• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN003: Fushigisou, Isn't it Mysterious?

Another great episode with Team Rocket having a rocking intro theme plus the incredible of Ash's Pikachu defeating two powerhouse Pokemon (Tyranitar and Gyarados) from Team Rocket sent by Giovannii.

Overall rating: B+

A generic and boring filler, that only showcases three relevant details
  • First, the Team Rocket Poke-rental mecha isn't really a good idea. I'd rather they have their own captures instead of getting new mons from HQ every time, there's no character development to be had there. Not to mention, powerful Pokemon being defeated by Pikachu alone will wear out quite fast.
  • Second, Ash being shown as the physically adept and more experienced trainer is highlighted. I mean, you need to have some strength to pull up someone the same weight as you, one handed.
  • Third, Pikachu being able to defeat two Pokemon who are considered to be very powerful, shows the power level it's on. If they fail to maintain this consistency in the future, especially for the next episode, then they're putting their feet in the grave. (I know that it was a translation error with the "finish off" but I'm not convinced atm.)
I hope Oak gives Ash his own Poke-Gacha to randomly use one of his older pokemon.
I hope so too. I mean, the games have already standardized quick access to PC reserves with LGPE and SwSh, so why not in the anime as well? So far, the premises of the first 9 episodes don't indicate any captures for Ash and him only having Pikachu around will be quite boring.

Last edited:
This episode mainly served the purpose of introducing us to the concept of the research trips Ash and Go will embark on, have Go encounter Team Rocket for the first time, and build up the friendship between Ash and Go.

The rental machine was an interesting idea, but I still wish the trio would get their own Pokémon at some point.

Oh, and it was funny to see Go not believing that a Meowth could talk at first and then getting completely blown back when he learned that it could indeed talk.

I hope so too. I mean, the games have already standardized quick access to PC reserves with LGPE and SwSh, so why not in the anime as well? So far, the premises of the first 9 episodes don't indicate any captures for Ash and him only having Pikachu around will be quite boring.

With this series re-visiting concepts of old episodes, it makes me wonder if we will ever get to see the likes of Pidgeot, Butterfree and Primeape again. Lapras and Greninja seem like a given since they are fan favorites.

A dull and boring episode saved by good ol' Team Rocket. That's all I can say about this one other than I too would prefer to see some of the TRio's old favourites or some new captures be used rather than a bunch of rental Pokémon which I can guarantee you will only be seen in one episode, have no development or personality or any kind and only exist to be beaten up by Pikachu.

It's pretty much exactly the same kind of animation.
If anything it felt kinda worse? At the very least it felt on par with some of the most "meh" battles in SM, and it definitely didn't even came close to the short battle in SS002. I definitely need to rewatch this in HD to make a clearer judgement, though.

Curious to see what the subs say as I don't understand why after all this time, Giovanni just gives them fully evolved Pokemon

They went to Unova without any Pokemon, they went to Alola with only Wobbuffet, they went to Kalos of their own regard

I like to think that Team can at least get the same Pokémon again since the intro shows the Twerps fighting a Tyranitar and Corviknight after showing off Team Rocket.

I really do hope that they find some why to allow Team Rocket to bond with their Gacha Pokémon. Thought the chances are slim.

Edit: Maybe if we are lucky Giovanni actually put Team Rocket’s old Pokémon in the Gacha.

A generic and boring filler, that only showcases three relevant details
  • First, the Team Rocket Poke-rental mecha isn't really a good idea. I'd rather they have their own captures instead of getting new mons from HQ every time, there's no character development to be had there. Not to mention, powerful Pokemon being defeated by Pikachu alone will wear out quite fast.
  • Second, Ash being shown as the physically adept and more experienced trainer is highlighted. I mean, you need to have some strength to pull up someone the same weight as you, one handed.
  • Third, Pikachu being able to defeat two Pokemon who are considered to be very powerful, shows the power level it's on. If they fail to maintain this consistency in the future, especially for the next episode, then they're putting their feet in the grave. (I know that it was a translation error with the "finish off" but I'm not convinced atm.)

I’m not really a fan of the rental aspect for Team Rocket as well as, not only does it feel unearned for them to just be given powerful Pokémon (who are then completely wasted since TRio are eternal losers) but it feels contrived that Giovanni keeps trusting them with these tasks when they constantly turn up empty handed. Did they even give any explanation on why he isn’t furious about Aolola?

Also, the concept of Ash being able to rotate his Pokémon on the fly has actually been available to him going all the way back to season 1. After Ash’s Krabby was transferred to Professor Oak’s lab, Brock explained a button on the Pokédex would allow Ash to swap Pokémon. Sadly they never utilized it.

“TRio are losers” folks seem to be forgetting that Ash literally needed Fujisaku-plot-armour to defeat them in Sun/Moon. In fact, as far as I remember, the TRio are the only targets of Pikashunium-Z that wasn’t a legendary Pokemon.

They could have their own Pokemon and be competent at the same time. I’m not really digging the rentals concept at all and hope that it’s temporary. It’s great for one episode, but not really as a sustainable thing. Team Rocket has the potential to have really good character development with their Pokemon and this system takes away all that opportunity. It’s a horrible regression after Sun/Moon with Mareanie and Mimikyu.

Also, the concept of Ash being able to rotate his Pokémon on the fly has actually been available to him going all the way back to season 1. After Ash’s Krabby was transferred to Professor Oak’s lab, Brock explained a button on the Pokédex would allow Ash to swap Pokémon. Sadly they never utilized it.

Actually, said concept was brought back in Best Wishes, where, after catching a Pokémon while having a full party already, the Poké Balls of the additional Pokémon would lock itself and its button would glow red, with Ash having to lock one of his active Pokémon's Poké Balls in order to be able to use his new catches. Which, in theory, would've been a good way to allow each of his Unova Pokémon to stand out, by switching them out on the fly and giving them enough time to shine and then switching to his mroe underfocused Pokémon. Unfortunately, it was kind of poorly executed, as Ash never rotated the Unova starters out of his party, which led them getting a lot of exposure, while the rest of his Pokémon didn't get that much attention (which got even worse once Charizard came back, thus wasting another one of his Unova Pokémon's space).

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom