• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN007: The Hoenn Region, Site of Fierce Fights! The Battle Frontier Challenge!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids would look for information if they are interested. However, if kids feel confused or alienated, it's pretty likely they won't look for information. That's why they don't want that kids need to see previous seasons.

That said, there are simple ways to introduce old Pokemon and companions to new audience them (withou kids needing to see old seasons). So, that isn't the reason why they donw't show old Pokemon or companions.

The more likely reason is that they just want to focus on the new characters for this new season, since the audience will follow their story.

I feel like you’re underestimating children, my friend. Curiosity about a TV show is a thing, and internet makes it absolutely accessible. If anything, the fact that there was stuff before the current show should make a child that’s getting hooked up even more curious.

I understand that they probably aren’t letting Ash use older Pokémon because it’s a new series and they don’t want to confuse the new audience.

Except, I don’t understand that at all.

-The Pokémon TV app has loads off old episodes- i’m sure the Japanese have access to it, and all the tech savvy children will get onto the website or just use the app to watch all these episodes. All the Japanese variety shows constantly refer to the old series and show clips, even featuring previous companions.
-The Sun and Moon series just finished, The audience hasn’t changed.
-Everyone, especially children, loves Charizard, Sceptile, Lycanroc, etc, they would not care if Ash just sent a Pokémon out and had a good cool battle without having to relay the Pokémon’s backstory.

If it’s really the reason they won’t let him use all Pokémon – It makes no sense.

As for what else could be the reason, I am completely baffled.

Why do they need flashbacks? The series already established Ash is an experienced trainer. Kids aren't stupid, if he sends out a Pokémon that hasn't appeared before they can figure out it's one he caught in the past.

Given that Charizard's comeback in BW had an entire montage of high-quality flashbacks, I'm thinking yes.

Given that Charizard's comeback in BW had an entire montage of high-quality flashbacks, I'm thinking yes.
Several of his Pokémon appeared more recently in SuMO with no flashbacks; Bulbasaur, Muk, Taurus, Squirtle, and we saw a Corphish and Totodile that were likely his.
Charizard was coming back as a full traveling companion; they don't need a huge introduction for a Pokémon coming back to battle for one episode.
Edit:
I feel like you’re underestimating children, my friend. Curiosity about a TV show is a thing, and internet makes it absolutely accessible. If anything, the fact that there was stuff before the current show should make a child that’s getting hooked up even more curious.
I've got a personal example for this, actually. When I was a kid I loved Beast Wars: Transformers. The original Transformers was refernenced quite regularly in it and characters from it even appeared a handful of times. I'd never seen the original (or if I had I only had very vague memories), but I wasn't confused at all; I just understood this was a continuation of a previous work.
I really doubt I'm some sort of genius compared to today's children.

Last edited:
I've got a personal example for this, actually. When I was a kid I loved Beast Wars: Transformers. The original Transformers was refernenced quite regularly in it and characters from it even appeared a handful of times. I'd never seen the original (or if I had I only had very vague memories), but I wasn't confused at all; I just understood this was a continuation of a previous work.
I really doubt I'm some sort of genius compared to today's children.
Agreed. And as for myself, when I was a kid, Dragon Ball Z aired on television and at various points would make references to and show flashbacks to Dragon Ball, the series that came before it. This in no way confused me and instead had me look up more of DBZ on the internet before watching Dragon Ball when it finally aired in America. If a kid is really interested in something, they’ll seek out more of it.

That was close to 10 years ago, things change. Also I think that people are underestimating how hard it is to reintroduce Ash's old Pokemon. One or two here and there isn't much of a problem, but bringing many of them back would be a hassle since the animators would likely have to animate flashback scenes for each one just to get the new viewers (which I'm willing to bet make up the vast majority of the audience) up to speed.
So... basically you're being an apologist to and defending the lazy writing, hmm?

You're the one overestimating the difficulty in reintroducing Ash's reserves to the audience. They've done it often before, with SM being the most recent example and it didn't look like it was that difficult for them. They're more than capable of doing it, and no, only the most casual or dumbest kids would be "cOnFUSeD".

The real question is why they're bait advertising then for some reason taking the roundabout route to avoid referencing continuity, at this point it's like they're literally giving fans the bird. Not to mention how aimless this series feels till now.

As everyone else, I was a kid in the past. In my case, when something confused me, I wasn't more interested on that, I just ignored or dropped it.

So, I don't think the mentality that "kids shouldn't need to look for information about old seasons to totally enjoy this new season" is wrong.

That said, there are simple ways to introduce old Pokemon without kids needing to see old seasons. So, I don't think that's the reason why the staff doesn't show old Pokemon.
Every kid =/= you.

My 7 year old cousin recently got to binge watching the entire anime on weekends and every time he saw an old Pokemon, he'd ask me about it with curiosity or browse the internet. Yes... curiosity is the natural trait of children, not confusion. And given the access to the internet and technology that today's kids have, there's shouldn't ever be an issue with "cOnFuSiON".

Last edited:
Go caught 12 Pokemon in a single episode, and is planning on catching all of them, but they don't have enough time to introduce Ash's old Pokemon? They are preparing the audience to see new Pokemon all the time, and Go will either cycle his frequently or completely ignore a bunch, but either way there are going to be Pokemon popping in and out throughout the series, there really isn't any reason to not include Ash's. Is the problem the fact that Ash's actually have personality, when Go's all just act the same? I can't imagine a kid is going to be upset because Bayleef is affectionate or Totodile dances around, they will probably just find it funny/interesting like we did when they were new, or maybe even find it exciting that Pokemon are acting like individuals instead of all acting the same, making the Pokemon anime world more exciting. Kids can look them up, but they honestly don't even need to, Ash is an experienced trainer, has some Pokemon, its not that crazy, I doubt very many kids don't realize the show has been around a long time. The excuses people make are mind boggling to me, sometimes you just have to be a contrarian I guess.

On a separate note, Mimey looks crazy small next to that Hariyama, it is supposedly more than half the height of a Hariyama average according to game info.

Just have Go capture a bunch of Pokémon near Oak's lab and establish that Ash had lots of reserves, simple. The children now know Ash is an experienced trainer with reserves (as if it wasn’t painfully obvious with him being an Alola champion).

And TPCi as a whole clearly considers children clever enough to look up stuff on mobile since they’re showing the episodes on YouTube, the main characters have smartphones, and entire features were cut from the series in a fit of mobile-phobia. And I forgot about it before, but the enter series exists to promote a mobile game with the new protagonist literally named after it.

Last edited:
My main worry is that they may not even acknowledge that he has other Pokemon he can use, Ash will probably act as if he has no other Pokemon of his own he can use and decides to use Mimey.

You mean the same vague promotional material we get literally every series that presents Ash and friends with random Pokémon, most of which never have any kind of significant role?
Kanto.png

This kind of of promotional material? Do these Kanto starters seem random to you? I might agree if the Charizard were a Charmander, but that isn't the case and they're in Pallet rather than Sakuragi's lab. Bulbasaur and Squirtle are super friendly with each other, too.

And what vague hints in summaries are you seeing that the rest of us aren’t because we are now at 7 or the 9 episodes they gave us summaries for and there has been nothing to show that alleviates people’s frustration. Anything that seems like it ties into the past has turned out to be nothing more than a bait and switch used to build anticipation before ultimately delivering on nothing.
No, my point is that if you ignore certain types of promotional material, you should ignore all of them and stop making a fuss. Just judge the show for what it is, I guess.

As far as I'm concerned, key art and certain merchandise indicate that Ash will get a Rainbow Wing soon and reunite with the Kanto starters. That's enough for me at this point.

Every kid =/= you.

My 7 year old cousin recently got to binge watching the entire anime on weekends and every time he saw an old Pokemon, he'd ask me about it with curiosity or browse the internet. Yes... curiosity is the natural trait of children, not confusion. And given the access to the internet and technology that today's kids have, there's shouldn't ever be an issue with "cOnFuSiON".

I can't believe you read my post and assume I was trying to speak for every kid. I mean, I even mentioned it was "my case" to avoid this conclusion.

In other post, I also mentioned that if kids are interested in things they will look for information.

Kids would look for information if they are interested. However, if kids feel confused or alienated, it's pretty likely they won't look for information. That's why they don't want that kids need to see previous seasons.

That said, there are simple ways to introduce old Pokemon and companions to new audience (without kids needing to see old seasons). So, that isn't the reason why they don't show old Pokemon or companions.

My only point is that kids that feel confusion and dropped things for that existed. Even if they are a minority, it wouldn't be so weird to consider them.

After all, kids who would feel curiosity about old Pokemon won't be affected if they don't appear (kids can't feel angry the staff ignoring the past, as they don't know much or feel attachment about this past).

However, if kids feel confused and dropped things, it will be a lost of the audience.

PS: As I mentioned (two times), I don't think this is the reason why old Pokemon don't appear in Pocket Monster, since there are simple ways to introduce old Pokemon to a new audience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom