• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

It's been over a year. What is your opinion on the Fairy Type now?

A step in the right direction but I would have dropped the bug resist for a ghost one and make fairy moves resisted by grass and ice. There are lots of potential designs for fairies in mythology hopefully Gemefreak will look them up.

My opinion hasn't really changed. Despite being opposed to the idea of a new type before the Fairy type was actually revealed, I like the type and feel it was a needed change. It helps that some of my favourite Pokemon are Fairy type.

That said, the type chart is still unfair against several types, such as Grass, Ice and Bug. They need buffing, if only by a bit.

Didn't really need to exist, and very few Fairy types appeal to me. Some of the retcons seemed rather pointless in my eyes.

I dislike the type entirely. There isn't any descent fairy types apart from Xerneas and Fairy Arceus. Fairy being super effective on Dragons is just ridiculous and doesn't make sense in my opinion. At least Dragons can kill fairy with poison and steel moves. Game Freak should not have invented such a horrible type as fairy.

Trick room + Fairy = Dragon quest to home.

Dragon users hate fairies, thats a very good sign that it works well, Poison got a good buff, steel is now also offensive and the game started to be more hard and changed for every one.

Fairy being super effective on Dragons is just ridiculous and doesn't make sense in my opinion.

(Copied from older comment)

The logic behind Fairy moves being supereffective to Dragons and Fairies being immune to Dragon attacks has to do with lore behind fairies. In the West, we usually think of fairies as small creatures with pretty wings that live among flowers, but this is pretty removed from the traditional definition of "fairy". Technically, a fairy is any humanoid creature with magical powers. Witches are fairies. Nymphs are fairies. Anything with magical powers that is humanoid is a fairy.
In fairy tales, the bad guy is usually a big evil dragon, who is defeated by a courageous hero who has the power of good on their side. Fairies are often seen as the essence of all that is good, while dragons are the big-bad who is defeated. (This ties into why Fairy is good against Dark and Fighting. Side note, also why they don't do well against Steel types; cold iron protects against spirits and magic.)

Everybody who says some of the resistances and advantages Fairy type has don't make sense, do some research before claiming such thing.

Most of the issues Fairy has at the moment like most of them being slow (introduction of some fast fairy types will fix this) and small number of fairy moves (specially physical) will most likely be rectified in Gen 7. Still feel that the Bug resistance was completely unnecessary (even though it kind of makes sense).

Last edited:
Fairy-types aren't OP imo (probs because I use Metagross frequently in battles) - it's that some of the other types aren't good (like Ice, or Ice, maybe Ice...) If Fairy is weak to Bug, I'd say it would be perfect.

If Fairy is weak to Bug, I'd say it would be perfect.
i don't think that would really help. offensively bug is just resisted by too many things, especially too many popular and common types, to ever just be used. similarly with an ice weakness; they're just weak to too many common types and another boost to Ice's already good offensive capabilities would end up just helping non-Ice types (namely bulkier Waters).

7 types resist the bug type I understand but evey new change has its good and bad sides.

what if Bug would resist atleast Normal type moves?
Ice could resist fairies?

Think about good ice type pokemon. Many of them could be good... But they are a horrible defensive type. Maybe Ice can resist water and poison?

I quite like it simply because people like to overlook it. The only online battling of any sort I do is with my friends, and most of them are still unfamiliar with the Fairy type, especially its strengths and weaknesses. Before they realised it, I've Moonblasted them all away.

Think about good ice type pokemon. Many of them could be good... But they are a horrible defensive type. Maybe Ice can resist water and poison?
why would ice resist Water and Poison though?

7 types resist the bug type I understand but evey new change has its good and bad sides.

what if Bug would resist atleast Normal type moves?
Ice could resist fairies?
their three weaknesses are far too common. it also kind of defeats the purposes of Normal's "i don't get hit by anything super-effectively (except fighting), but i don't deal anything super-effectively" design. similarly for ice: it's other weaknesses are far too common.

Fairy being super effective on Dragons is just ridiculous and doesn't make sense in my opinion.

The logic behind Fairy moves being supereffective to Dragons and Fairies being immune to Dragon attacks has to do with lore behind fairies. In the West, we usually think of fairies as small creatures with pretty wings that live among flowers, but this is pretty removed from the traditional definition of "fairy". Technically, a fairy is any humanoid creature with magical powers. Witches are fairies. Nymphs are fairies. Anything with magical powers that is humanoid is a fairy.
In fairy tales, the bad guy is usually a big evil dragon, who is defeated by a courageous hero who has the power of good on their side. Fairies are often seen as the essence of all that is good, while dragons are the big-bad who is defeated. (This ties into why Fairy is good against Dark and Fighting. Side note, also why they don't do well against Steel types; cold iron protects against spirits and magic.)

Wasn't fighting supposed to be the type of honor, justice, and heroism (hence the strength against Dark)?

The Fairy-type needs better moves imo. Moonblast, Play Rough, and Light of Ruin (which is still unreleased) are so far the only powerful Fairy-type attacks. There needs to be another physical Fairy-type move (something like a Fairy-type version of Double-Edge or Close Combat), and a stronger special Fairy-type move in the vein of Fire Blast or Hydro Pump.

Wasn't fighting supposed to be the type of honor, justice, and heroism (hence the strength against Dark)?

I think the reasoning is supposed to be slightly different. Fighting type usually uses kicking and punching moves (open honest brute force), whereas Dark has moves like "Bite" and "Snatch", combative techniques which are usually considered not cricket.

Comparatively, if any Type could be considered pacifist, it would probably be Fairy, so its good against Fighting for ethical/spiritual/symbolic reasons.

The Fairy-type needs better moves imo. Moonblast, Play Rough, and Light of Ruin (which is still unreleased) are so far the only powerful Fairy-type attacks. There needs to be another physical Fairy-type move (something like a Fairy-type version of Double-Edge or Close Combat), and a stronger special Fairy-type move in the vein of Fire Blast or Hydro Pump.
maybe more moves with diffrent effects? Like a fairy version of ironhead?
or a double switch move that causes both user and oponent to switch?
also fairies need more pokemon with diffrent dual typings and abilities.

Last edited:
I like the fairy type, although I do agree about some better moves, but then again it's just a starting type. The only reason I don't tend to like is because of it's super advantage over Dark types (which I always have one on my team 99% of the time) and how I always forget it's super effective against Dark, but otherwise, I really like it. Xerneas and Florges are my favorite fairy type Pokemon. o3o.

The Pokés chosen for make part of fairy-type are bizarre. Mr. Mime be a fairy-type is a joke. A bad Joke.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom