• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN006: Catch a Lot of Pokémon! The Path to Mew!!

I'm sorry; I really try and go into each episode with an open mind and really do look for the positives, but this episode was just...dull.

Gou wants to catch all of the Pokémon to fill out his Dex. Pretty lame, if we're being honest. Then suddenly at the end they bring up how it's connected to Mew? That should've been done from the getgo. In addition, not only is Gou just running around catching unassuming Pokémon without battling them insanely boring, but it pretty much goes against everything we've ever seen in this series. Oh, and the poke dex commenting on his throws like in Pokémon Go is just terrible. So annoying every freaking time it did it. We didn't need that added like...at all.

Seeing Ash relegated to second fiddle is very disapointing. I'd be okay with it if it was more like DP episodes where Dawn had the spotlight and was progressing as a trainer, but as of right now, Gou is not strong enough to carry an episode on his own. Most of his personality comes out when he's interacting with Ash or Koharu. On his own, he's pretty bland. So now, while the focus is all on Gou just running around catching Pokémon, Ash is either the butt of a joke, just standing around, or off camera completely. "Watching you makes me want to go catch a Pokémon!" Cool! Except...he doesn't. We don't even see him try to.

And speaking of Koharu, it already seems like the writers are just going to let her languish as a character. She actually had some very interesting personality on her own, but she's barely being used. It really couldn't hurt to inject her a little more, especially with Ash and Gou. I think it'd liven things up a bit.

I know not everyone loves Team Rocket, but this is one episode I wouldn't have minded an interruption from them. The whole thing was so monotonous and tedious to sit through. I really started to zone out not even halfway through. I kept checking the time to see how much of the episode was left because it was severely dragging.

Right now, the lack of a concrete plot is really hurting this series. The writers should be able to better focus with only two main characters and have a more controlled story with clear direction. It's just coming across like a disorganized, boring mess.

This is so far the worst ep in this season. Some retro seasons show each and every Pokémon made tired before catching which is tedious. But in this episode, Butterfree and Beedril are caught without any battle, which is kinda boring.

When Go keeps on hunting at an insane pace, Satoshi simply runs hither and thither and didn't even ATTEMPT to catch one despite his challenge.

I also look down upon Go for doing the same lame mistake twice: Throwing a Poké ball at Scyther twice without weakening it.

Rating 1.5/5

I'm considering possibly using a fanfic to revise/revamp this episode's basic idea to be a better experience. Beyond possibly using a Bug Catching Contest a la Johto, what else might/would be a good way of handling the faults of the episode in your minds.

I'm considering possibly using a fanfic to revise/revamp this episode's basic idea to be a better experience. Beyond possibly using a Bug Catching Contest a la Johto, what else might/would be a good way of handling the faults of the episode in your minds.
Just have Go actually have to TRY catching pokemon - have Ash be more of a mentor what with having twenty years of experience at ten years of age like most jobs want of their employees

That's the only real issue at hand

Kanto can have bug contests too ya know

Just have Go actually have to TRY catching pokemon - have Ash be more of a mentor what with having twenty years of experience at ten years of age like most jobs want of their employees

That's the only real issue at hand

Kanto can have bug contests too ya know

Oh I know, in my fanfic I've done that a few times already with various characters

Oh I know, in my fanfic I've done that a few times already with various characters
Ash would frankly be better off being a teacher at this point and do what Kukui does - disguise getting out of the classroom as a field trip and write off interacting with pokemon as a business expense

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom