• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN006: Catch a Lot of Pokemon! The Path to Mew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry about it. Director will definitely continue let Ash be the main protagonist. Right now, he just a temporary mentor for Go to teach him all the basic. But we shall see after the battle trip from Hoenn.
We haven't exactly seen Ash teach him anything. So far, Gou has only been observing which is why I hope Ash gives him the capture tutorial in the next episode. Compare that to with Ash actually teaching May.

The next two episodes and the Johto one should tell us how this series will proceed.

Last edited:
Go has most likely been watching raids for years, so he doesn't necessarily need tips from Ash (who hasn't caught most of his Pokemon the "proper" way).

The episode after this one will no doubt feature Ash at least getting to the finals of a tournament, so I think that the complaints are premature. Go has only now obtained a Pokemon and decided on a concrete goal.

This episode looks goofy and straightforward. Normally, I love that, but I'm already getting tired of it...

Hopefully the actual episode proves me wrong. It'd be nice to see Ash catch a Pokemon too, but I think we can pretty much rule that out for this one.

Much as I hate Team Rocket appearing regularly, I'm surprised they've only appeared in 1 of 7 episodes, a sign maybe that they're on their last legs

You TRio fans have been saying this since BW. Ya can only cry wolf so many times before people stop caring (even when you're finally right)...

That said, This DOES seem like the kind of episode that would actually need them. What's more, you'd think they'd appear in Kanto episodes. All this region hopping makes it a lot harder to follow Ash around, but you'd think they'd at least save them for episodes in Kanto (and maybe Johto). Especially since they were in top form in SS03

Arceus knows we need antagonism from somewhere.
This series is shaping up the be the most antagonists free ever...

And that terrifies me.

They said "dual protagonists", not "Gou as the protagonist with Ash being a main supporting character".

After 2 series of the companions being ash cheerleaders part of the time, I find it karmic :p

They can't get rid of Ash, so demoting him is the next best thing.

Between show they've treated Ash & the TRio thus far, I have to wonder if they wanted this to be a reboot even more than us...:unsure:

I'm fully in favor of Go getting the most focus as there's only so much room for Ash to grow. But again, it's way too early to say that Ash has been demoted, especially as he's the battler.

Team Rocket could actually interfere with Go's catching quite a bit, too much so in his first episode in the role. It would make sense if they caused problems at the lab eventually.

Preview looks decent enough. I am curious if Gou is going to carry 6 around with him even if they aren't all used or just Scorbunny and Scyther with the others going straight to the lab.

About the character focus discussion: they might be front loading Gou right now since he's just been introduced. 7 and 9 both look like Ash-centric episodes, and we should have a better idea what they're planning for him after those two.

Preview looks decent enough. I am curious if Gou is going to carry 6 around with him even if they aren't all used or just Scorbunny and Scyther with the others going straight to the lab.

About the character focus discussion: they might be front loading Gou right now since he's just been introduced. 7 and 9 both look like Ash-centric episodes, and we should have a better idea what they're planning for him after those two.

If it's another marathon of Go episodes, I'm dropping off. I hate him

Not to speak for him but I can see why someone who isn’t a fan of Go wouldn’t be a fan of how things have been done thus far. In the past few episodes, Ash is there but he doesn’t feel as prominent. Hell, between today’s episode and the next, we’re seeing Go catching Pokémon left, right and center while Ash is kinda just there, not really doing much of anything. I myself don’t dislike Go but am concerned that them having something like this for him will get in the way of Ash catching Pokémon of his own this season.

Go has most likely been watching raids for years, so he doesn't necessarily need tips from Ash (who hasn't caught most of his Pokemon the "proper" way).
But it is very much the proper way, that has been established for years in the anime universe they created. Catching Pokemon against their will (or without their consent) has been very much established as an improper way, over and over again. Not bonding with Pokemon has been very much established as not proper. That can go back all the way to Damian, and has been established many times since in many different ways. Of all the flaws Ash may have, in this respect Ash is outstanding, because he cares deeply for all of his Pokemon, and for Pokemon in the wild, and he cares about their feelings and goals, he doesn't catch Pokemon that don't want to be caught, he bonds with and works hard with all his Pokemon helping them advance in their particular goals.

Since they didn't do a reboot, they are being very contradictory to the universe they set up. No one seems to pay any attention to the fact that the Pokemon Go game isn't its own universe, it isn't supposed to create its own reality, its a game about catching Pokemon in our own world, that doesn't present itself as its own reality in any way. In that way, there is no issue with catching tons of Pokemon, because they aren't pretending that is it a reality. That is why making an anime about Go (the game, not the character) doesn't make a lot of sense, and certainly, at the very least, doesn't fit in at all with the universe the current anime had previously established. Even the mainline games have taken strides recently to try to better "justify" Pokemon sitting in boxes with Poke Pelago and Poke Jobs.

On a separate note, multiple capture episodes are going to get really boring, especially if catching is montaged and no struggle is present. Seeing lots of different Pokemon is only rewarding if the Pokemon actually do something noteworthy, just seeing a still is meaningless. I still have to hold out hope, no matter how bleak, that someone will talk some "old anime" sense into Go and he won't be a catching Tyrunt (bad pun).

Last edited:
Decided to rewatch the preview properly and this is what caught my attention.

Desktop Screenshot 2019.12.19 - 17.55.38.73.png

The context is that Gou gets excited and decides to straight away throw a Pokeball with Ash being confused (as shown in the subtitled words). So it does seem like Gou will make rookie mistakes and most likely Ash will help him out with a tutorial or some instructions.

Decided to rewatch the preview properly and this is what caught my attention.

View attachment 129556

The context is that Gou gets excited and decides to straight away throw a Pokeball with Ash being confused (as shown in the subtitled words). So it does seem like Gou will make rookie mistakes and most likely Ash will help him out with a tutorial or some instructions.

Or the more likely explanation: He catches it right away without battling it, unlike when Ash threw his first Pokeball and it was a pop-out.

It's cool to see Go is catching a bunch of Pokemon, I think he may not get all 890+ but only the Kanto ones + befriend Mew at the very end of the saga.

EDIT: ...but what about Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres? :c

It's cool to see Go is catching a bunch of Pokemon, I think he may not get all 890+ but only the Kanto ones + befriend Mew at the very end of the saga.

EDIT: ...but what about Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres? :c
I dare guess that he'll be catching Pokémon from other regions too.

Gou has seen and knows that Mew can transform into a lot of different Pokemon.

What if Gou is going on a mass capture spree in hopes of capturing a disguised Mew? :lapras:

What if he'll start torturing his captures in Sakuragi's basement till one of them gives up and reveals itself to be Mew? :lapras:
You had me until that last part...

Ash doesn't seem to be the one to teach or intervene in this series for some reason. When Gou refused Scorbunny at first Ash didn't say anything about it, despite clearly seeing that Scorbunny's feelings were hurt, and knowing that Gou doesn't have any pokemon. While Ash isn't someone who constantly pokes his nose where it doesn't belong, he used to have compassion for people or pokemon that might need help or sympathy.

Gou has seen and knows that Mew can transform into a lot of different Pokemon.

What if Gou is going on a mass capture spree in hopes of capturing a disguised Mew? :lapras:

What if he'll start torturing his captures in Sakuragi's basement till one of them gives up and reveals itself to be Mew? :lapras:
Maybe when he realizes that they’re not Mew, he’ll transfer them and have them turned into candy.

New summary and images can be found here

Screenshots hidden in spoilers

Images

Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom