• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN008: Don't Lose, Pochama! The Drift Ice Race in the Sinnoh Region!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally, almost every Galar mon has been revealed. You could argue that "kids don't check leaks" but in the same vein of thinking, they wouldn't check the titles of upcoming episodes so that entire point is moot. Besides, I don't recall any past capture episodes having hidden titles.

Captures just don't warrant that much secrecy unless a legendary like Ho-oh, Mewtwo .etc. decide to join his team.
But the return of two old companions does? Also, this episode might not even have Brock or Dawn in it.

I didn't necessarily say that, I said that for a title to be hidden out of order until the last possible moment, it has to be quite a big spoiler which is what happened with SM141 (too bad Oha Suta didn't give a fuck).
SM141 was hidden because it spoiled the outcome of the Alolan League, and they didn't want that. It's possible that this title is hidden because it contains the name of an unrevealed Galar Pokemon, especially considering that Game Freak would be forced to reveal that Pokemon if Episode 7's title was announced along with Episodes 6, 8, and 9.

I really don't think that Dawn and Brock are coming back here.
Well, Brock might return later on, but it wouldn't be related to DP, and he's more likely to be paired with Misty than Dawn. His appearance might be just another reminder that he exists, even though there's a good chance he'd have to be reintroduced because none of the kids from 2018 would be watching the anime around 2020 - 2022 in the minds of the writers.

I doubt Dawn will return in the SwSh anime, mainly because she's not from the original series like Ash and Brock (and Misty), and therefore, doesn't have enough nostalgia for the writers to exploit. Though I'd be surprised if she appears, given the writers have broken several traditions in SM.

Well, Brock might return later on, but it wouldn't be related to DP, and he's more likely to be paired with Misty than Dawn. His appearance might be just another reminder that he exists, even though there's a good chance he'd have to be reintroduced because none of the kids from 2018 would be watching the anime around 2020 - 2022 in the minds of the writers.

I doubt Dawn will return in the SwSh anime, mainly because she's not from the original series like Ash and Brock (and Misty), and therefore, doesn't have enough nostalgia for the writers to exploit. Though I'd be surprised if she appears, given the writers have broken several traditions in SM.
Dawn might return, but only if the next games after Sword & Shield are Sinnoh remakes.

bruh, then-10-year-olds who watched DP in 2006 are old enough now to tap into that nostalgia-fueled magic you know :((
I can testify, Memories Are Made of Bliss was a real crier...

We are definitely not getting Brock in this Episode, he won't immediately come to Sinnoh and just feature in One Episode, Dawn on the other hand is likely to appear. Also IF this really is Brock's Croagunk then why are they portraying it in such a negative light by cheering for Piplup?

Following the Charjabug and Vikavolt Races from Sun and Moon, I'm quite curious to see how the Ice Flow race goes

Just hope Team Rocket don't attempt to steal the Pokemon. Won't mind if they compete in the race though as long as they don't try and cheat

I don't think calling back Sinnoh characters this early would serve much to the cause of gen IV remakes, if there is indeed DPPt remakes on the way. Then again, this might be the start of the nostalgia/world travel of sorts. We might even see a shift after this episode, which might be related to Piplup and/or its trainer (fingers crossed big time)

We are definitely not getting Brock in this Episode, he won't immediately come to Sinnoh and just feature in One Episode, Dawn on the other hand is likely to appear. Also IF this really is Brock's Croagunk then why are they portraying it in such a negative light by cheering for Piplup?
I really don't think they would split these two up though. I think they'll both be the ones we know or both be randos. I suppose Brock's Croagunk could be in Sinnoh without him for some reason. It's also possible that episode 7 will introduce Brock into the series and also give him a reason to be in Sinnoh in the next episode.

I wouldn't necessarily say Croagunk is being put in a bad light here just because we're rooting for Piplup. On the poster we see him saving Piplup from falling off a volacano.

I really don't think they would split these two up though. I think they'll both be the ones we know or both be randos. I suppose Brock's Croagunk could be in Sinnoh without him for some reason. It's also possible that episode 7 will introduce Brock into the series and also give him a reason to be in Sinnoh in the next episode.

I wouldn't necessarily say Croagunk is being put in a bad light here just because we're rooting for Piplup. On the poster we see him saving Piplup from falling off a volacano.

but why tho?
we saw Brock and Misty in SM, May in DP, Dawn in BW and finally, after BW, Cilan met Brock in Johto.
I know Ash, Brock and Dawn had a great run, but I still think this episode won't be about them :(

but why tho?
we saw Brock and Misty in SM, May in DP, Dawn in BW and finally, after BW, Cilan met Brock in Johto.
I know Ash, Brock and Dawn had a great run, but I still think this episode won't be about them :(
Because these two Pokemon are intrinsically linked to those two characters. You can ask why they would bring back 10 year old characters at this point, which is a valid question, but the answer to that is this series is grounded in nostalgia. Even the SM anime which wasn't very continuity-heavy brought back Brock and Misty, so it's unrealistic to expect this series which is the first truly backwards looking series of the anime, to somehow have adopted the mindset that they need to avoid cameos at all cost. And the fact is, a reference to Piplup and Croagunk = a reference to Dawn and Brock. All showing off these Pokemon is going to accomplish is making people remember those characters and the DP arc, which is clearly what they're going for. So what possible reason could they have for not bringing those characters back if they are going to allude to them so strongly anyway? The end result is the same; nostalgia for these two fan favorite characters. That's their intent. DP anime nostalgia, no arguing that. And from that perspective omitting Dawn and Brock would be pointless and counterintuitive.

It's one or the other. If they want us to remember past companions they are going to feature them in the series. SM already set that precedent. If they'd rather we forget, they surely aren't going to make an early episode set in Sinnoh featuring Piplup and Croagunk in what would be a pretty despicable bait and switch. I think the only logical reason they would want to avoid cameos is to avoid the trouble of rounding up all the old voice actors, which admittedly I can't speak to the difficulty of. I do know that most of the older voice actors are still quite active, and that Brock's voice actor is still doing voices for the show so he certainly wouldn't be a problem. And just from the few interviews I've read I get the feeling that many of these Japanese voice actors were quite fond of their roles and many would likely jump at the chance to reprise them.

Last edited:
Because these two Pokemon are intrinsically linked to those two characters. You can ask why they would bring back 10 year old characters at this point, which is a valid question, but the answer to that is this series is grounded in nostalgia. Even the SM anime which wasn't very continuity-heavy brought back Brock and Misty, so it's unrealistic to expect this series which is the first truly backwards looking series of the anime, to somehow have adopted the mindset that they need to avoid cameos at all cost. And the fact is, a reference to Piplup and Croagunk = a reference to Dawn and Brock. All showing off these Pokemon is going to accomplish is making people remember those characters and the DP arc, which is clearly what they're going for. So what possible reason could they have for not bringing those characters back if they are going to allude to them so strongly anyway? The end result is the same; nostalgia for these two fan favorite characters. That's their intent. DP anime nostalgia, no arguing that. And from that perspective omitting Dawn and Brock would be pointless and counterintuitive.

It's one or the other. If they want us to remember past companions they are going to feature them in the series. SM already set that precedent. If they'd rather we forget, they surely aren't going to make an early episode set in Sinnoh featuring Piplup and Croagunk in what would be a pretty despicable bait and switch. I think the only logical reason they would want to avoid cameos is to avoid the trouble of rounding up all the old voice actors, which admittedly I can't speak to the difficulty of. I do know that most of the older voice actors are still quite active, and that Brock's voice actor is still doing voices for the show so he certainly wouldn't be a problem. And just from the few interviews I've read I get the feeling that many of these Japanese voice actors were quite fond of their roles and many would likely jump at the chance to reprise them.
Firstly, bringing back Brock and Misty was primarily owning to Let's Go releases if you ask me. Hence, making Dawn appear this early would be overkill (providing there are DP remakes down the line). But I really wish to see them!
The way I see this, is that, if indeed Dawn comes back, the anime might take a more subtle turn towards settling down aka taking region jumping to a slower pace. If you want a reason as to why show both of those pokemon together, I say, to lure people. SS001 was a hollow episode, after all that buzz and hype. DP nostalgia is real, not sure about the creators tho.
But seriously, if this turns out to be yet another clickbait, I'm gonna burst

Firstly, bringing back Brock and Misty was primarily owning to Let's Go releases if you ask me. Hence, making Dawn appear this early would be overkill (providing there are DP remakes down the line). But I really wish to see them!
Brock and Misty appeared literally more than a year before the release of Let's Go, though.
Release date of Let's Go: November 2018.
Japanese Airing of the episode: September 2017.

I think that Piplup and Croagunk will just be owned by random new trainers.
And that'll be pretty much be shooting oneself in the foot for bait and switching.

Why according to you would they be using Piplup and Croagunk out of all the Gen 4 Pokemon, together in the same episode, in Sinnoh... only for them to be owned by random CotD trainers with no significance to the main character (outside of "muh opinion")?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom