• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN011: Koharu, Wanpachi, and Sometimes Gangar Too

Why does every single character have to be associated with battling by default? The Pokemon world has so many jobs that doesn't necessarily require battling. They can be exciting and fulfilling just as much as battling. Maybe it won't be as stimulating and sensational for the viewers but they could offer a good character development story that's enjoyable nonetheless. We've had plenty of battle-focused characters for 20 years. It would be so interesting and refreshing to see someone who's story arc doesn't revolve around battling. I'd like to see perspectives of the pokemon world from people who don't battle, whether they work with pokemon or not. It gives so much more background information about the pokemon world itself and the people who live in it compared to when the media just shows restricted viewpoints from just trainers.

Come to think of it, Koharu's mom might draw Pokemon for all we know. The point was that she changed her path (barely) and it was her decision, even though her future husband helped her stay motivated (he actually wanted her to keep drawing manga). It would be weird if she didn't draw Pokemon at all.

It would be so interesting and refreshing to see someone who's story arc doesn't revolve around battling.
I disagree about the refreshing part after Serena, Lillie and Mallow. It could be interesting depending on the exact goal and execution.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks I am will be more than satisfied if they just somehow for this series transfer ash's Pokémon at oaks lab to sakraugi institute ?

So Wacom tablet, iPad Pro, and Apple Pen also exist in the Pokemon World. LOL
I'd rather attend school in Alola than endure a traditional classroom setting in Vermillion city.

So Wacom tablet, iPad Pro, and Apple Pen also exist in the Pokemon World. LOL
I'd rather attend school in Alola than endure a traditional classroom setting in Vermillion city.
Is Vermillion City’s school the only traditional type we’ve seen in the entire anime because in all the schools we’ve seen, I can’t think of another so real worldlike.

Is Vermillion City’s school the only traditional type we’ve seen in the entire anime because in all the schools we’ve seen, I can’t think of another so real worldlike.
It was in a non-serial movie and we didn't see much of it, but Risa's school in The Power of Us seemed pretty real-world like.

Am I the only one who thinks I am will be more than satisfied if they just somehow for this series transfer ash's Pokémon at oaks lab to sakraugi institute ?

I have to say I like the little bits in which you see Go's Pokémon (and Dragonite) having their daily routine in the Sagraugi institute Dome. So at the one side I wouldn't mind Ash Pokémon are transferred to the Dome. But I wonder if it wouldn't be to much. Although I guess the Dome is as big as it have to be at any moment. The prof knows about Go's goal of catching them all so maybe he already has expansion plans. It would be nice though if there first is an episode in which it becomes clear the Dome is becoming too small before their is a sollution. I think it would be funny. And maybe Go could (temporarily) send some of his pokémon to Oak's lab ranch? You can make some nice episodes out of this concept. Maybe even with Go questionning his goal of catching them all. But off course he will come to the conclusion if he has love for his pokémon and more room (and a budget) it's still his goal.

Also, I think at least Ash 30 Tauros are beter off at the ranch. A lot more running room. ;) But some of the others, I would like it.

Yeah I kinda wish they had made that school less real world-looking (the garden is really nice though), I wonder if they did that to emphasize Koharu's lack of interest in Pokemon.

Yeah I kinda wish they had made that school less real world-looking (the garden is really nice though), I wonder if they did that to emphasize Koharu's lack of interest in Pokemon.
Kinda seems like an odd choice to make at this point in the series when the world’s been pretty established. Like maybe if it had been a new region or even a place like Fiore which doesn’t have trainers it’d make more sense but it feels like an odd fit for Kanto.

Koharu's mum is an icon. A working woman who supports her daughter unconditionally, and was quite clear that she (and not her famous, successful husband) determined her future? More of her please.

All the Koharu/Sakuragi family hijinks scenes were insightful and added value. The episode would have been even better if Matsui hadn't had to shoehorn in so much screen time for Satoshi and Go in the first half of the episode.

I'm still bitter that Go is getting multiple Mayuld/Dokucale. Excuse me but that is Musashi's baby. (Also, do you know how many fucking Wurmples I caught recently in AS to evolve ONE Cascoon?!)

When you look at this episode by judging the main plot, it was good. Gengar is an evergreen Pokemon that never becomes boring and they did a great job showing why Gengar deserves the title "one of the creepiest (and strongest) Ghost-type Pokemon" Would have loved if Ash had caught it! But by the looks of things, Gengar will become a recurring Pokemon. It reminds me of Gible in DPPt who kept coming back until Ash finally caught it. Yes, that idea sounds interesting!

As for Koharu ... not sure if I will ever like her. Why is she there in the first place? Just to bore us with her lack of interest in anything? Come on girl, go and share your problems and melancholia with somebody else! So far she's only been a waste of screentime that is getting the audience down.

I'm already starting to feel pretty nervous because of next week's episode. They can ruin the whole series, or what's even worse, the whole Anime for me. So, the writers better a have very, VERY good reason why they decided not to have Cynthia in the World Championship finals, or else....

The reason is pretty simple.

Lance is someone the viewers parents might remember, while Cynthia isn’t.

Ooooh, if the champions from previous regions are going to appear, then maybe Steven will come back :bulbaLove: With his shiny Metagross.

It would be so interesting if he came for business reasons. From what I understand, Galar's economy is, ah, flourishing.

But by the looks of things, Gengar will become a recurring Pokemon. It reminds me of Gible in DPPt who kept coming back until Ash finally caught it. Yes, that idea sounds interesting!
The Gible example doesn't really work since it was caught in the episode right after its debut. This time, both Go and Ash are interested in Gengar, but Koharu was the one that defeated it. Surely it will come back for her rather than the other two, and I have my doubts that anyone will catch it.

Well, that Gengar seems to haunt Sakuragi's lab after this episode. And it is way too strong for Koharu & Yamper right now. I can see her getting it after she & Yamper become stronger.

But right now, Ash is the most likely to catch it because he's the most experienced Trainer in the lab.

Well, that Gengar seems to haunt Sakuragi's lab after this episode. And it is way too strong for Koharu & Yamper right now. I can see her getting it after she & Yamper become stronger.

But right now, Ash is the most likely to catch it because he's the most experienced Trainer in the lab.
Personally, I don’t think Ash will catch it if it gets caught at all. If it does, I could see Koharu being the one to do it since, at this point, it’s tied to her character growth. What better way to cap that off down the line then by having her defeat and/or capture it once and for all?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom