• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

It's been a while since I've made a thread, so here's a basic question. Which starter trio is your personal favorite?

What is your favorite starter generation?

• Gen 6: Delphox, Greninja, Chestnaught

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 8: Cinderace, Rillaboom, Inteleon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Kalos and Alola are the only two gens where I do love all the starters and their evolutions

(so far, 3rd gen remains the only gen where I hate 3 and their evolutions)

Unova has Tepig, which is my favorite Pokémon, but I don't like it's evolutions and the other two as much. I'd have to go with Alola, with Kalos as a close second.

I'll go with the Sinnoh starters, since I really like Torterra and Empoleon design-wise (and both have unique typings, too), and even Infernape isn't too bad compared to the likes of Blaziken and Delphox.

The Kanto ones have a special place in my heart due to their original artwork and their association with Pocket Monsters.
The Johto trio is quite good...I still remeber getting chicken bumps due to the GS promotion. I had and have the opportunity to use them all in my beloved HG.
Last but not least, the Sinnoh trio is really good and are all quite cute.

Honestly, I couldn't choose between the Hoenn trio and the Sinnoh trio. If I had to pick, it'd be the Sinnoh trio because I've had tons of memories with Torterra, plus I'd actually genuinely start with a Chimcar for Infernape, but I'd actually say the same thing for Hoenn's Torchic, as well. Both of them are essentially tied for me for favourites.

I'd say the Johto starter trio followed by the Unova starter trio. Johto was my favorite region when I was younger so I'm probably just biased in favor of anything Johto related.

Ohh, now that's a good question. (y)

I would probably say the Gen II trio, as I've enjoyed PMD Meganium, main game story Typhlosion, and competitive Feraligatr. All three lines have given me good experiences which is kinda rare, usually one or two of them just don't seem to live up.

Generation 3 is the rare one where I like each starter line from start to finish.

All three lines are great.

Other than that Gen 4 and 7 have great starters too.

Hmm, it’s hard to say because I quite like all of them but if I had to pick...

View attachment 123329View attachment 123330View attachment 123331

Their designs were some of the best but I feel like they should have been retyped to Grass/Dragon, Fire/Ground, Water/Fighting.

My favourite is probably the Alola trio. All of them had amazing first and last stages.

Next is probably the Sinnoh or Kalos starters. They had mostly good designs but I rank them a little lower cause I don't particular like some of them even though they were good, objectively.

For me it would be a tie with Sinnoh,Johto, and Alola. I think the designs for the generations of the games are really cool and unique along with their evolution designs as well. I also love these starters for their moves as well and pretty good to use in battle and each 3 starters that I mentioned are fun in their own way. But i still like the designs from Kanto, Unova, XY, etc

The Johto trio because they're the cutest in their base forms, and all of their evolutions (even the middle ones, where a lot of the other starters struggle) are cool. Honorable mention goes to the Sinnoh trio, who have my favorite final evolutions of all the starters (especially Empoleon).

These types really feel tacked on if the designs are unchanged (it might fit Samurott as it is though).

How so? Serperior has several draconian features and shares many similarities with wyrms. The natural association between pigs and mud aside, Emboar's design also draws inspiration from chinese ceramics and pottery.

The Kanto, Johto, and Alola Starters are all topi picks for this choice. If I had to narrow it down though, it would be between Johto and Alola, and then finally Alola coming out on top.

Kanto starters because I like all their first stages and all their third stages. While I can pretty easily stick Charizard into my least favorites list simply because of all the extra attention the developers give it (while not giving equal love to the other two starters), I do actually like Charizard, and Venusaur and Blastoise are amazing. But when it comes down too it. Ivysaur's pretty cool, Wartortle's amazing, but Charmeleon is just bigger Charmander, not all exciting. They definitely have their Gen 1 status going against them too when it comes to how much I actually like them.

The Johto starters would actually be a recent pick for this. I love all the evolution stages in both the Cyndaquil and the Chikorita lines. While Totodile definitely would fall pretty low on my list of ranking all the starter Pokemon, what it has above the other starters who also fall low is the fact that it's a water starter. I literally can't hate a water starter. I like them all. Totodile is adorable and while I am not too big on Croconaw or Feraligatr design-wise, I do have a lot of nostalgia for the line, seeing as my first game was Crystal, and my starter was Cyndaquil. So thus, my rival had the Totodile line, so whenever I think of Feraligatr, I think of Silver, one of my favorite rivals to date. What puts them below the Alola starters though is the fact that besides Totodile being cute and nostalgia, I'm not a big fan of that line.

While I don't completely like every form of the starters in Alola, I do at least like them for some qualities. This was also the generation where after playing through every starter, I still could not decide which one I like the most. My initial decision for starter (when they were revealed), came to me quickly with Litten. Litten was a cat, how could I not. Torracat is also one of my favorite Pokemon. Incineroar is one of the two evolutionary stages on this set that I don't fully enjoy. I do like INcineroar as a standalone Pokemon. The concept is awesome and the design is cool. But, looking at it with Litten and Torracat, I just wanted this feline to stand on four legs so badly. Even with just a few design changes and a different concept, they could have pulled it off with most of the Incineroar design we have now. Rowlet is an adorable round owl, who can not love that? Dartrix is the other one I don't like as much, but again I just like to imagine him as an emo kid and then I laugh a bit and like him a lot more. Decidueye is great in concept, though I think they could have made it a bit sleeker. No real quarrel though. Then finally the perfection that is the entire Popplio line. To this day, I still have trouble picking between the three, but I can at least narrow it between Litten and Popplio.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom