• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

James [Team Rocket]

AngelGuardian

~I think I Lost My Mind~
Reaction score
Do you think that James is compatible for Team Rocket or not?Well you can discuss it here...

Not really. The anime makes it clear that his life at home was a very unhappy one. His parents never cared about his happiness as much as they cared about their own, and he was practically being forced into a marriage he wanted no part of.

I think his joining Team Rocket was a way of rebelling against them as well as getting as far away from them as possible.

He makes a great comedic villian, but if the question is whether or not James has truly evil intentions, then the answer is no.

Well, I've always though of Team Rocket to be comic relief characters, particularly James and Meowth. But if you put that aside, no,he shouldn't be in Team Rocket.

James is far too kindhearted to actually fit in Team Rocket. Jessie and Meowth don't really fit on the team either, but they have thicker skin and are somewhat more selfish than James. Probably because they're orphans that had to fend for themselves since they were small, while James was raised in luxury.

James may be the worst at being bad, but they all fail as villains.

He's not particularly the Team Rocket type, but due to circumstances he's been able to fit in. They provided him a group to feel at home with after leaving his high-class life alone.

Well, in Holy Matrimony, James pretty much stated he wants to stay a part of Team Rocket to have his freedom. That could be because he doesn't want to be married to Jessiebelle, but also because he feels his heart is in Team Rocket.

His feelings toward the upper-class society show that maybe after all those years of strict rules, he actually is willing to be in Team Rocket, which shows he sort of keeps the team together.

I think DP117 did the best job of showing how he feels about all of this.

Yup. He mostly feels like it's something they should do together. He, Jessie and Meowth made a promise when they became a team, to become Team Rocket's "brightest stars". Split them all up and he becomes utterly lost. And then tries to manage on his own and nearly gets killed. :lol:

James isn't Team Rocket material. He's way too sweet.

However, he does belong with Team Rocket, because then where would he be? His life would be going nowhere. At least in Team Rocket he feels like he has a purpose.

I actually like James the way he is. I agree with the rest of you who believe James shouldn't be in TR. He can be likable.

In terms of being a stereotypical Team Rocket grunt, who tend to be arrogant and violent, James (currently) is not compatible. It is safe to say that he had those qualities during the first few episodes of the anime, but those aspects of his characterization have been ignored completely.

It is safe to say that he had those qualities during the first few episodes of the anime, but those aspects of his characterization have been ignored completely.

....which is a good thing. James is far more likeable this way and gives way for more humour.

James is far too kindhearted to actually fit in Team Rocket. Jessie and Meowth don't really fit on the team either, but they have thicker skin and are somewhat more selfish than James. Probably because they're orphans that had to fend for themselves since they were small, while James was raised in luxury.

James may be the worst at being bad, but they all fail as villains.

Quoted for win.

Really, all three of our favorite anti-heroes have no more than a desire to be naughty. It's just more readily apparent in James, for the exact reasons Snake Bandage said: his skin is thinner, and his sense of generosity wasn't damaged by extreme deprivation in his formative years. Jessie and Meowth are in more denial about their essentially decent natures; James is only in denial about how suave he's capable of being. :p

Jessie and Meowth are in more denial about their essentially decent natures; James is only in denial about how suave he's capable of being. :p

Snrk, QFT. In recent years every time James attempted to be suave, I was just facepalming and going "oh, James" fondly. Either he's being too adorkable to be properly suave, or he's trying so hard to look suave he almost looks like he's in pain. XD

No, he's just trying to be funny for 6 year olds watching the anime. :dead:

He isn't trying to be funny. His writer is trying to make him funny.

He isn't trying to be funny. His writer is trying to make him funny.

Do I have to bring out the Fan Whacking Stick?

You really think there's anyone here who doesn't know that James is a fictional character? Well, newsflash: we know. We're just deliberately pretending NOT to know, in order to have more fun talking about the fictional world of our fandom.

SO STOP BLOWING THE ILLUSION FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE PLAYING THE GAME!

I meant he, as a character, has no intention to be funny. He tries to be completely serious (most of the time) but ends up funny. I never implied there were people who thinks he is real.

....which is a good thing. James is far more likeable this way and gives way for more humour.

I'm not sure I agree with it giving way for more humour. I started watching from episode 1 a few days ago, and in those first few episodes TR appeared in, they were pretty hilarious, IMO. Much funnier than they are now.

But that's just my personal opinion.

I have pity on James..If i have to judge who will be the one that should join Ash and his friends that should be JAMES...right...

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom