• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN013: Satoshi VS Dande! The Road to the Strongest!!

When he takes part in this tournament, instead of just relying on his current team, he'd call Oak for his reserves like he did in Johto and Sinnoh
Ok but what about first step what did he met by that he won alolha that the first step wasn’t and still no mentioning to Leon about his championship of aloha so weird

Ok but what about first step what did he met by that he won alolha that the first step wasn’t and still no mentioning to Leon about his championship of aloha so weird

Maybe this world championship is something different, he could use it to join the championship but he'd have to battle all the other trainers like everyone else

Rocket Dex: "Chewtle evolves into Drednaw. What a shocker, innit?"

Team Rocket sure got a sassy Rotom for their phone, didn't they?

Reminds me of a certain Pokedex that once insulted Ash

''It also comes out into open fields to steal food from stupid travelers''

Maybe this world championship is something different, he could use it to join the championship but he'd have to battle all the other trainers like everyone else

Reminds me of a certain Pokedex that once insulted Ash

''It also comes out into open fields to steal food from stupid travelers''
so winning championship isnt the first step of his goal?
why he wont tell anyone about this cahmpion leage he won everyone in alolha knows but why not tell GO and you think he will catch GENGAR

I'm pretty surprised that winning Leon (and World Championship) is just the "first step" to be a Pokemon Master.

So what were all the Leagues?

So let's reflect on how we know the world championship works. The championship is a tourney amongst the top 8 trainers in the world. Only way to reach the top up is to climb up the pokeball tiers similar to battle stadium. And so far Leon is #1, and since Lance was in the finals that makes him #2. So Ash's goal is to climb the world rankings and reach Leon. So, who can we guess is amongst the top 8 in all the world? Note I don't think past champs are necessarily in the list. Sounds too obvious.

Considering that the tournament goes far beyond the Master Class, the question isn't very important right now. I don't think that we know anyone who would make more sense than the six champions, though. The writers probably don't even remember Tobias because he was just a plot device.

So with Ash aiming for the World Championship, does that confirm he's not going doing the Galar Gym Challenge?

My guess is he'll battle the Galar Gym Leaders as part of the ranking system but they won't be Gym matches (them being Gym leaders will probably be mentioned though).

That's what I'm saying, yes. He might still fight the Gym Leaders, but it won't be as part of the Gym Challenge.

I liked the episode.
Finally Ash has a goal. And even if he wins, remember. It is very easy to create new realities. You can even send him to fight in other planets if you feel like it. There is no limits about what you can do with Pokémon.
Just think about saying to someone when they played red in 1998 that is charizard will grow giant. Or in 2003 to someone that plays emerald that his glalie will mega evolve with a special stone.
You never know.
It's easy to reinvent a story. But very hard to do it well. However, after the stumble this series was (2019) and how it's turning out to be, I think we can have hope.

im curious how many battles ash to win to enter against the champion? i didn't understand the rules from GO
i wonder what happens to that little turtle water/rock pokemon from team rocket if they did keep it who will be the trainer James or jessie

im curious how many battles ash to win to enter against the champion? i didn't understand the rules from GO
i wonder what happens to that little turtle water/rock pokemon from team rocket if they did keep it who will be the trainer James or jessie
Trainers who have signed up for the competition are ranked based on their win/lose ratio and the "contents of their battles" (which I'm guessing involves the number of battles they've participated in and the rankings of the trainers that they've beaten). In order to battle Leon, Ash has to raise his rank until he enters the Master Class (Top 8). There's no concrete number of battles that Ash has to complete in order to reach there (unlike the regular Gym challenges from the past, where Ash only needed to get 8 badges in each region), so it's all up to the writers.

I'm betting the Chewtle will go to James since his Pokemon has a habit of hurting him (eg. Victreebel, Cacnea, Mareanie). Sure, its bite doesn't hurt now, but once the Chewtle evolves, it'll definitely start to hurt a lot.

Trainers who have signed up for the competition are ranked based on their win/lose ratio and the "contents of their battles" (which I'm guessing involves the number of battles they've participated in and the rankings of the trainers that they've beaten).
I scanned Serebii and saw that one of the users translated that line as "difficulty of your battle" which makes a bit more sense than "contents of the battle" when the user then gives an example of a trainer steam rolling Magikarp to artificially inflate the win/lose ratio.

I scanned Serebii and saw that one of the users translated that line as "difficulty of your battle" which makes a bit more sense than "contents of the battle" when the user then gives an example of a trainer steam rolling Magikarp to artificially inflate the win/lose ratio.
That makes a lot more sense but, unlike win/lose ratio, there's no objective method of measuring the "difficulty" of a battle other than by using the difference between the rankings of both trainers in a battle. You can't accurately calculate the "power level" of Pokemon, after all.

WOW, this episode! Just a quick rundown of what I felt all its pros were:

-Ash finally getting an actual goal
-Gigantamax Pikachu
-Cool battle with Leon
-Leon in general
-Team Rocket finally catching their own Pokémon and not using the gatcha machine

Honestly, for the first time this series, I felt like I was watching Pokemon and not some weird imitation of it. I was fully invested in what was going on and didn't look away for a second.

Ash's goal sounds great! I would've been fine with a badge quest, since we had a break from it, but I do like this fresh take on a goal. I will be interested to see who exactly Ash has to battle. I'm hopeful it'll be more established characters than COTDs.

I do, however, have one criticism. I really feel like the writers have got to be a little more careful with Gou. I don't dislike him as a character, and I understand what his shortcomings are...in fact, I'm glad the writers are incorporating that a little more. Unfortunately, because of what those traits are, they walk a fine line of making Gou either a sympathetic character or a grating one. This episode was the latter. They really could've toned him down a bit here. A majority of his dialogue came across as snarky, and it was the only thing that took the episode down for me. Well, that and him making yet another capture. Literally no reason for that in an Ash focused episode. Gou has had plenty of episodes focused on him, and he'll have plenty more. That weak, random capture was completely unnecessary.

The last couple of episodes were really a great turnaround for this series in my own opinion. I'm much more excited about its potential now. I know there are still going to be plenty of clunkers along the way (next week's looking like one, tbh) but it's nice to not have the feeling that the whole series is going to be like that.

Well, that and him making yet another capture. Literally no reason for that in an Ash focused episode. Gou has had plenty of episodes focused on him, and he'll have plenty more. That weak, random capture was completely unnecessary.
I don't think Gou catching that Skwovet detracted from the focus on Ash at all. If anything, it served to emphasize how zoned out Ash was due to being awestruck by the events that happened yesterday. I'm still a bit annoyed by how easily Gou is catching Pokemon without having to battle them, but considering that it was basically Galar's weak early-game rodent, I'll let it slide. Plus, at the very least, Gou won't be ending his second visit to Galar empty-handed. Just because the past two episodes were more focused on Ash, that doesn't mean Gou can't make a little bit of progress towards his own goal.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom