• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN010: The Kairyu Paradise and Hakuryu's Ordeal!

I doubt the subs are out yet so I'll mention this; according to @AshandSerena on twitter after Gou ran out of Pokéballs Ash offered to give him one but Gou refused since Ash might need it later.
And, it ended up working out as Ash caught a Dragonite himself.

Well, this episode was a pleasant surprise in more ways than one. First of all, seeing Go having trouble capturing Jugon was a blessed relief... agreed, he should have battled it with Hibanny but I guess he is fully committed to following the rules from the game he's name after.

But the best part about this was seeing Satoshi finally taking the actual center stage and doing what he's best at - training Pokemon. Seeing him helping Hakuryu to fly by jumping into Electroweb was such a natural thing for him to do, and I especially appreciate the show for making him and Go actually look like they're doing research for once (as opposed to Go just catching whatever pops up while Satoshi has something fall on him). Even the Team Rocket battle was refreshing, their total lack of control over Whaloh was natural... how is anyone going to be able to command a Pokemon that size anyway?! I'm glad it managed to release itself, because it must have been miserable cooped up inside that ball.

Satoshi catching Kairyu was a total surprise... I was actually starting to think he wasn't going to make any captures for a long while to let Go hog the spotlight and seeing him make such a powerful capture right off the bat shows that this series is going to go in some crazy directions. I'm also amused how Satoshi's Kairyu's personality is the polar opposite of Iris'.

Honestly it’s bittersweet that ash actually got a dragonite. On one hand, ash has a pseudo legendary Pokémon on his team; but on the other hand, it most likely means he won’t get Dragapult because he already has a powerful dragon type.

I don't think anybody saw Ash catching a Dragonite coming. Still this episode is probably the best one yet. Gou finally had a challenge catching a pokemon, Ash was the focus for once, showed his best attributes with helping a pokemon, AND catches a pseudo?! Keep that up anime and there's hope for you yet

I'd have preferred Ash having a Dragonair... but this is good too! The summaries and what other people have said looks good, I’ll probably watch the episode tomorrow when I have time and give a proper review.

Would you rather have the already established Alola champion go back on his route 1 bird catching routine? Would you like him to go back to that?
I would still him to have a Corviknight, it’s an awesome route 1 bird

I'm probably in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind it. As long as he gets a Pokémon and he actually trains it and bonds with it and that Pokémon gets enough screen time and receives its own personality and character arc (and doesn't end up like Rowlet), then yeah, I'm all for it. Plus, as a Pokémon Champion, Ash should be more than capable to bring out a Pokémon's potential, be they unevolved or not.
Yeah but come on Corviknight is too awesome to stay a Rookidee.

Yeah but come on Corviknight is too awesome to stay a Rookidee.

I... didn't say that? I said that I wouldn't mind Ash catching unevolved Pokémon (like Rookidee for example) as long as they get to have some character arcs (which may (and should) include the Pokémon growing and, as a result of that, evolving). Not that I would want him to catch unevolved Pokémon and let them stay unevolved (like Rowlet; in fact, I outright said that I don't want them to become Rowlet Mk. II).

Finally, a step in the right direction.

Though it feels weird that took so long for Ash to get a capture...
Though boy did they ever make up for it!
I'm not even sure he'll even need anymore captures this series after that...

I doubt the subs are out yet so I'll mention this; according to @AshandSerena on twitter after Gou ran out of Pokéballs Ash offered to give him one but Gou refused since Ash might need it later.
Confirmed: Go has powerful psychic abilities.

jk

Desktop Screenshot 2020.01.26 - 14.56.07.43.png
Uh... Not really. That's a weirdly constructed face if I ever saw one, like the bottom half is slightly tilted downwards, while the top half feels slightly tilted upwards. The overall shape of the face looks to convex, even around the eye sockets. On the topic of eyes, the way they are drawn completely ignores the fact that faces are curved. The mouth is kinda doing its own thing pretty much and doesn't match the rest of the face too.

It was good to see Ash training Dragonair in a way that didn't involve a certain method that makes me feel uneasy

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle if you get my meaning
To this day, I have no idea what the writers were thinking doing that not just once but multiple times.

Anyways, let’s hope that this time they actually let Ash keep his pseudo-Legendary dragon and don’t come up with some stupid plot point to have him get rid of it this time.

Maybe he was not a Psycopath, just a Psychic.

And whats Lance going to have, Seadra?

Maybe Dragonite is getting a Gigantamax

I cant be the only one who feels lost with this series. I dont even know how to describe it. Maybe It0s a change for good of the series. But I dont see where this is heading... Im not sad or mad I just feel weird...

Anyone asking this is the best Team Rocket appearence of the series. But...

I found this episode to be very interesting. It focused heavily on the biology, behavior, and habitat of pokemon. I'm so impressed to have a research focused episode where Gou and Ash actually conducts field work such as observing behaviors (or rituals) and the shedded skin.

Also, I've been so used to the Dratini Dragonair Dragonite evolutionary line that I never thought to question why Dragonite looks so different, but Gou's question made sense. Two stages of snake-like appearances might make one assume that the last stage would be another snake form as well. Especially something as majestic as Milotic XD. I wonder if there's a myth behind the drastic change to a bipedal form?

It was certainly nice to see them show more about the pokemon themselves. Also, good to see Ash catch Dragonite.

Edit: I have nothing against the episode really cute, but come on ,a Kanto Pokémon of all things

I would have considered it a waste if Ash's only captures in his new boring life were only Galar Pokemon. I'd like to see Ash capture Pokemon he was deprived of in the past. I have hope for an Eevee or Lucario now.

They're leaning hard into giving people strong pokemon without any buildup - Ash gets in one episode what it took him entire seasons to do previously

Seems like he's learning all the wrong lessons from his boyfriend

Here's hoping dragonite actually sticks around and isn't left to rot with Go's pokemon

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom