• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Italian Scientists Unveil Thought-Controlled Robotic Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eredar Warlock

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,578806,00.html

Fox News said:
ROME — A group of European scientists say they have successfully connected a robotic hand to a man who had lost an arm, allowing him to feel sensations in the artificial hand and control it with his thoughts.

The experiment lasted a month. Scientists say it was the first time an amputee has been able to make complex movements using his mind to control a biomechanic hand connected to his nervous system.

The Italian-led team said at a news conference Wednesday in Rome that last year they implanted electrodes into the arm of the patient, who had lost his left hand and forearm in a car accident.

The electrodes were removed after a month, during which the man learned to wiggle the robotic fingers and make other movements.

If this is legit, we have one hell of a big breakthrough. Forget the Star Wars comparisons, this is actually pretty huge.

It's about time. Now to lop off my hands so that I can be a cyborg. A dream realized!

This is great, imagine if they expand on this, we could truly have more advanced cyborganic parts for other areas of the body. Also I couldn't resist:

"The electrodes were removed after a month, during which the man learned to wiggle the robotic fingers and make other movements."

This proves pokemon are real! jk!

God damn fucking Emperor Palpatine in the Vatican, and his god damn Scientific modifications.

If legit (and I believe it is) this is a medical breakthrough. Unless it's not cost effective.

I heard something like this a long time ago. A man who lost an arm had nerves taken from his chest, put into his shoulder, and put into the arm or something. That way, when he'd want to move where the nerves HAD been it would move the arm instead.

Unless this is different.

wow that's crazy

can you imagine what it would be like to have four artificial limbs? x_x

I saw this on the news this morning, if it's legit (which I'd think it'll be) it is really a good (and cool looking)invention.

I'd love to see what else they learn to replace...

What? Wouldn't you like a nice robotic honker?

Cool.

Now get me 2 pairs of Arceus legs and put them on my body. NAO.

Pretty cool..~

I was talking with a castmate today and she still suffers from her broken back from when she was little, and I told her about this. It's nice to think someday this might be able to help her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom