• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Japanese Worlds qualifiers canceled: Earthquake aftermath continues disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Japanese Worlds qualifiers canceled: Earthquake aftermath continues disruption

The Japanese Video Game and Trading Card Game national qualifiers for this year's World Championships have been canceled due to the destruction caused by the recent earthquake and tsunami.

Read more on Bulbanews

Not to sound insensitive, but they better not cancel tournaments in the rest of the world in light of this. When will they be announcing NA regionals? What the hell, they were planning on having Worlds qualifiers when we didn't even get regionals. But yeah, it's unfortunate that the Japanese may not be competing but I still hope the tournament this year isn't canceled.

Eh, I know the situation out there isn't exactly the best, but I don't see the point behind just canceling everything (GL intl. launch, this, anime episode skips) and just leaving the fans moping in the corner. It's not like this was needed or that this'd help the earthquake victims in any way :/

The earthquake has caused over 9000 deaths and injured nearly 3000

I know this isn't a good time to joke, but I just had to.

Huh, I wonder how other Worldwide events will be affected. It wouldn' t be the same without Japanese players.

When things have calmed down in Japan, the Pokémon Company will be wise to launch the Wi-Fi tournament feature. The Japanese players shouldn't have to feel that they've been put behind, even if these are just games.

What is possible is if the American and European tournaments aren't canceled, there may be extra stops to make up for the lack of Japanese competitors. Who knows, this might be Canada's lucky year as well as a chance for Europeans to shine.

Who knows, this might be Canada's lucky year as well as a chance for Europeans to shine.

Personally, not to be a downer or anything, but I doubt it. Getting the WIN2010 events was a pretty big step, but it would be a very rushed decision. That being said, with the huge pushes on black and white at malls, it's possible, even though knowing that I somehow profited off the earthquake would kinda suck. I was planing on taking a trip down south for the tournaments anyways.

Back on track: I agree that canceling all of this wouldn't help anyone, especially people just trying to get back to a normal life, but I can also see it from the Pokemon Company, seeing as there wont be as many people showing up, and it just seems kind of.... not right.

I'll shut up now.

Yes, if a Canadian wants to participate, they'll most likely have to cross the border and go to the nearest American qualifier, as usual.

I'd imagine that, they'll either cancel it out of respect, or have it as America vs Europe (similar to 2008's America vs Japan).

I'd guess the delay in the rules being announced is because TPCi is considering whether or not to go ahead :S

Eh, I know the situation out there isn't exactly the best, but I don't see the point behind just canceling everything (GL intl. launch, this, anime episode skips) and just leaving the fans moping in the corner. It's not like this was needed or that this'd help the earthquake victims in any way :/

I haven't followed the news as well as I would've liked, but I believe the situation in Japan is far from okay. You may think it's weird to cancel all these things, but currently Japan isn't doing so great. The earthquake and tsunami were terrible, yet a total meltdown of the Fukushima power plant may be worse.

Some people may find canceling the launch of the Global Link or Japanese World qualifiers to be bad things, but I think many more would qualify a Japanese nuclear disaster as much worse.

Like I said, I haven't followed the news as much as I would have liked, but I beleive the current situation is still very bad. So its not really surprising they cancel these events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom