• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN003: Fushigisou, Isn't it Mysterious?

This episode was...insanely boring.

On the bright side, I am still LOVING the relationship between Ash and Gou! I think it's great that there's some friction involved. I wonder what Gou meant when he said Ash was "one of those boys"...? I'm guessing maybe Gou had some friendship problems as a kid. I'd like to see them delve into that more in the future.

It was also nice to finally see Team Rocket! Their new motto animation is great, and I loved seeing Gou just utterly perplexed by them.

That was about all I liked about the episode. The "plot" was terrible. I honestly didn't really care about knowing what the Bulbadaur and Ivysaur were doing. They couldn't even set it up in an interesting fashion...like, they didn't make it seem all that mysterious. I don't know. It was just so bland and uninteresting.

Hopefully the professor's assistants have a greater role in the future, because right now, they seem straight up pointless.

And what was the point of dumping Rotom Dex for yet another Rotom...? I guess cause this one has no personality? I'd love to see an Alola episode where Rotom Dex literally pulls an "am I a joke to you" but we can't have nice things so that will never happen!

Also, add me to the list of people not really on board with the Team Rocket loaner program. The very idea we might get robbed of Team Rocket bonding with their own Pokémon is really unfortunate.

Hopefully this was just an off episode and not a sign of things to come.

I understand perfectly that after more than 1000 episodes the continuity is a problem for the writers but after having fed the hype for this new series by promising a lot of nostalgia it would not have been too much to ask to have some small hints like Delibird. In addition if the writers have a bad memory Google and the Wiki pages exist...

Regarding Team Rocket the magnificent animation of their motto looking like a sort of artistic dance show as in the past is my consolation (*ha! Finally a droplet of nostalgia)

I'm also pretty happy with their new design and the fact of James getting a beautiful baby face similar of his « Advance » version. I have to admit, I did not like the artistic style of his profile in some episodes of Sun and Moon and especially in the SuMo motto, his wick in the middle of the forehead seems to me also less big and strange and I noticed that Jessie keeps the eyelids of the Sun and Moon style accenting her Sneaky expression or giving her an older look.

However, in this episode they are frowning all along ,even in joy or surprise. It's okay, the little kids have understood : they are the bad guys, I just hope to not see this nasty expression remaining fixed on their faces at each of their appearance.

They have not become insensitive as they are in BW , it’s cool but it is not a so small cute interaction without any development that will allow me to enjoy these rentals Pokémon, in more of that, I already know it , their appearance and interactions will be so small for a possible real bond. In more Jessie and James are not their reals trainers... TT_TT I really don’t like this idea.

I just hope to see this Gacha machine bringing sometimes some big surprises like the old Pokémon of Musashi and Kojiro remained in the headquarters and which never had a decent closing (it is beautiful to dream)

Last edited:
Since this is my first time watching subs, I don't know the old mottos that well, but I have seen them some, and I'm pretty sure this is the original motto (or at least very close), is that right?
It very much is their original motto, bang on!

I still really wonder why the Trio will just happen to be in the same region as Ash and Go on the same specific days, that will be pretty hard to explain and make sense of, also maybe this machine doesn't reach other regions, who knows?
The fact that they reaffirmed their goal of chasing Pikachu at the end of the episode...
I think you have answered your own question - I suspect (hope?) that they are going to actively follow Satoshi again.
The alternative is that their appearances are unpredictably sporadic, and I'm not sure my weak old heart can handle that...

I liked the episode, it was ok. Let's no forget, it's still the beginning of a new adventure, so what would you expect to happen? We already had a legendary Pokemon and seeing some of the most iconic and famous Pokemon from Gen I really wasn't that bad after all.

What I found extremely interesting was that little philosophical discussion so to speak between Ash and Go if and when it's alright to help Pokemon or if it just happens out of compassion or "human conceit" as Go put it. His words about "it's the end of the line" and "live their lives on their own" sure was unexpected and seemed a bit hard at first. But thinking about it for a little bit longer, I still haven't decided who was right, Ash or Go.

Also, Team Rocket now has two Pokemon that have always been portrayed to belong to the "upper class" in the Pokemon universe in terms of strength. I'm really impressed!! :eek: Yes, some of you might object that it's cheap they've just randomly been given two Pokemon which they didn't even have to catch and which they can't bond with. (Well, who says they won't be able to bond with them?). Well, I can't agree.
On the contrary, it proves to me that TRio might become stronger than ever before in this series. Ash now is the champion of the Alola League, so it goes without saying that TRio, in order to still pose a significant threat, needed an upgrade in some way, too. Giving them a Gyarados and a Tyranitar will make sure they're still relevant for the series.
(But yes, I agree with you their new motto music could have been better. This new one is a bit lackluster.)

They only thing I'm still not sure what to think of is the fact that Pikachu's Thunderbolt can now go through two obviously strong HyperBeams at once....Well, I hope the writers will at least remember it and be consistent in future episodes when it comes to Pikachu's strength.

All in all, a decent episode that you'd expect at the beginning of a new series.

On the bright side, I am still LOVING the relationship between Ash and Gou! I think it's great that there's some friction involved. I wonder what Gou meant when he said Ash was "one of those boys"...? I'm guessing maybe Gou had some friendship problems as a kid. I'd like to see them delve into that more in the future.

I'm sensing a flashback coming.

Also, Team Rocket now has two Pokemon that have always been portrayed to belong to the "upper class" in the Pokemon universe in terms of strength. I'm really impressed!! :eek: Yes, some of you might object that it's cheap they've just randomly been given two Pokemon which they didn't even have to catch and which they can't bond with. (Well, who says they won't be able to bond with them?). Well, I can't agree.

Problem is if they're using different Pokemon every time and only using them for fights that doesn't give time show the Pokemons' personalities. Now if they'd do more Meowth and Wobbuffett episodes to compensate I'd be alright with that.

contrarian mode I want more callbacks as much as anyone but I'm not sold on the all-or-nothing idea that seems to be becoming a consensus. This show has always been pretty haphazard about what it does and doesn't reference and the new series has done more than the previous three did in their first episodes. Maybe I have low standards.

Last edited:
It was nice to see Mimey displaying some new personality, actually miming doing things like eating and hoovering but in some ways, it is strange because Mimey did things before without actually miming it

I guess I'm later than usual with this... been busy with work and gaming, the latter thanks to Steam sales, and didn't get around to watching the subbed version and constructing a review. This post may seem similar to @Pulsaro23's so you might as well read it directly.

:bulbaLove: - Pros:
  • One of the two good things that come out of the episode is the portrayal of Ash (who represents the more experienced trainer who also resorts to practical means, and is physically fit) and Gou (socially awkward, know-it-all attitude who represents rote learning and is not as physically adept) as completely different personalities that clash with each other, sometimes in a not so friendly way. Where Ash is willing to jump in and take action without a second thought, Gou is more hesitant and reserved. Gou's attitude and character development, how he grows out of his current shell .etc. should be especially interesting to see provided the writers decide to be consistent The same applies for Ash, here's hoping he remains the more competent and experienced trainer instead of suddenly being dumbed down a la BW. (I hope Ash gives Gou the capturing tutorial.)
  • TRio was one of the other aspect that kept this episode fairly enjoyable at the end. Without their appearance, the episode would have been flat as hell and a pathetic excuse of a filler... even though I do have reservations about the gacha machine as detailed in cons. Glad to see them using their original motto, including that moment where James dips Jessie. Pikachu being able to beat two behemoths fairly easily shows us that he's not been nerfed thankfully, after his phenomenal performance in the last season, otherwise that would have been terrible of the writers. Now the hope is that the writers don't forget this detail and end up given people inspiration for more "lose to level 5" memes. Also, it's nice to see TRio being concerned about Pokemon they've just met.
:bulbaFacepalm: - Cons:
  • What was the absolute point of leaving Rotom behind in Alola if Ash would have gotten a Rotom inhabited mobile phone either ways? Feels like a waste of a character to just bring in a new Rotom to partner up with Ash. I do like Ash's new Rotom given how 'calmer' it is but it still feels kinda... off putting, especially given how close Ash and Roto-dex had gotten back in Alola (considering the development in a certain episode where Ash had an OOC moment of trying to catch Roto-dex). Gou's Rotom on the other hand comes off as very annoying. A great dynamic would have been Roto-dex being with Ash and clashing with Gou's Rotom but hey... surprise surprise not surprise, wasted potential. Not sure how I feel about the Ash's Rotom having the narrator's voice for now.
  • Where the hell is Matori and why would she suddenly be omitted after being so prominent in the previous series? How did TRio get away with their SM performance in Giovanni's eyes? And Giovanni's new ultimate weapon is... a lootbox? Is that what the purpose of the anime is now? To encourage and entice kids into buying lootboxes? I fear this entire concept will negatively influence the younger generation (especially Masters and GO players) as well as ruin TRio simultaneously. What made TRio so good in DP, XY and SM were the personal connections they had with their Pokemon, their bumbling but eventually good-natured human selves being showcased. With the entire concept of randomized Pokemon each time and the fact that any powerful Pokemon will be beaten easily, TRio's appearances will wear out quite fast going further into the series.
  • After last week's superb animation, this episode's animation feels very ugly and on par with some of SM's worst episode's animations. Overuse of static/stock backgrounds, bad framerates, stock animations, still frames and action lines. I don't know if this is a budget issue or just a rush job that the animators weren't even bothered with given the knowledge of it being a filler. It made Pikachu's first complete battle in the series feel less impacting despite the power he displays.
  • The biggest sin of them all is playing on fans' feelings with nostalgia baiting especially if the summaries for the next few episodes are true. They're intentionally using certain Pokemon, places, characters or titles (or a combination of the 4) in a way that makes it seem to older fans like there's continuity involved or some segment of the past that'll be visited only to pull the rug from under them in a violent manner (this might especially be true for the upcoming Hoenn, Sinnoh and Johto episodes). Why base this episode off elements from Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden if there's not a single hint or reference to it (even SM remembered that episode without having any elements from it)? What's the point of saying that this series is for older fans then... and why would they make it a part of the main continuity if it's being avoided intentionally? Eventually, the series and the team behind it will be treated along the same lines of the boy who cried wolf and the series will decline despite a decent start. Very ironic when you consider that the previous series which was considered horrible due to the exaggerated comedy angle and simpler artstyle, started out weak but ended up very strong and easily one of the Top 3 series.
:confused: - Extra:
  • I wonder why Gou got the top bunk... did Ash relent and decided to act like the mature one instead of squabbling further? And the stuff with Mimey was a bit pretentious, like why would he suddenly decide to act like a Psychic mime Pokemon after all that time being Delia's personal servant and using actual household tools?
  • What's the point of a second Pokemon Gym under construction? Why would they go to such lengths to avoid showing the existing Vermilion Gym? I seriously hope it's not a Pokemon GO type of Gym, it would be a horrible concept for the anime. I'm not sure I like that comment about the gym being previously a "sunny grassland", did they deforest/ruin it to build the Gym? This is especially struck home when they state that the Bulbasaur and Ivysaur are disappointed, meaning that the location the Gym is could have been the Garden's location before humankind ruined it.
Verdict: At best this episode is mediocre, at worst it's a waste. There were so many opportunities they could have used but it was all squandered and the only thing sticking out at the end of it all is the fact that the writing team literally played the boy who cried wolf with the nostalgia bait advertising (especially for the next few episodes). I give it 4.5/10.

speaking of Giovanni, am I the only one who thinks they've turned him into a Saturday morning cartoon-type of villain, who's now over-the-top evil and has a bunch of whacky, goofy and kind of stupid gadgets?).
Giovanni is Dr. Doofenshmirtz confirmed.

Last edited:
The same applies for Ash, here's hoping he remains the more competent and experienced trainer instead of suddenly being dumbed down a la BW.
I think the reset always appears pretty early, doesn't it?
Episode 7 might be a good test since they're both entering a tournament. If he loses to Gou or does worse than him it'll be a very bad sign.

I wonder why Gou got the top bunk... did Ash relent and decided to act like the mature one instead of squabbling further?
I'm hoping whenever we see them waking up a different one will be using the top bunk.

I think it's interesting that Gou thinks that it's bad to interfere with wild Pokémon but still wants to collect and catch every Pokémon? :unsure:

The whole "don't interfere with the wild Pokémon!" really sounds like something N would have said but with Gou's goal it's kind of ironic. Too bad that Lusamine from the games don't exist in the anime because it would have been interesting to see her interact with Gou.

Although I guess Gou was actually kind of right since the reason the Ivysaur got hurt in the first place was because of human influence since they built a gym and industrialized their natural habitat.

Now I kind of want Gou to catch a Galarian Corsola. Especially with the whole "Pokémon might lose their will to live" thing.

I'll be honest, whilst I don't like the idea of Team Rocket catching their own Pokemon, I'm curious to see what Pokemon they'll get from the machine, no doubt some strong Pokemon as I doubt Giovanni would give them base form Pokemon

I'll be honest, whilst I don't like the idea of Team Rocket catching their own Pokemon, I'm curious to see what Pokemon they'll get from the machine, no doubt some strong Pokemon as I doubt Giovanni would give them base form Pokemon
It would be hilarious if something like a Sunkern was in the machine and when Jessie/James questions HQ about it they only get to hear that it was a mistake.

While I'm not a fan of Jessie and James using rental pokemon, I have to admit that I did chuckle a little at how they needed to turn Meowth upside-down and use the coin on his head to get the pokeballs in the machine.
Speaking of which, I wonder if the poor fella is gonna get abused every single time they use the machine

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom