• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN009: The Promise We Made that Day! The Houou Legend of the Johto Region!!

This episode is even worse than the previous and before the previous. Seriously, it just showing up annoying kid shouting for Ho-Ho that unfortunately only his grandfather saw it.

Overall rating: C-

Not the best episode, Go easily catching three more Pokemon

What I did like was that one character of the day had two Pokemon again, most Sun and Moon characters only had 1

Another example of bait and switch filler, and false advertising to lure in older fans who've long given up on the anime. How long could this last before the audience is desensitized to false advertising, and therefore, be permanently tainted with the reputation of exploiting its past that it won't acknowledge just to draw in ratings?

Satoshi seemed surprised when Gou told him that Houou's known to show up in Bell Tower...

There was also absolutely nothing in the episode's dialogue to indicate that Satoshi had ever been to Enju City before.
That would make the chances of Ash and Lance acting like they never met in a later episode be almost guarantied if Ash acted like he's never been to Ecruteak City.

Not the best episode, Go easily catching three more Pokemon

What I did like was that one character of the day had two Pokemon again, most Sun and Moon characters only had 1
Maybe this episode could have been done better if Team Rocket Trio appeared in it.

More pointless throwaway captures. Tell me again how Go's goal isn't boring? Every time he throws a ball he succeeds and the Pokemon's tossed in a box never to be seen again. And with him catching 2-3 every episode? That is a completely accurate statement to make. Quality > Quantity
I seriously hope Ash is at least allowed to battle his captures! This throw-ball-and-done method is stupid and just shits on everything the anime stood for. What happened to bonding with Pokemon or battling them before catching them?

Easily the worst Ho-oh episode, after a 10+ year absence you'd think having another Ho-oh episode would be special. Not a bland filler-esque episode(And yes, Go catching stuff still counts as filler)! Not to mention.... Ash didn't even see Ho-oh. -_-

Or not, some episodes are to bad to begin with I have not watched it but from what I read It could have been done a lot better
That's actually true, but what's the point of Go catching Pokemon without even battling them? If this series is based on Pokemon Go rather than Sword and Shield, I understand. But don't worry, I'm sure episode 12 with Leon and Lance will be better.

I'm only half-way through it and I can't stress enough just how much of a chore it is. So much so that I'm actually going to drop it and come back when there are subtitles, but even then I'm not convinced the episode will become any less dull. I'm also running out of ways to complain about instant catches, out of place country music and feminine deficiency, things which have all been present in abundance in the half I have seen. Maybe from next time on I'll just refer to them as "the usual complaints" unless any of them are particularly egregious like Gou catching a Dragonite (or even a Dratini since that has a low catch-rate) in a PokéBall with no battle, which I really hope they aren't dumb enough to do.

Once again the only things I've really liked have been the establishing shots of the area and the fact that Gou's Pokémon continue to show up in the greenhouse at the start. The flashback to EP001 was kind of nice too even if it was largely mired by the current Ash model looking almost nothing like Ash did at the time.

I'll return with my thoughts on the complete episode once I've seen the subtitled version.

Twilight Wings focusing on random kid in hospital who dreams of meeting Leon - great episode, "why the main anime is not like this".

Main anime focusing on random kid trying to restore his grandfather's faith in Ho-Oh - "boring filler".

I don't get this fandom.

Twilight Wings focusing on random kid in hospital who dreams of meeting Leon - great episode, "why the main anime is not like this".

Main anime focusing on random kid trying to restore his grandfather's faith in Ho-Oh - "boring filler".

I don't get this fandom.
Maybe because Twilight Wings shows the path of a different character with a different storyline which somewhat follows the SwSh games, and it's just starting out?

Maybe because the main anime already has a main character who's not getting much focus and the other main character has devolved into a psychopathic Gary Stu? Maybe because Ho-oh is supposed to be very important relevant to the former of the main characters, which is further shown in the artwork, but the actual episode is nothing like that and ends up just being exactly that - a boring filler? Maybe because of the bait and switch advertising, which in this case seems intentional and very rude?

Last edited:
The anime is being massacred.

I think it is especially frustrating to me that they’ve done this now. Galar was one of the first stories that would have insanely suited Ash. Ash would have thrived in a truly competitive battle environment, exploring the Wild Area and completing trials before the battle would have been really fun to watch. But this has... been wholly disappointing.

I live in hope that after Ash watches Leon battle he’ll be drafted into the Galar league and the region hopping stops. But with Twilight Wings being so good I truly doubt that will happen.

This series start is honestly pathethic. If things don't start picking up in the Leon episode (e.g. giving Ash a goal) then yeah... won't bother watching this anymore. The anime has seriously NEVER been in such a bad state. Music, animation, writing, direction. Everything failing at once.

Another one to add to the completely boring and skippable batch of episodes... man, the list of mediocre to bad episodes on my notepad ain't looking so hot.

They'd better start picking the pace up right about now or this might end up being my first series I'll be dropping out of for a bit since BW.

Also, quick reminder that Yamper now has had more screen time than Koharu.
Ya know, the girl that owns it.

Maybe because Twilight Wings shows the path of a different character with a different storyline which somewhat follows the SwSh games, and it's just starting out?

Maybe because the main anime already has a main character who's not getting much focus and the other main character has devolved into a psychopathic Gary Stu? Maybe because Ho-oh is supposed to be very important relevant to the former of the main characters, which is further shown in the artwork, but the actual episode is nothing like that and ends up just being exactly that - a boring filler? Maybe because of the bait and switch advertising, which in this case seems intentional and very rude?
That's not I was talking about. I was comparing plots of both episodes that focused on completly new character. The complains that:
a) one focuses on character that may be the main one and the other on one-off character
b) one includes more game content than the other
has nothing to do with the actual plot of that specific episode. I don't see how sick kid delivering a letter to his idol is that much better than kid trying to fulfil his grandfather's dream of seeing Ho-Oh again.

All the complaints about Ash playing minor role here and pointless bait-and-switch are fair of course, but this episode wasn't mainly about Ash, this was Kurio's and his grandpa's story and from that point of view, it's wasn't any worse than the Twilight Wings short (for me at least).

That's not I was talking about. I was comparing plots of both episodes that focused on completly new character. The complains that:
a) one focuses on character that may be the main one and the other on one-off character
b) one includes more game content than the other
has nothing to do with the actual plot of that specific episode. I don't see how sick kid delivering a letter to his idol is that much better than kid trying to fulfil his grandfather's dream of seeing Ho-Oh again.

All the complaints about Ash playing minor role here and pointless bait-and-switch are fair of course, but this episode wasn't mainly about Ash, this was Kurio's and his grandpa's story and from that point of view, it's wasn't any worse than the Twilight Wings short (for me at least).
They're two different scenarios. I can assume that if the Twilight Wings plot was shoved into an episode of the main anime, it would have received mixed reactions in a similar light that most boring fillers get.

Quoting your underlined point, WHY is it about Kurio's grandfather? Why should we care about a character who'll never appear again? Why should we care about the grandpa's connection to Ho-oh when the main reason people are watching this episode is because of Ash and Ho-oh's long standing connection? That's the problem, this episode is supposed to be about Ash especially if you take the artwork and promotion into account, not some random CotD's.

Last edited:
This series start is honestly pathethic. If things don't start picking up in the Leon episode (e.g. giving Ash a goal) then yeah... won't bother watching this anymore. The anime has seriously NEVER been in such a bad state. Music, animation, writing, direction. Everything failing at once.
Then what about episode 8? It was a little meh though. I bet the Leon episode is gonna be great.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom