• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN006: Catch a Lot of Pokémon! The Path to Mew!!

Confusingly, I think Go catches all the evolved formes of Kanto Bug-types in separate Pokeballs rather than just catching their first formes, hinting that evaluation simply does not exist in the "reboot".

I've already made a post in which I counter each of your arguments towards Venonat representing a challenge for Go, with my conclusion being that the difficulty it posed is the equivalent of a bump in the road, at best
Opinions can't disprove facts. It doesn't matter how you feel about the battle and challenge it posed, it gave him trouble and it's a fact. Try again next time.

Opinions can't disprove facts. It doesn't matter how you feel about the battle and challenge it posed, it gave him trouble and it's a fact. Try again next time.
Okay, I'll really try to keep my sneakiness tame, but I can't promise anything.

Bold! Bold of you to bring up objectivity, considering that just a couple of months ago you were the one who was arguing that Rowlet development and the quality of its battle against Decidueye can't be analyzed objectively and even refused to watch a video discussing objective analysis in media (while also calling the person who made that video a badman)! Regardless, your arguments for why it actually represented a challenge can be and have already been countered.

"It escaped form a Poké Ball" - news flash, you need to weaken a Pokémon before throwing a Poké Ball at it, otherwise it will definitely escape form it. That's something that's been well established in the anime for decades now. Even going by the games' logic, throwing a regular Poké Ball at a Pokémon at full health will result in the capture failing in the core games and a regular Poké Ball isn't that effective at catching certain Pokémon (like Venonat) in Pokémon GO. No matter how you try to spin it, Venonat breaking free from that ball isn't that outstanding or noteworthy and it's probably the most usual thing regarding Pokémon catching in this entire episode, nor is it a hindrance that stops his catch quest in its tracks, as the whole battle/capture ends in under a minute.

"It forced him to battle it" - no it didn't. Go was even show that he was ready to toss another ball at it because it was faster. Scorbunny was the one who voluntarily got into the battle. Compare that to Scyther, who actually forced Go to battle it, since it kept knocking out the balls Go was throwing at it (to the point that Go ended up being down to his last Poké Ball) and who kept attacking him and Scorbunny.

"It was strong enough to match Scorbunny's power in that battle" - it didn't even use and attacking moves on Scorbunny, so you can't tell how powerful it actually was. All it did was use a status move that's guaranteed to poison its target (one that a good amount of other Poison-types and Bug-types learn, so, again, not proof of its strength), that seriously weakened Scorbunny only after it was caught (thus not having any actual impact on the capture itself).

"It forced them to go to a Pokémon Center to deal with the poison" - something that, again, didn't affect either the battle and/or the capture themselves. It's also something that gets resolved in under a minute as well, so it wasn't that big of an obstacle, as Go and Scorbunny overcame it pretty fast. You could say that it ate up some of their time, but Go wasn't on a time limit or something like that now, was he?

All this shows is that, at best, the whole thing presented a very minor challenge for Go. He catches it very quickly and deals with the consequences of the battle just as fast. You're basically comparing a pile of sticks blocking a path to a giant boulder blocking a similar path and saying that both of them are equally difficult just because both of them are obstacles, while completely disregarding the difficulty they pose (or lack of it). Compared to Scyther, who deflects Go's balls twice, attacks Go twice, actually forces Go to battle it and forces Go to actually come up with a strategy to defeat it, no, Venonat didn't actually give Go that much trouble. And even if I were to concede that Venonat did indeed give Go trouble, how much would that even change my point? "Oh, I was wrong, out of the 12 Pokémon that he caught, only 2 of them were challenging to capture, instead of just one". We went from about 8% of the number of Pokémon that Go caught giving him trouble to about 16%. Yeah, what a ginormous difference! Still doesn't change the fact that a huge majority of his catches were easily caught to the point of triviality.

Bold! Bold of you to bring up objectivity, considering that just a couple of months ago you were the one who was arguing that Rowlet development and the quality of its battle against Decidueye can't be analyzed objectively
Because what you called "analysis" was nothing but subjective opinions. And you're doing the exact same thing here by ignoring Venonat's accomplishments with weasel words like comparing it to "speed bump." And no, I'm not gonna give anymore Youtube ad money to your friend on Youtube.

Because what you called "analysis" was nothing but subjective opinions.

Not once in this conversation do I reference my feelings towards this episode or towards Venonat's capture (and I do generally make an effort to try and keep the way I feel towards something out of my posts (doesn't mean that I'm always successful)). What I did in these posts was take a look at what happens during that moment, Venonat's actions during the battle, their effects on the capture/battle and I drew a conclusion from all that (the same as what I did back then as well). Nowhere did I pull the "in my (subjective) opinion" card to justify my statements.

And you're doing the exact same thing here by ignoring Venonat's accomplishments with weasel words like comparing it to "speed bump."

Because half of its accomplishments are things that any Pokémon can accomplish and the other half are solved and rendered inconsequential in a matter of seconds. And, again, even if I were to accept that Venonat was a serious challenge, how exactly does that change my overall point?

Also, stop misusing words! My comparison to it being a "bump in the road" is not vague or ambiguous at all (which is what weasel words are), as it means a minor obstacle/setback, which is precisely what I call Venonat's capture!

And no, I'm not gonna give anymore Youtube ad money to your friend on Youtube.

He's not actually a friend or someone that I intimately know, he's just a content creator I watch and someone who has an informed perspective on the subject. And if ad revenue is the problem here, stuff like AdBlock does exist and is free.

"So, Ash, what's your goal?"

"To be a Pokémon master!!"

"What does that even mean..?"

"It means FWOOSH! KA-POW! BAMBAMBLAMBLAM! And so much more!!"

Wait to give a non answer, writers.

Confusingly, I think Go catches all the evolved formes of Kanto Bug-types in separate Pokeballs rather than just catching their first formes, hinting that evaluation simply does not exist in the "reboot".

There's no such thing as "evolution", Arceus created all pokemon equal and they can't change. If Primeape evolved from Mankey, how come there are still Mankey around, huh? Also, there's no breeding, Wingull and Cramorant just deliver pokemon eggs straight from Arceus realm.

Yeah I didn’t like it. It actually makes me worried we might not see any of ash’s old Pokémon.

And, again, even if I were to accept that Venonat was a serious challenge, how exactly does that change my overall point?
Which overall point? I don't remember arguing against anything other than your denial of Venonat's overall accomplishments.
Not once in this conversation do I reference my feelings towards this episode or towards Venonat's capture
"Venonat didn't give Gou any trouble" looks pretty subjective to me.
Also, stop misusing words! My comparison to it being a "bump in the road" is not vague or ambiguous at all (which is what weasel words are), as it means a minor obstacle/setback, which is precisely what I call Venonat's capture!
Yes it is ambigious, considering by your definition anything could be regarded as "bump in the road," inclusing Scyther, who lasted barely longer against Scorbunny and didn't even force Gou into a visit to Pokémon Center.

Which overall point? I don't remember arguing against anything other than your denial of Venonat's overall accomplishments.

The one that you somehow missed despite quoting it:
Go successfully catching all the Kanto Bug Pokémon while barely breaking a sweat, with Scyther being the only one that actually gives him some trouble.
You know, the point that I even reiterated here:
And even if I were to concede that Venonat did indeed give Go trouble, how much would that even change my point? "Oh, I was wrong, out of the 12 Pokémon that he caught, only 2 of them were challenging to capture, instead of just one". We went from about 8% of the number of Pokémon that Go caught giving him trouble to about 16%. Yeah, what a ginormous difference! Still doesn't change the fact that a huge majority of his catches were easily caught to the point of triviality.
Nice to see you're reading my posts.

"Venonat didn't give Gou any trouble" looks pretty subjective to me.

But there's nothing inherently subjective regarding that statement. At best, you could make a case about it being untrue or misinformed, but that wouldn't suddenly make it subjective.

Yes it is ambigious, considering by your definition anything could be regarded as "bump in the road," inclusing Scyther, who lasted barely longer against Scorbunny and didn't even force Gou into a visit to Pokémon Center.

And this proves that you're not even reading my posts, since I actually compared Venonat to Scyther right here:
Compare that to Scyther, who actually forced Go to battle it, since it kept knocking out the balls Go was throwing at it (to the point that Go ended up being down to his last Poké Ball) and who kept attacking him and Scorbunny.
And nice to see that you also ignored all of the other posts I made explaining why Venonat was just minor setback. You know, if you're not even gonna read what I have to say, might as well tell me from the get go. Also, no, Scyther's battle with Scorbunny and its capture weren't shorter than Venonat's, as it was about two minutes long (even longer if you were to count Go's previous encounter with it).

The one that you somehow missed despite quoting it:
Maybe because I don't care about your "overall point" other than the part about Venonat? Let's say Gou easily catched most of those pokémon, so what?
At best, you could make a case about it being untrue or misinformed, but that wouldn't suddenly make it subjective.
Your definition of "trouble" is based on how hard it is to catch it, which is pretty subjective unless used as a comparison, and even then, both Scyther and Venonat's respective captures could be seen as "harder" because of different circumstances and problems each pokémon caused.
And this proves that you're not even reading my posts, since I actually compared Venonat to Scyther right here:
How is that proves anything like that? Because I also compared them? Did I claimed that you didn't compare them? I don't understand.
Also, no, Scyther's battle with Scorbunny and its capture weren't shorter than Venonat's
I said "lasted barely longer," not that it was shorter?

I said "lasted barely longer," not that it was shorter?

Right... sorry about that. Seems I somehow managed to misread that.

Let's say Gou easily catched most of those pokémon, so what?

Well, you see, that's a problem. Because it contradicts all of the series prior to this one, which showed that it's not that easy to catch a Pokémon. It trivializes catching Pokémon, an event that used to be considered pretty important in the past. It takes away from previous captures, which were generally considered to be huge achievements for Ash and the companions. And there's also this little post recently made by @sc190191, that points a few other problems regarding this whole Pokémon GO mentality.

Your definition of "trouble" is based on how hard it is to catch it, which is pretty subjective unless used as a comparison, and even then, both Scyther and Venonat's respective captures could be seen as "harder" because of different circumstances and problems each pokémon caused.

My reasoning behind what constitutes as a trouble is actually based on whether Go struggled during the Pokémon's capture or not, whether or not Go had to battle it to catch it and whether or not he use some strategies during the battle, whether or not it took Go multiple attempts or not and how many... you know, factors that can be measured based on what happens in the episode and not on what I feel about capture. Outside of the last one, none of the others apply to Venonat (as he wasn't shown to be struggling to get it (at best, he was annoyed because the first ball didn't instantaneously catch it), it was shown that he didn't have to battle it (nor did he even want to) and he most certainly didn't attempt to use any kind of strategy during the battle, no matter how minor it was (P.S.: just in case you're thinking of bringing this up again, the fact that the poison nearly knocked out Scorbunny doesn't count, as that happened after the battle/capture, not during or prior to it, so it didn't affect its capture in any way)). And, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that throughout this entire discussion, I've slowly started to accept that Venonat did indeed pose a minor challenge for Go, but the difficulty it posed was so small, that there's no point in mentioning it.

How is that proves anything like that? Because I also compared them? Did I claimed that you didn't compare them? I don't understand.

It's more so the fact that you seem to be posting stuff that already address, which definitely makes it seem like you're ignoring the stuff I'm writing and that you're only selectively choosing certain parts of my post that you want to respond to. Though I'm willing to admit that it might just be me getting the wrong impression.

Last edited:
I wonder if Scyther is going to be a mainstay, its the only one that seems to actually train in the end of the episode, while all the others including Pinsir are acting goofy and playful.

The episode was alright and Scyther is cool but I can't help think it's missing something. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Oh yeah, Team Rocket. Seriously, they needed to be here, the bug catching started to drag after a while and did we really need the Scorbunny getting poisoned bit? How hard would it have been to add them in? The setup was there, "Sup Go, thanks for catching all those bugs for us!"

So the next episode confirms that the Pidgeot that briefly appeared this episode wasn't caught by Ash

At least, that's the way it appears so why give Pidgeot a cameo

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom