• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

It's becoming more unusual that we only have 1 anime version of the Pokemon franchise

SinnohBoi

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Think about it for a moment: The Pokemon Company is becoming increasingly more focused on the mobile landscape. This, in turn, is the reason why Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee exists - to capture this audience and bring them to their other platforms. Right now we have Masters, Pokemon Go and Rumble in the mobile field - Sword and Shield, Detective Pikachu and Let's go in the Video game field and so forth. What this all shows us is that Pokemon is adapting in so many different ways these days, and The Pokemon Company wants to stretch this as far as they can. Which begs the question, why is there only 1 anime adaption of the franchise? (why is the media side of Pokemon underrepresented. Why not more?) Generations shows us that we can have more than just one universe in the anime (as well as Movie's 20 and 21). So why not make another? Surely TV Tokyo would be open to more Pokemon on their programming? This question also leaks into OLM, who have been experimenting a lot lately. Why not keep the traditional show as it is, and use this experimenting for a separate program? An all CGI mystery dungeon show or even a detective pikachu anime could work. From what we know about Sword and Shield as far, it will take us through Galar as well as other regions. We could have had another show focusing on journeys outside of the galar region, which probably sounds like a better idea. There is also this question of Ash's face being attached to the anime. Another anime programming could tell us if the audience is receptive to change, without it being a bad thing considering Ash would still be in the anime. What do you think? Do you think we could have more than just 1 Pokemon anime?

Think about it for a moment: The Pokemon Company is becoming increasingly more focused on the mobile landscape. This, in turn, is the reason why Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee exists - to capture this audience and bring them to their other platforms. Right now we have Masters, Pokemon Go and Rumble in the mobile field - Sword and Shield, Detective Pikachu and Let's go in the Video game field and so forth. What this all shows us is that Pokemon is adapting in so many different ways these days, and The Pokemon Company wants to stretch this as far as they can. Which begs the question, why is there only 1 anime adaption of the franchise? (why is the media side of Pokemon underrepresented. Why not more?) Generations shows us that we can have more than just one universe in the anime (as well as Movie's 20 and 21). So why not make another? Surely TV Tokyo would be open to more Pokemon on their programming? This question also leaks into OLM, who have been experimenting a lot lately. Why not keep the traditional show as it is, and use this experimenting for a separate program? An all CGI mystery dungeon show or even a detective pikachu anime could work. From what we know about Sword and Shield as far, it will take us through Galar as well as other regions. We could have had another show focusing on journeys outside of the galar region, which probably sounds like a better idea. There is also this question of Ash's face being attached to the anime. Another anime programming could tell us if the audience is receptive to change, without it being a bad thing considering Ash would still be in the anime. What do you think? Do you think we could have more than just 1 Pokemon anime?

Because animation is hard work and to make another anime show running on a daily basis would be unnecessary. Games are designed for every possibility that the computer calculated, so you can have many different adventures for years without getting bored. Animation cannot do that. Likewise, the mangas can simply be drawn by one artist on a bi-monthly basis, but not animation. You'll need a team to do animation for an episode on a daily basis.

The Pokémon Company has already released more than one anime of Pokémon. It's just that these anime spin-offs like Origins and Generation cost time and money, which is why they are so short.

I'm all for more than one Pokémon anime at a time. I actually find it strange they just toss almost all of the characters after 3-4 years and start a new series to promote the current games, instead of giving them more time for character development and trainer development. If the series were longer, it'd give more time to flesh out the characters more, let them catch more Pokémon and the arcs wouldn't be so rushed. Even after their respective series ended, we could still see their new adventures in time for remakes. Shoving everything into one main anime was never a good idea tbh.

Wish they went that route with the new series, finish current Ash's journey in SwSh anime and simultaneously do a Kanto reboot, fixing the old mistakes and making Ash closer to his game counterpart.

I'm all for more than one Pokémon anime at a time. I actually find it strange they just toss almost all of the characters after 3-4 years and start a new series to promote the current games, instead of giving them more time for character development and trainer development. If the series were longer, it'd give more time to flesh out the characters more, let them catch more Pokémon and the arcs wouldn't be so rushed. Even after their respective series ended, we could still see their new adventures in time for remakes. Shoving everything into one main anime was never a good idea tbh.

Wish they went that route with the new series, finish current Ash's journey in SwSh anime and simultaneously do a Kanto reboot, fixing the old mistakes and making Ash closer to his game counterpart.

How is that strange when the majority of the characters are tied to the generation they are introduced in.

How is that strange when the majority of the characters are tied to the generation they are introduced in.
It's strange they rush the plot to finish the saga in 3 years so they could switch to new generation instead of working on 2 series at the same time. Sure, they'll save money but lose the opportunity to make some aswell, because old marketable characters are doomed to never come back for a significant amount of time.

It's strange they rush the plot to finish the saga in 3 years so they could switch to new generation instead of working on 2 series at the same time. Sure, they'll save money but lose the opportunity to make some aswell, because old marketable characters are doomed to never come back for a significant amount of time.

It is not really all that strange IMO. Running two series cost money and it is time consuming.

Tbh I wouldn't want two Pokemon series running simultaneously anyway. I don't think that the main series is that great, but it does its job of promoting Pokemon to increase merch sales well and a second series would just be a waste of money and might negatively affect the first series' budget.

I feel the biggest issue preventing the addition of a second series is diminishing returns. Animation isn't cheap and has long production cycles, which on its own is a big risk, add on top of that the fact that by making another series you aren't exactly doubling how many people you reach with it, if anything, you're most likely to increase the number of individual people watching either show by a mere fraction.

The idea of a new anime adaptation is necessary given the current one is no longer appealing to anyone above the age of six. But it's not an easy solution. The costs of making an episode and getting good voice actors is one issue. An even worse issue is marketing, especially in Western nations who's studios are still convinced the current anime is the only thing about the franchise, leading to the risk of misaimed marketing, and therefore, the series failing by either low ratings or having a huge hatedom.

And there's the chance this second adaptation could be botched, insuring the efforts, money, and time are wasted on a failure of an anime. Remember Fant4stic and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time? The first was a reboot, the second a long-awaited sequel. Fans of the two franchises waited years for them, and were hyped when announced. But both failed miserably because they were botched by the producers/developers, causing their fans to pretend they never happened.

So a second anime adaptation of the Pokémon games is a huge risk. Many of us want it, but with the main anime in the way, it won't be easy.

Yeah, you don't see two Sentai series getting adapted as Power Rangers simultaneously even though that would be quite possible (as there's a backlog of four seasons). Frankly, Digimon having Adventure Tri and Universe Applimonsters simultaneously was unusual. I'm not surprised there isn't more than one main Pokemon anime series at a time. It's no good competing with yourself.

why is the media side of Pokemon underrepresented. Why not more?
Underrepresented compared to what? Neither Super Mario or Legend of Zelda had TV serials since decades. Closest would be Sonic Boom, which only lasted few seasons.

Serebii made a post on Facebook on September 1st that a new anime series has been announced, and we are due for a full reveal on the 29th. Considering it will just be called "Pocket Monsters" in Japan, this does not seem to be the next series in the current anime series following Ash, however, we'll find out for sure in a few weeks.

So seemingly, we will be having a second anime series, and let's just hope that it's more than a few episodes in length.

Honestly I'd be fine if the franchise invested in some sort of...E.U if you would. Say, a series of manga or books that were aimed at an older audience/the perp. demographic more than the anime, and well marketed enough to become a third major pillar to the anime and games.

(Adventures is NOT this)

For example, if I was in charge of it, the manga/books would star 'Ash for the older', while the anime would be 'Ash for the younger'. Manga/Book Ash would basically be a broad strokes future for Anime Ash.

Now I am not going to be in charge of that for many reasons: Among them I'd basically leave subtext for Ash x every female companion everywhere like I'm a spore releasing plant, but I think it would work out for itself well enough.

I mean if Gravity Fallls can sell millions with side material, what can Pokemon do?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom