character,Iris hyperactive and cynical side is binging humor and i like Cilan flamboyant and calm attitude not being one dimensional.

Though good dynamic is hardly enough to make series great.

No I don't thing so. Unova is Unova. It has similarities to it as well as to Johto like some people mentioned but it has it's own differences. I can't compare it to Kanto.

It's basically Johto only more entertaining because of Cilan and Ash's better Pokemon.

I voted yes because there are a lot of similarities. The opening sequence from BW001, him needing help from two gym leader friends, his Pokemon team closely mirroring his Kanto team, etc.

Is Unova the new Kanto? Not really nor would I want it to. I know the Kanto season had known for bad writing since the writers were very inexperienced but it did had an impact on its audiences. I want Unova to be its own region, a region/saga that can help it stand out but unforunately the writers just want to apply the whole revamp from the games and wanted the episodes to go very quick which isn't a good thing while going overboard w/ advertising the Pokemon....>_<;;;

The only difference between BW! and Kanto was the fact that the sidekicks are alot more active which is good. Iris doesn't have to be violent nor puts Ash down every time like Misty while Dento is a lot more entertaninig than Brock was. But I really hope the writers doesn't screw up and be giving Ash's team the Kanto treatment....I'm looking at you Tepig.>_>

^^ Yeah he was except for DP...-___- Also I think I realized that the the writers wanted Tepig's story to be familiar to Charmander just so they can make up for the fire lizard's screentime iir and also when Tepig reaches the Pignite stage, he may not be disobedient but he can also remain in mid-stage for a while unlike Charmeleon who was in his stage for 2-3 episodes.:p

I personally think that Unova has cast the other four regions into the shadows. You just don't hear anything about them anymore.

I personally think that Unova has cast the other four regions into the shadows. You just don't hear anything about them anymore.

Obviously. The writers wanted a fresh start. The only other region you hear about every once in a while is Kanto, and we got some cameos from Pokemon: Giovanni's Persian, as well as all of those past Pokemon in that one photographer's book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom