• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN011: Koharu, Wanpachi, and Sometimes Gangar Too

:bulbaLove:- Pros:
  • I generally didn't think much of Koharu other than the fact that she was unnecessarily cold and dismissive (this episode finally gives us an insight as to why, showing us her subconscious desire to not have expectations due to family thrown upon her) but regardless of all that, I really wanted more of her character to be developed earlier instead of being shafted thanks to all the spotlight being on Gou. I absolutely enjoyed this episode for the slice-of-life angle, Koharu's relation with Yamper, the insight into Koharu and her family, the heart to heart talk with her mother and giving us some backstory for Professor Quest Giver.
  • I liked the segments with all the Pokemon being featured at the beginning (although most of the those Pokemon are dull as cardboard and pretty much soulless). I really doubt we'll see much off them in the future without either excluding most of the Pokemon, by rushing those scenes or making them redundant and boring. I do hope that neither Ash or Gou capture that Gengar though (as much as Ash needs his first Ghost type Pokemon), it should be Koharu's first catch given how much of a polar opposite it seems compared to her.
  • Speaking of Koharu and her lack of a goal, I'm glad that her issues weren't straight up resolved in a single episode and instead, they planted small seeds of where her character arc might take her (even if it's not clear at the moment). Granted, whatever she chooses to do would absolutely have to do with Pokemon, non-Pokemon goals in this anime just wouldn't work and would be mundane. Here's hoping she's not shafted in the future.
:bulbaFacepalm: - Cons:
  • I kind of dislike how often the episode kept cutting back to Ash and Pikachu, and excessive screentime being given to Pikachu battling Gengar. Usually I wouldn't mind this, but that screentime could have been given to Koharu and Yamper's battle with the purple menace (instead of it resulting in a magical overpowering of Shadow Ball and oneshotting Gengar out), as well as developing her character a bit more. Not a major issue, just jarring when you take the entire thing into consideration. Not to mention Gou sticking to his "throw-a-ball" routine instead of actually battling and weakening it. Makes the entire aspect of them "competing to capture Gengar" really stupid given it was only Ash and Pikachu who were putting an active effort in doing so.
:confused: - Extra:
  • So Koharu likes to have her hair in braids, eh? I wonder if this particular point will factor in the long run with her character development (kinda like Serena's own hair). I genuinely hope it does, and it's not some random cosmetic trait they decided to throw in because of her character design.
  • That first scene with all the Pokemon makes it about high time that Ash starts rotating his older Pokemon and have them live occasionally with him at the lab. Even more so when you consider that the next few episodes indicate that the level of competition will be increasing, for him and his path.
  • I legitimately laughed at all three Wurmple evolving into Cascoon and hope this is a recurring gag to frustrate Gou (and not just exclusive to Wurmple either, but other split evolutionary lines as well). It's about time the boy has some setbacks, this is the first episode since ages where no Gou capture has happened (followed by Aicholtz's obligatory annoying voice acting). Though Gou not wanting all three to be Cascoon highlights a problem with his character, even Jessie was ecstatic about Dustox despite not getting a Beautifly like she in initially wanted.
Verdict: Another decent episode with a slice-of-life focus (kind of?) on a character who was shafted so far, a 7/10 from me. Things are finally looking up, I'll keep my fingers crossed though.

Last edited:
That first scene with all the Pokemon makes it about high time that Ash starts rotating his older Pokemon and have them live occasionally with him at the lab. Even more so when you consider that the next few episodes indicate that the level of competition will be increasing, for him and his path.
Plus it's not fair to keep so many older Pokémon from their free Dragonite hugs.

Go evolving his Wrumple is starting to make me reverse my "evolution does not exist in Gen 8 anime" thoughts..

"evolution does not exist in Gen 8 anime"

Not sure how one would come to a conclusion like this one in the first place, considering the first episode showed Ash's Pikachu evolving from a Pichu, the third episode was all about the Bulbasaur line (specifically Ivysaur) evolving and previous episode partially focused on Dragonair's evolution and why it is so drastically different from it and Dratini.

I still don't quite get it. That Koharu was confirmed to be only 10 years old. Of course, she's not supposed to know what she's gonna do later because children at that age simply don't care about that question yet. Most of them probably just want to play and have fun. Yes, we all know the Anime is totally inconsistent when it comes to age (or are we still supposed to believe Ash is still 10 years old after 23 years?)
Frankly, I don't get it why they have her suffer from such a depression. Let her enjoy her childhood and if she's not ready to become a Pokemon trainer, then simply let her decide later.
So, instead of dealing with her (unnecessary) problems I personally would have preferred if the episode had focused on Gengar more.

So, instead of dealing with her (unnecessary) problems I personally would have preferred if the episode had focused on Gengar more.[/SIZE]
This is the Pokemon world, where kids have a choice to leave home and do whatever they want with Pokemon. I'm guessing that those who choose to stay in school are looked down upon and need to prove themselves in other ways. It's even worse for the daughter of a professor.

I liked the Gengar segment, but Koharu's struggle was easily the highlight.

So, finally got the chance to watch the episode and... it was alright, I guess, though also kind of disappointing in some places.

To start off with the good stuff, they finally gave Koharu some focus and some more character. Not only that, but we also got to see why she's not that enthusiastic about Pokémon: since everyone else around her thinks that she must love Pokémon just because she's the daughter of a Pokémon Professor. Now all that's left is for her to appear more frequently and for this plotline about her discovering what she wants to become to be pursued and go somewhere and we'll be all set for an interesting character arc. Moving on, it was nice to finally see more of her family and that scene where Sakuragi encouraged his wife to not give up her passion for drawing, which led to her becoming an illustrator and enjoying it was pretty sweet. Also, just as sweet was the ending, where Koharu has started to open up more towards Yamper, to the point that it now sleeps next to her on her bed instead of sleeping in a dog bed on the floor. Hopefully this leads to a character arc where Koharu starts to be more open towards Pokémon and maybe even considers the idea of pursuing a career that involves Pokémon. And, from the looks of it, Gengar's gonna become a recurring character? Well, hopefully, he and Koharu will get along as the series progresses and, who knows, maybe she'll even catch it (because, let's be serious, if anyone should catch it, it should be her, since Go doesn't deserve such a Pokémon and Ash doesn't have a reason to catch it).

Now, as for the more disappointing stuff. Starting off, the biggest problem of the episode is that it focuses way to much on Ash and Go fighting/trying to catch Gengar. I get that it was all to set up Koharu's confrontation with it, but the boys had way too many drawn-out skirmishes with Gengar, which, coupled with how long it took for Koharu to command Yamper to use Spark and how it managed to one-shot Gengar (despite it being built up to be this very powerful threat), made the climax of the episode feel rushed. Also, when are they gonna give up on the whole "Go tosses Poké Balls at Pokémon" and have him battle them instead? Isn't he supposed to be smart enough to realize that it would be more advantageous to actually fight and weaken a Pokémon instead of just chucking a bunch of balls at it even when it proves to be very ineffective? Speaking of Go, that scene where his Wurmple evolved further illustrates the big problem regarding Go, his goal and the treatment of his Pokémon. As soon as they evolved and Go was shown to be completely disappointed that none of them evolved into a Silcoon, their "reaction" was to run towards him and cuddle him. Really? Remember when, in the past, a trainer being disappointed in regards with their Pokémon's evolution/appearance would lead to that Pokémon abandoning its trainer or towards the trainer and the Pokémon having to go through a character arc where the trainer learns that there's more to a Pokémon than its species? Well, forget about that, because Go is an outstanding trainer beloved by everyone around him and his Pokémon aren't allowed to have any negative emotions towards him (or any personality that's deeper than just "I'm friendly and I like Go", for that matter). Also, I'm really not a fan of Silcoon/Cascoon's slight redesign and how it always has "spikes" now, instead of the "spikes" appearing only when it attacks (like in the games). Mimey's stupid faces are as stupid and eye-rolling as before. Shadow Ball's new animation is... very underwhelming compared to its previous, more iconic one. Koharu's mom saying that she's only 10 and that it's too early for her to decide on what path she wants to take, while understandable, felt kind of weird, considering most of the 10 year olds we've seen usually go on Pokémon journeys and most of them already know what they want to become (kind of makes the Pokémon world feel a bit more... mundane). And was it just me or was the animation in this episode kind of wonky?

So, all in all, the episode was alright, with the moments that focused on Koharu being the most interesting parts of the episode, while everything else was pretty lackluster and underwhelming. Well, as I said before, here's hoping that they're actually go somewhere with Koharu and her character, since, right now, she feels like a wasted character (by that, I mean that we've already had 11 episode of this series and, outside of this episode and a few parts of the first two, she hasn't done much outside of having some occasional cameos where she does next to nothing).

Finally got around to watching this episode, and overall, I really enjoyed it! I think even more than last week's actually.

By the end of the episode, I felt a lot more connected to Koharu. I think it's nice that she doesn't really know what she wants to do, or how she feels about Pokemon. It kind of reminds me of May with a gym leader for a father. Up until now, I kind of just saw Koharu as a school girl annoyed with Ash and Gou's antics (which is funny enough, if not very one dimensional) but this episode really shed more light on Koharu as a character, which I think is great. Having the school setting was different, and I liked seeing that side of things, since we don't normally in Pokemon. Also, Koharu's mom is awesome! I really, really loved her. And that flashback of her and the professor was just adorable.

Yamper is quickly becoming one of my favorite Galar Pokemon. It's so precious! And reminds me a lot of my dog, who always barks and go crazy either when I leave the house or come back. It was cool to see Koharu's reception to Yamper change over the course of the episode. It'll be interesting to see if this eventually extends to other Pokemon as well.

Also, the lab assistants actually played a role in this episode! How exciting! Still nothing too in depth, but it's much more than they've been doing so far, and I actually felt like they added to the episode, so that was a plus.

Honestly, my biggest criticism of this episode was Ash and Gou's involvement, but for the most part, Gou as a whole. I honestly didn't need to see them going after Gengar...it didn't add all that much to the episode. I actually laughed out loud at the end of the episode when Ash said "the next time we see Gengar, let's compete for it again!" What competition is Ash talking about? He didn't once try to catch it, and Gou did nothing to help out in terms of attacking Gengar. Seriously, that was just ridiculous. Gou just stands there while Gengar is actively attacking them and lets Ash do all of the work? He didn't give Scrobunny a single command except to thaw out Yamper. It's getting super old that his only act is throwing poke balls non stop. I'm glad it's failing more and more often, but honestly, why doesn't he do anything else? Seriously, Koharu commanded Yamper more than Gou did Scorbunny.

At least he has three Cascoon now :sneaky:

I just watched this episode and what do you know, it's the first one in the series I genuinely enjoyed.
It's got that "slice of life" feel I like so much with Koharu in the school, also the battle with Gengar was very dynamic and fun.
It also serves for a much needed exploration of Koharu, which I think is setting up to something since Go said she wasn't always like this.

This ep was a really unique experience. Koharu's character has definitely been developed in this ep and has reached a threshold.
I'm really happy for Yamper :bulbaLove: . Also, the Gengar battle was epic!whoa it really is a tough one. I'm also having an immense satisfaction at the Pokeball being hurled at Gou's face
Rating 4.2/5

Lets Rewiew!!!
Chloe Development was G.O.O.D Chloe's Backstory and Her Mum Confronting Her Then Commanding Yamper To Use Spark Was Good:love:
Gengar Stuff was Weird. They Could have Given Chloe More Screen Time But No Lets Give This Random Gengar Screen Time! Also Spark 1 Shotted Gengar, BS! :mad:
6/10

this episode was great pokemon had posted the episode and it was cute! (im just a pokemon journeys fan)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom