• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN003: Fushigisou, Isn't it Mysterious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, there's something that's kinda bothering me about this episode: why did they change Officer Jenny's design? Like, I'd understand if this was Galar and they had to come up with a new, original design for her... But this is Kanto. They already had a pre-established (and pretty iconic) design for her in this region. So why change it for something else? It's just weird and I really don't understand why they've done it.

It's because the joke with Officer Jenny is that all of them look equal (this also apply to Nurse Joy). So, all the Officer Jenny of the 8 regions will look equal.

The change of designs was never due to the change of region. The change of design is due to the change of style between seasons.

They only really changed the Officer Jenny's outfit. Her hair and face is still the same just done in the new art style. Plus, keep in mind this is the Officer Jenny for Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh. It was only Unova, Kalos, and Alola that got new Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy designs.

I suspect that they want to use the same design in all regions now. They knew how to replicate Nurse Joy properly in Movie 21, where the art style was even more different.

Jenny.jpg

Removing her signature star makes no sense if they aren't going for a uniform design.

It's because the joke with Officer Jenny is that all of them look equal (this also apply to Nurse Joy). So, all the Officer Jenny of the 8 regions will look equal.

The gag was that all of the Jennys of a region looks and dress exactly the same in that region (with the only major difference being the shape/color of their badge). Not that all of the Jennys around the entire world dress and look the same. The only exception to this would be the Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh Jennys, but even then a possible explanation could be that since the regions were based on regions of the country, it would kind of make sense for them to all have the same uniform. So that's a very poor excuse for the change.

The change of designs was never due to the change of region. The change of design is due to the change of style between seasons.

That is not true at all. This special alone disproves that, since it aired during the BW series, back when Jenny looked like this, yet the Kantonian Jenny in that special looked like this. So, again, poor justification of the change.

So far not really excited for this episode. Maybe the preview will change my thoughts.

Two things can make this episode interesting for me:
  • A reference to Ash's Bulbasaur
  • Go getting a Bulbasaur after rescuing it from Team Rocket
At this point I've got a hunch that most Ash's Bulbasaur will get is a one second mention.

Here is the first full preview of the episode:

Video's private now...

Preview didn't show a lot but I do like Ash scaling the wall while Gou is sliding back thanks to Ash traveling so much and getting plenty of athletic practice.

At this point I've got a hunch that most Ash's Bulbasaur will get is a one second mention.
This is what I'm thinking too, unfortunately, although I suppose a brief surprise appearance is possible.

The gag was that all of the Jennys of a region looks and dress exactly the same in that region (with the only major difference being the shape/color of their badge). Not that all of the Jennys around the entire world dress and look the same. The only exception to this would be the Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh Jennys, but even then a possible explanation could be that since the regions were based on regions of the country, it would kind of make sense for them to all have the same uniform. So that's a very poor excuse for the change.

This season is through 8 regions. So, they want to mantain the joke that all Jenny dress equal for this season.

This was the joke during the first 4 regions.

That is not true at all. This special alone disproves that, since it aired during the BW series, back when Jenny looked like this, yet the Kantonian Jenny in that special looked like this. So, again, poor justification of the change.
That was an special. So, they could mantain that "consistency".

This will be a trip through 8 regions. So, they likely want the joke of Jenny to be mantained in all the trips.

This season is through 8 regions. So, they want to mantain the joke that all Jenny dress equal for this season.

This was the joke during the first 4 regions.

That was an special. So, they could mantain that "consistency".

This will be a trip through 8 regions. So, they likely want the joke of Jenny to be mantained in all the trips.

Yeah, well, again, that's a pretty poor and very shallow justification for why they changed her design all of the sudden.

Also, no, that wasn't a running joke throughout all of the first 4 regions (or even throughout each of the region's series, or that matter). The joke happened only in the first episode in which the second Jenny of the region appeared in (and it was usually the new companion(s) who would be confused by that, not Ash or Brock or some of the other returning companions), after which the characters would just realize and accept that there's a bunch of female police officers lookalikes that are all related to each other somehow. So, unless they're gonna make the characters look even stupider then they were in Sun & Moon (which I really hope to Arceus that that won't be the case), redesigning the Jennys and making all of them throughout all regions look the same and basically sacrificing continuity for the sake of a joke that's probably gonna get dropped within the first 10 episodes would be kind of pointless and stupid. And there's also the fact that this entire argument is based on the assumption that all the Jennys from all the regions will share this design, which will have to wait and see if that's actually gonna be the case (not that it would make this excuse more reasonable and less dumb or anything).

Double also, what the heck do you mean by "that "consistency""? Last I checked, Best Wishes didn't take place in another canon (like the SM era movies did). All of the main anime's series are canon to one another and they are all part of the same continuity (as it has been proven time and time again, whether some like it or not), so of course there'd be consistency between them (or, at least, that's what one would expect).

Yeah, well, again, that's a pretty poor and very shallow justification for why they changed her design all of the sudden.

Also, no, that wasn't a running joke throughout all of the first 4 regions (or even throughout each of the region's series, or that matter). The joke happened only in the first episode in which the second Jenny of the region appeared in (and it was usually the new companion(s) who would be confused by that, not Ash or Brock or some of the other returning companions), after which the characters would just realize and accept that there's a bunch of female police officers lookalikes that are all related to each other somehow. So, unless they're gonna make the characters look even stupider then they were in Sun & Moon (which I really hope to Arceus that that won't be the case), redesigning the Jennys and making all of them throughout all regions look the same and basically sacrificing continuity for the sake of a joke that's probably gonna get dropped within the first 10 episodes would be kind of pointless and stupid. And there's also the fact that this entire argument is based on the assumption that all the Jennys from all the regions will share this design, which will have to wait and see if that's actually gonna be the case (not that it would make this excuse more reasonable and less dumb or anything).

Double also, what the heck do you mean by "that "consistency""? Last I checked, Best Wishes didn't take place in another canon (like the SM era movies did). All of the main anime's series are canon to one another and they are all part of the same continuity (as it has been proven time and time again, whether some like it or not), so of course there'd be consistency between them (or, at least, that's what one would expect).

The joke is that all Jenny look the same (and they usually use the same clothes), not that others confuse them. They probably want to keep that joke between the 8 regions.

Honestly, the consistency of the Jenny's clothes isn't so important to me, that's why I said that way (I wasn't trying to imply another canon). There have been much worse inconsistencies in the anime. For example, the way Jessie and James met each other.

The joke is that all Jenny look the same (and they usually use the same clothes), not that others confuse them. They probably want to keep that joke between the 8 regions.

If that's the joke, then where's the punchline? Where's the setup for the joke? Where's the reason for the audience to laugh at it?

Now, I may not be a comedian or a humor expert, but I do know that a joke is usually supposed to have a setup (like the Jennys dressing and looking the same way), which would then lead to the punchline (people mistaking the Jennys for Jennys they've already met), which is what is supposed to make people laugh. The thing that you're trying to frame as a joke lacks both of the setup and the punchline, so it obviously can't be the actual joke, but rather the setup for the actual joke.

Honestly, the consistency of the Jenny's clothes isn't so important to me, that's why I said that way (I wasn't trying to imply another canon). There have been much worse inconsistencies in the anime. For example, the way Jessie and James met each other.

It may be a minor inconsistency, but it still is an inconsistency nonetheless. And it really rubs me the wrong way, since there was no reason for it to have happened and it wouldn't have been that hard to avoid it. And just because there've been worse cases of discrepancy in the past, that doesn't suddenly excuse this one.

If that's the joke, then where's the punchline? Where's the setup for the joke? Where's the reason for the audience to laugh at it?

Now, I may not be a comedian or a humor expert, but I do know that a joke is usually supposed to have a setup (like the Jennys dressing and looking the same way), which would then lead to the punchline (people mistaking the Jennys for Jennys they've already met), which is what is supposed to make people laugh. The thing that you're trying to frame as a joke lacks both of the setup and the punchline, so it obviously can't be the actual joke, but rather the setup for the actual joke.

However, if this was just the setup for the actual joke, why Jenny mantain the same clothes for the first 4 regions? Or why all Jenny are still identical in BW, XY and SM?

I mean if it's just a setup, it just should dissapear after the first or second punchline.

All Jenny looking (and dressing) equal is the "weird thing that happen all the time" joke.

However, if this was just the setup for the actual joke, why Jenny mantain the same clothes for the first 4 regions? Or why all Jenny are still identical in BW, XY and SM?

I mean if it's just a setup, it just should dissapear after the first or second punchline.

Simple: Because they established that all of the Jennys in the region look the same. While them being the same appearance wise in every region is used as the punchline of a joke (a joke that usually only happens once pre series), it also establish that each of the Jennys of a given region are lookalike relatives of each other that dress the same. So they can't just drop it a couple of episodes later and have a Jenny appear that looks or is dressed up differently from the rest in that region (unless they have a reasonable explanation, like her being off-duty or something) after establishing that all of them look the same, since that would create an inconsistency.

All Jenny looking (and dressing) equal is the "weird thing that happen all the time" joke.

Okay, so let's go by Oxford's definition of a joke: "A thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline". This is what a joke is. So, ignoring the fact that "all Jennys looking the same" lacks either a proper setup or a proper punchline (or both), where exactly is the thing that's supposed to make people laugh?

And no, it being weird doesn't automatically make it funny. Ice physics in video games are weird, but nobody calls them a joke (at least not in the sense you're using it). Mario Party 8's motion controls are weird and those certainly aren't funny at all. Weird =/= joke.

Would be nice to get a reference to Ash's Bulbasaur, an appearance would be nice but agree, keeping the peace at Oak's lab prevents it from being with Ash for too long

New summary and images

New summary and images can be found above

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom