• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

It ain't original, but it works.

chaosmage

Reaction score
260.png

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Swampy's one of my favorite pokemon, so I figured I could start thing off basing my team around him. Unfortunately not much has changed for him this gen, so I'm running him as a pretty standard physical wall. Ice Beam is used over scald as it hits dragons in addition to ground types. Roar is used to abuse entry hazards, which Ferrothorn sets up.

598.png

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

With Swampert I obviously needed a grass resist, and since I felt like trying something new I opted to avoid Scizor and Heatran to go with Ferrothorn. Initially I had him as my special wall but switched as I felt the team needed more physical bulk. Spikes are great to abuse with Swampert's roar, and Leech Seed promotes yet more switches. Thunder Wave make life so much easier for Swampert and Tyranitar. Leech Seed is necessary for survivability as I lack something to pass wishes, while Gyro Ball is most often him most powerful attacking option.

248.png

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit
- Crunch

Initially I wanted to avoid making a weather team, but at this point I'm using two sandstorm immune, entry hazard using Pokemon, and the part of me that loves to win knew it was necessary. Tyranitar was chosen over Hippo because he's far more versatile, giving me room to experiment. This is something like the third set I've run, and it's been the most effective so far. Fire Blast is for steel types, particularly Ferrothorn who gives the team troubles otherwise. Pursuit for when I think can force a switch.

530.png

Excadrill (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Since I'm using sand stream, I figured I should use the games most powerful sweeper in the sand(or is that Garchomp, I've been out of the game for a while?) Anyway, the object is to use Swords Dance and hopefully sweep. Rapid spin over X-Scissor as I hate entry hazards, and the change in coverage seemed negligible.

gengar.png

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Disable

Gengar can spin block if I need him two, though unfortunately he needs to switch out as he can't really beat either 1v1. I've kept him over other ghosts however, because he's fast. 1/2 the team is slow, 2/3's if SS isn't up, so having something I can rely on to outspeed things is a lifesaver. Substitute and disable has proven extremely effective, essentially shutting down Pokemon who only have 1 move to deal with ghosts. Shadow Ball for stab while Thunderbolt provides great neutral coverage.

380.png

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SAtk / 192 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Grass Knot

I was having trouble with Dragons when Reuniclus was in this slot, so I switched to something to deal with them. The given EV's allow me to outspeed choice scarf Garchomp, while providing a bit more bulk. Meteor is absurdly powerful and is mainly used for revenge kills. Surf helps with coverage, hitting most of the steel types who resist dragon attacks. Grass Knot is mainly for Tyranitar.

Overall the team seems to work well, when I lose it usually seems to be because I mis-predicted something or I'm just unlucky. The only pokemon I've had a real issue with is Ferrothorn under the rain. Any changes I should make to deal with that menace?

So do you want your Ttar to play a defensive role? I think you'd get much better use out of 252 HP / 178 SPATK / 80 SPDEF with Sassy.

Since Sandstorm and Black Sludge cancel each other out have you tried Pain Split with Life Orb on Gengar?

Also Latias set seems good but to cripple Ferrothorn or any other wall like Blissey I think you should get Trick over Dragon Pulse.

Interesting, those sound like smart changes. I'll give T-tar and Gengar a shot, and switching to Trick on Latias seems like it would solve quite a few problems.

I think this team looks excellent and versatile, but there do seem to be one or two little problems.

Firstly, I think you have something of a Conkelldurr problem. He can quite easily smash Tyranitar, Excadrill and Ferrothorn with his STAB moves, and I doubt Gengar or Swampert would prevail against him either. Thus, once Latias is brought down you're in danger of being swept by a combination of Mach and Drain Punch, and Payback (the latter could in theory take down a weakened Latias as well.

The second I can see is a less sizable vulnerability to Reuniclus. It isn't huge, but he beats a lot of your team one on one and could get in a catastrophic set up.

This is just my opinion mind, and having not tested the team I can't say for certain. Overall it seems very good, but I might change Gengar for something like Chandelure or maybe something unrelated like Garchomp for the extra power.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom