• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is your favorite starter the first one you ever picked?

Is your favorite starter your first?

• Yes

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 70.7%

• Total voters
It depends, varies from generation to generation. Normally, the first starter that I choose is or becomes my favourite, but not always. For instance, my first pick in the third generation was Treecko, then Mudkip and finally Torchic. And, currently, my favourite third generation starter is Torchic/Blaziken.

My ever first Pokémon pick was Tododile (Pokémon Silver) and although it is my favourite second generation starter (I think, not really sure), my all time favourites are Blaziken and Charizard. And sincerely, Totodile never had a chance, because I started with the Pokémon Anime and therefore was already in love with Charizard.

Last edited:
Mine was Chikorita and it's far from my favorite starter. It's Cyndaquil. :p

Kind of... It's tied for me. The first starter I ever chose was Cyndaquil when I played through an emulator of Crystal at 16 years old, and was my favorite starter up until Gen 7. The Popplio line is now at a dead tie with the Cyndaquil line, I can't choose between them. But, if I am only including one Pokemon from an evolution line, then Torracat takes the #1 spot.

I'll admit. nostalgia does play a good part in this opinion. If Crystal hadn't been my first game, I am sure that the Popplio line would be at the top.

Well, my first starter Pokemon was Squirtle in FireRed, but it isn't nearly one of my favourites (although I don't dislike it, either). I like Typhlosion, Swampert, Torterra, Samurott and Empoleon a lot better than Blastoise.

My first was Charmander in FireRed. And while once upon a time he probably would've been my favorite starter ever, I think in the long run I've grown to like my second starter ever much more, Turtwig. I think overall it's a tie between Torterra and Serperior. It's a shame, I love grass starters the best but the last few generations haven't given me any that I particularly like.

Not quite. My favorite starter is Chikorita; it wasn't the first starter I picked in the main games (that would be Squirtle). However, Chikorita was the first Pokemon that the personality test from Mystery Dungeon gave me, back in Explorers of Time. Then, I landed Chikorita again in Explorers of Sky. That sequence somewhat started my love for Chikorita.

This story isn't 100% accurate, since in Red Rescue Team, I landed Mudkip. But, in those games, Chikorita was a female only result, and Mudkip was the result for a Calm nature, which was the nature for Male Chikorita in the later games. So I guess I'm just "calm."

Do you mean ever as in since we first started or as in our first pick each gen?

For me charmander was my first in fire red. While I still love the charmander line to this day it was never my favorite. In terms of gen 1 starters it is but even as early as my very next game, emerald treecko was my favorite (even though it was the last one I tried out)

For a bit it stayed that way until I felt about even on all the hoenn starters. Sinnoh was good, oshawott was one of favorites but not the favorite, gen 6 and 7 had ok starters. But gen 8 came and scorbunny immediately became not just my favorite starter, but my favorite Pokemon. Which tended to be the case anyway because they're the ones I build the most bonds with. For a bit it was Sylveon and Lucario though as my favorite.

My first starter was Treecko in Ruby, but my favorite is Piplup, surprisingly, I didn't even pick Piplup with my first Sinnoh game, Diamond, I picked Turtwig. I switched from Grass-type starters (Treecko, Bulbasaur, Turtwig) to picking Water starters from Platinum onwards.

No, the first starter I've ever picked was Torchic, but my favourite starter in general is actually Popplio.
I still really like the Torchic line though, except for Combusken…

My first starter was technically Piplup, but I generally prefer the Johto starters, Charmander, Snivy, Popplio and Scorbunny.

No. My first starter was Torchic in Alpha Sapphire. I expected it to become some kind of bird, not... whatever Blaziken is. I prefer the other two fully evolved starters, although I'm not sure which one. None of the Honen starters really stand out to me to be honest. I could probably pick a favourite starter from most trios, but a favourite of all of them... that's just way to general of a criteria and an opinion I don't need to have.

my first picked starter was.. i think either torchic or mudkip, but my favourite is actually bulbasaur!

... i started with gen 3, even though i was aware of pokemon since the gen 1 days. i just didn't own my own game until much later. D:

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom