• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

James Carter Cathcart

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I was worried when I first saw this thread. Even though it didn't have any dates, I was worried that it meant that he had passed away, so I'm glad that isn't the case. It does sound like the treatment has been hard for him physically. Hopefully it will be effective for dealing with his cancer, even if it will take awhile to find out how helpful the treatments have been.

I wish him the best of luck on his recovery, and happy to hear JCC's been getting better. I've been critical of his TPCi era script writing for the dub (never cared for it, was always one of the things I generally held against the current dub in fact relative to the older/original dub) and generally the major roles he took over (was not a big fan of any of them), but I still don't wish the man any ill will & no one should have to go through this.

I hope he's okay, as it looks like he lost some weight from the chemotherapy.

I did like some lines he came up from Seasons 5-8 as well as his Gary generally all 25 years he did the role (still annoys me he's the only major character to keep his original English VA through both dubs, but it is what it is, unfortunately) though that's a case I preferred his rendition from OS-DP the first 13 years. I also thought JCC was a much better Pryce than Kyle Hebert in Masters, and I liked his Todd Snap more than the current one, among other roles he originated. His Turtwig & Torterra were also pretty good, IMO.

Last edited:
I was scared to open this thread because I was fearing it would've contained some sort of bad news like him passing away. THANKFULLY that wasn't the case .

It appears that he is going through a very difficult time with his treatment, but he is making the best of it.

Stay strong Mr.Cathcart!

An update on Mr. Cathcart's condition:

It's a pretty painful treatment period, but he seems to be doing alright for now, thankfully.

(May he recover from his bout with cancer, I do have fond memories of most of his 4Kids Era work even though my opinion of his TPCi Era work is largely the reverse & regardless, sad to see the only person who managed to survive all the cast changes & overhauls + studio changes through 25 years albeit given the offer to do so between 8-9 many weren't, not doing so well health-wise)

P.S. It is a shame they didn't give him back Pryce in Masters, when he got to reprise his other roles for some reason, and same goes for Todd Snap later too in my book (I liked his much more than Griffin Burns, needs to be a VC for Snap sometime, he's winning the Pryce one thankfully).

Great, more bad news. At least they're still trying to get him treated, but for how much longer?

Bad news? No one said anything about things going south, so all we can do is wait and not spread misinformation. If you haven't checked his CaringBridge page, I say do that first to get all the info on the process. Long story short, it's treatable, but it's a difficult process, as many folks who've gone through this can probably tell you.

Found this update from the 24th July

Good afternoon (NY time) everyone,

I want, first of all, to thank every single person who has visited Jimmy CartingBridge since my last post, even when there were no new posts, pix, or videos. If you're registered with CaringBridge, I know who you are. For the hundreds of you who haven't, thank you for your presence. Seeing the number of visitors speaks volumes to the love and support that each of you has for Jimmy/Carter/JCC, and it is sustaining for me, as well.

I've written rather vaguely over the last month; I can be a bit more specific now because the situation, while still "fluid," has changed a bit. Difficult as this last month has been, we remain hopeful! (GOOD!)

In the wake of the various complications that arose just prior to the completion of the course of curative treatment, the final few sessions are now permanently "on hold." Because of the length of the break in treatment, it is likely that Jimmy will go forward into treatment recovery without those last sessions. At about 1 month out from treatment (which is where we are now) most of the mouth sores are healing well and Jimmy's tongue and roof of mouth are pink again. It's so good to see! But swallowing is still seriously compromised and he will have inflammation and swelling impinging on his airway for some time yet. The possibility of accidental aspiration of secretions is serious and real, and likely has already happened on a couple of occasions.

In light of all of the above, Jimmy continues to be receiving some intensive and extensive out-of-home care. Medically, he is coming along well (GOOD!); emotionally (in what is sometimes called a "brain-wise" manner), he has been struggling from what became actual malnutrition, combined with disease and treatment processes, as well as pain and how this multi-factor situation affects anyone's brain/body system. The medical team has been working very hard to support Jimmy in achieving a place where he is calm enough to rebuild strength, but not so much so that he is too groggy to engage in the PT that he needs in order to come home. This is where medicine is truly art, attunement, and compassion as well as -- maybe even more so -- than science as we know it in the western world.

I am grateful for the real-time support and presence of so many: my pastoral colleagues Arden and Paul, Susan, Anne H, Mike B, Liz M, everyone in our IAA Zoom Reunion family -- and especially our combined set of kids & their partners, most of whom were able to get to NYC for about a week, and one of whom lives locally and comes to be/sit with us as much as she can.

So we continue day by day, moment by moment, resting in your love as a direct manifestation of God's love for all and for all.

Wishing you all peace and light; hold your loved ones close; give thanks for each moment of every day; and watch for gifts of grace that may surprise you, coming in the most unexpected places!

All the best,

Martha

Found this update from the 24th July

Good afternoon (NY time) everyone,

I want, first of all, to thank every single person who has visited Jimmy CartingBridge since my last post, even when there were no new posts, pix, or videos. If you're registered with CaringBridge, I know who you are. For the hundreds of you who haven't, thank you for your presence. Seeing the number of visitors speaks volumes to the love and support that each of you has for Jimmy/Carter/JCC, and it is sustaining for me, as well.

I've written rather vaguely over the last month; I can be a bit more specific now because the situation, while still "fluid," has changed a bit. Difficult as this last month has been, we remain hopeful! (GOOD!)

In the wake of the various complications that arose just prior to the completion of the course of curative treatment, the final few sessions are now permanently "on hold." Because of the length of the break in treatment, it is likely that Jimmy will go forward into treatment recovery without those last sessions. At about 1 month out from treatment (which is where we are now) most of the mouth sores are healing well and Jimmy's tongue and roof of mouth are pink again. It's so good to see! But swallowing is still seriously compromised and he will have inflammation and swelling impinging on his airway for some time yet. The possibility of accidental aspiration of secretions is serious and real, and likely has already happened on a couple of occasions.

In light of all of the above, Jimmy continues to be receiving some intensive and extensive out-of-home care. Medically, he is coming along well (GOOD!); emotionally (in what is sometimes called a "brain-wise" manner), he has been struggling from what became actual malnutrition, combined with disease and treatment processes, as well as pain and how this multi-factor situation affects anyone's brain/body system. The medical team has been working very hard to support Jimmy in achieving a place where he is calm enough to rebuild strength, but not so much so that he is too groggy to engage in the PT that he needs in order to come home. This is where medicine is truly art, attunement, and compassion as well as -- maybe even more so -- than science as we know it in the western world.

I am grateful for the real-time support and presence of so many: my pastoral colleagues Arden and Paul, Susan, Anne H, Mike B, Liz M, everyone in our IAA Zoom Reunion family -- and especially our combined set of kids & their partners, most of whom were able to get to NYC for about a week, and one of whom lives locally and comes to be/sit with us as much as she can.

So we continue day by day, moment by moment, resting in your love as a direct manifestation of God's love for all and for all.

Wishing you all peace and light; hold your loved ones close; give thanks for each moment of every day; and watch for gifts of grace that may surprise you, coming in the most unexpected places!

All the best,

Martha
Wish him the best of luck on his continued recovery: good to see the mouth sores healing, but hope his swallowing recovers soon.

Latest update from the 25th August

Rehab, Day 3

No rehab center is perfect; what's most important at the end of the day, is excellence in the clinical staff. Jimmy is incredibly blessed with PT/OT and "speech/swallow" therapists as well as nurses who are compassionate, passionate about their work -- and very, very good at what they do. (GOOD!)

Jimmy's daily schedule has 60-90 minutes of various forms of PT & OT, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. He also has about 30 min of speech/swallow therapy, 6 days/week. There actually is a sabbath, a rest from the work of rehab, on the 7th day. (VERY GOOD!)

Today's (amazing!) highlights: Jimmy can now "pedal" himself in a wheelchair, navigating in/out of elevators, around humans and inanimate objects, without assistance. (EXCELLENT!)He is doing positional transfers (eg, bed to chair, chair and walk to sink or toilet) with a walker and minimal staff assistance. PT worked on upper and lower body strength today; OT worked on relaxation and physical transfers. But the best was....

...speech/voice therapy (saving the swallowing for now -- not quite ready for that). One of the exercises was supposed to be about achieving a volume/strength increase on the same pitch (basically, a small crescendo). But the speech therapist modeled it as a change in pitch (open 5th) with the upper note getting the volume increase. So of course that's what Jimmy did -- on vowel sounds "ah," "eeee," and "ohhh" -- and that last one was...breathtaking! His 5th was perfect (what else from this, the person with perfect pitch and perfect relative pitch) and the tone, so pure and clear that I wanted him to go on for another couple of seconds (or forever), because it sounded like Gregorian chant, or an "ohm" chant, and I felt my whole nervous system relax almost immediately when he hit it. I wish that every one of you could have heard it. It was not only "breathtaking" -- it was "breath-giving." (MYSTICAL...)

In other news, Jimmy's feedings were transitioned successfully today from continuous feeding to scheduled "feeds" - 5x / day. This is huge because it allows him independent mobility without a "pump pole." Hydration goes through the feeding tube with each feeding time. Pill meds get crushed and dissolved in liquid that goes through a different connector tube, but through the feeding line.

So literally, "step by step" we go, hoping and praying for the best outcomes possible, and with Jimmy committing every bit of his energy into rehab so he can come home safely, and so that we can rebuild our lives and life together, for however long we both shall live.

During the worst days in June and early July I had only 2 prayers: the first was that Jimmy would wake up so we could look in each other's eyes again; the 2nd was for time. We have been given both -- and so much more -- already. The future is open; it remains uncertain -- but wind from the feathers of hope is fluttering ever so gently around us. May it be so also for each of you.

With gratitude,

Martha & Jimmy

I’m not gonna lie, I get a little nervous every time I see a new post on this thread regarding Mr. Cathcart, fearing some bad news regarding his condition.

My thoughts and well wishes to the Cathcart family.

I’m not gonna lie, I get a little nervous every time I see a new post on this thread regarding Mr. Cathcart, fearing some bad news regarding his condition.

My thoughts and well wishes to the Cathcart family.
I dread to imagine being the one to post here saying he had died, it was bad enough losing Billy Kametz, maybe James Carter Cathcart live for many more years or decades

Back
Top Bottom