• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN010: The Kairyu Paradise and Hakuryu's Ordeal!

I'm probably in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind it. As long as he gets a Pokémon and he actually trains it and bonds with it and that Pokémon gets enough screen time and receives its own personality and character arc (and doesn't end up like Rowlet), then yeah, I'm all for it. Plus, as a Pokémon Champion, Ash should be more than capable to bring out a Pokémon's potential, be they unevolved or not.
Oh, I certainly agree with you. But my point is that @santiagus claimed that Dragonite won’t get any development because it’s already powerful, when this is by no means the only way it can develop.

Hell, the episode went out of its way to point out how weird it is for Dragonite to grow limbs, so we might get a Grotle situation where it needs time to adapt to its form. We’ll see.

FINALLY, Ash gets to catch something for once, and a very good one at that.

Well, he is a Champion now. I think that fits him.
People keep saying that, but never back it up

Where does Ash say he's a champion in PM? Where is it acknowledged?

Don't say "Trophy in his bedroom" - that's just showing the progress of the anime over the past two decades

Don't say "Trophy in his bedroom" - that's just showing the progress of the anime over the past two decades
His battling skills are more than enough proof enough for me.

The hell? Why not? That trophy, along with the MR statue, are proof of his triumphs in Alola... hence Alolan Champion (not to mention all of his past accomplishments). It doesn't have to be said literally especially given how recent and fresh the Alola League should still be, even more so when you consider that the dub is at the same stage now, and it's not Ash's personality to flex about it and pull rank.

They're not there to just show the "anime's progress over the past two decades", but that of Ash's since at this point Ash/Pikachu are pretty much the faces of the entire anime.

The fact that you want to ignore them completely is outright baffling and nonsensical.

Last edited:

According to our own JohtoFiller he says "Alola Champion" in episode 2 when arguing with Gou over the bunk:
Edit: I think I can make it out myself, too.

Even ignoring that...Occam's Razor. Simplest explanation is the person we see become champion and who still has the champion trophy is champion.

Last edited:
Okay now that I watched the episode I calmed down a little, had some nice dinner, remembered that tomorrow is Monday (Ugh...) I will say it... (Sigh)

I liked it...

Yeah I did , I love watching Pokémon on his own environment, remember what I have been saying since all of this started?,Pokémon anime has to show what the games don't. This episode did it, the skin change, the rituals.

But I still have problems on how is this going to be handled, please Im begging I just want two things:

1-Nice battles, Dragonite can be a good Pokémon to use in that aspect
2-My freaking Team Rocket back, can atleast have an episode for them, In Sun and Moon at this point we already had two episodes for them, please I need them.

Episode 12 is the turning point, now or never boys. We need an objective, a point, what the heck is that Dragonite for? Giving Free hugs to people? or to battle?.

DO SOMETHING WITH THAT CUTE DRAGON. Don't make me hate it please.

Also remember how when they were capturing strong Pokémon they always had a plan, a mecha or something to counterattack their objective (Mecha Zapdos,holes, the balloon) Now its just throwing cages or nets and throwing a random pokémon that they're as equally dumb as they're big, they're really boring. Atleast in DP they were doing silly things like stealing treasures or stealing food , but it was for survival (Penniless Team Rocket is best Team Rocket) Now I can see them stealing cheese again like they did in Kalos.
The issue is that even their subplots have not been getting enough screen time. Like today, we mostly had to infer their plan by a few seconds of footage, after the plan had already been enacted! I agree that the Gachat doesn't help, but the end thing could have been their Plan C and we wouldn't even know what Plans A&B were because they weren't shown for long enough to include those details. Btw, didn't Nyasu mention last time that they were out of money? I think that is very much going to be an issue again this series.

Also the poster lied to us, mommy Dragonite was for them.
I'm sorry to say that we must take the blame for this: the poster promised us nothing. You never know, Satoshi's Kairyu may yet take a shining to Nyasu, that would be a super fun subplot actually especially if it led to more twerp/TRio shenanigans!

The voice actors said sometime before the series that TRio's characters will be expanded upon, more backstory explored etc. So far, we've had neither happen... if anything, that lootbox and the way they are portrayed so far diminishes their characters. It kinda feels like a 180 from their XY/SM characterization.
I am hopeful for all these things too, but I think you're jumping the gun a bit here.

First of all, Megumi never said that their backstories will be expanded on, she said that was her hope for the series as it is less restricted by the linear flow of the games. She also said she hoped they'd appear more later in the series than they are at the beginning, interpret that how you will...

I don't like the Gachat and I certainly feel that the TRio will be diminished without any of their own Pokemon, but I remain hopeful that they will make their own captures (or the very slim possibility to reunite with some of the HQ'd mons, continuity-focus depending) down the line.

Also, how have their PM appearances felt like a 180 from previous characterisations? BW was a 180 from DP, no questions asked. But for starters, XY vs SM characterisations were pretty different anyway (they were still recovering from their lobotomy in XY) and even though they've had about 10 minutes screentime in 10 episodes, they have still managed to remain true to form, including even Sonansu who got to butt his face into Nyasu's shot!! Do you have any explanation for that statement other than that you hate the Gachat and the potential damage it could do?

Finally, we are only 10 episodes in. Even in series when the TRio have appeared in most or all episodes they've rarely done anything worthwhile by this point. They normally haven't even had an episode to themselves by this point! (With the exception of AG when they released Arbok and Matadogas). The first TRio episode in SM for comparison was SM 12, prior to which there were a lot of complaints that their appearances had been formulaic and pointless. There is a helluva lot of time for development and change. I'm fully expecting them to get a focus episode by PM 15. If it hasn't happened by PM 20 I will join you in being worried.

The issue is that even their subplots have not been getting enough screen time. Like today, we mostly had to infer their plan by a few seconds of footage, after the plan had already been enacted! I agree that the Gachat doesn't help, but the end thing could have been their Plan C and we wouldn't even know what Plans A&B were because they weren't shown for long enough to include those details. Btw, didn't Nyasu mention last time that they were out of money? I think that is very much going to be an issue again this series.

Exactly, In DP they would have made a plan for the Dragonites, show it how they reached that place. And showed the capture of the Dragonite. This is the problem with this series Team Rocket are just something that could have been easily replaced for example by a storm or a wild Pokémon.

Also about the money thing it's true he said that. But they live in the headquarters I supose. That is not being explained. In DP and AG they were vagabonds (Who steal buy machines) and Giovanni didnt even care about them. Why he is not giving money to them now? He is giving that machine (I hate that machine) but not money?.

Also what the heck they were in a rafter.

I'm sorry to say that we must take the blame for this: the poster promised us nothing. You never know, Satoshi's Kairyu may yet take a shining to Nyasu, that would be a super fun subplot actually especially if it led to more twerp/TRio shenanigans!

Maybe it does, maybe it's Dragonite who steals Meowth.

Also note to self: Don't trust posters

I am hopeful for all these things too, but I think you're jumping the gun a bit here.

First of all, Megumi never said that their backstories will be expanded on, she said that was her hope for the series as it is less restricted by the linear flow of the games. She also said she hoped they'd appear more later in the series than they are at the beginning, interpret that how you will...

I don't like the Gachat and I certainly feel that the TRio will be diminished without any of their own Pokemon, but I remain hopeful that they will make their own captures (or the very slim possibility to reunite with some of the HQ'd mons, continuity-focus depending) down the line.

Also, how have their PM appearances felt like a 180 from previous characterisations? BW was a 180 from DP, no questions asked. But for starters, XY vs SM characterisations were pretty different anyway (they were still recovering from their lobotomy in XY) and even though they've had about 10 minutes screentime in 10 episodes, they have still managed to remain true to form, including even Sonansu who got to butt his face into Nyasu's shot!! Do you have any explanation for that statement other than that you hate the Gachat and the potential damage it could do?

Finally, we are only 10 episodes in. Even in series when the TRio have appeared in most or all episodes they've rarely done anything worthwhile by this point. They normally haven't even had an episode to themselves by this point! (With the exception of AG when they released Arbok and Matadogas). The first TRio episode in SM for comparison was SM 12, prior to which there were a lot of complaints that their appearances had been formulaic and pointless. There is a helluva lot of time for development and change. I'm fully expecting them to get a focus episode by PM 15. If it hasn't happened by PM 20 I will join you in being worried.

My idea was to put a list of the first episode of every series that Team Rocket was the main plot, but what we consider that?

For example for me SM 03 was a Team Rocket episode since not only was his introduction in Alola, also was the hint of his first Alola mon (Team Rocket having mons of their own remember that?) .

Well let's see what a Team Rocket centered episode can be made without any mons. (Unless Wobuffet is falling in love again)

Trio in XY were dull, but his episodes (Inkay,Wobuffet,Gourgeist) were awesome.

It's nice to see that Ash finally caught a Dragonite just hope that. He actually uses it on a regular basis and trains it instead of just letting it do whatever it wants.

Watching the subs, guess we can be grateful that Go wasted all those Poke Balls on Dewgong which meant he had none to catch the Dragonite line, allowing Ash to catch one

Also about the money thing it's true he said that. But they live in the headquarters I supose. That is not being explained. In DP and AG they were vagabonds (Who steal buy machines) and Giovanni didnt even care about them. Why he is not giving money to them now? He is giving that machine (I hate that machine) but not money?.
Do they live in headquarters? Where are they getting any money from? We have no idea. Hopefully we're gonna find out soon something about what's going on with them since their return to Kanto.

My idea was to put a list of the first episode of every series that Team Rocket was the main plot, but what we consider that?

For example for me SM 03 was a Team Rocket episode since not only was his introduction in Alola, also was the hint of his first Alola mon (Team Rocket having mons of their own remember that?) .

Well let's see what a Team Rocket centered episode can be made without any mons. (Unless Wobuffet is falling in love again)
For me it's very simple, they have to actually be the stars of the episode. So SM 3 doesn't count, yeah they were in it and it was their first episode and introduced Mimi and Kiterumama but the episode was about many things including RotomDex and Satoshi's first attempts to catch Pokemon in Alola. Therefore my list:
- EP048
- AG006
- DP054
- BW Never
- XY054
- SM012

I suspect other people's lists would not be so stringent :p

I think a TRio centred episode without them having Pokemon will have to be about their characters in human dilemmas or else backstory filling stuff. Think EP048 or DP117.

Ash got dragonote. It is unblievable and i cannot imagine this thing at all. I just saw it baw few minutes or seconds also.

Do they live in headquarters? Where are they getting any money from? We have no idea. Hopefully we're gonna find out soon something about what's going on with them since their return to Kanto.

Not stated, we dont know nothing behind the scenes, in SM they were at Bewears and in other series they were roaming and stalking.

For me it's very simple, they have to actually be the stars of the episode. So SM 3 doesn't count, yeah they were in it and it was their first episode and introduced Mimi and Kiterumama but the episode was about many things including RotomDex and Satoshi's first attempts to catch Pokemon in Alola. Therefore my list:
- EP048
- AG006
- DP054
- BW Never
- XY054
- SM012

I suspect other people's lists would not be so stringent :p

I think a TRio centred episode without them having Pokemon will have to be about their characters in human dilemmas or else backstory filling stuff. Think EP048 or DP117.

I consider that to be and episode where they're one of the focus, not just the enemies of the day. I consider SM 3 to be his intro. I also consider his Team vs Team episodes to be part of it, Operation Tempest, or the episodes where they disguise as Ash and Serena (Which is also a Clemont episode...) also I like those episodes where they simply steal the show (Litwick mansion,Drampa,Manectric episode in Sinnoh). We could be all day and I guess we should be in another thread

What Im worried about is the characteritzation, it reminds me of the Mirror World episode, they were there with no reason and poor explanation ,this is how I feel so far.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom