• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN014: First in the Isshu Region! The Raid Battle at the Ruins!!

Alright, since no one else seems like they want to mention this, I’d like to draw attention to the fact that Go didn’t catch Golurk just to catch Golurk; he caught Golurk to SAVE ITS LIFE. The thing couldn’t transform out of cannon mode and was about to fall through the floor and most likely die (or break into a million pieces...which would also count as death), and Go quickly threw the ball to help save it. Heck, he even apologized to the others before he did it, because he knew they wanted a chance to catch Golurk to.

And btw, at the end of the episode, Golurk is STILL stuck with its arms and legs tucked in, which probably means that it’s crippled for life and is gonna remain like that for the rest of the series. Its fighting days are over, so Go did NOT get a “free powerhouse.”
Still a little bit salty that Golurk went to Gou instead of Ash, but yeah, I think that's a good enough excuse for Gou to catch it beyond simply filling his Pokedex. Also, if the Golurk really is crippled permanently, then I guess it didn't really matter who caught it anyway since it's just gonna sit in the park for the rest of the series. In fact, giving it to Gou makes sense since it could at least contribute towards his Pokedex count.

Golurk would've been fine - it's already dead, after all
Acerola's Mimikyu proves that Ghost-type Pokemon can still die, as weird as it seems. So no, there's no guarantee that Golurk would've been fine if everyone just let it fall through the crumbling floor like that.

Amid all of the many violent events in this franchise that we've observed, such as planetary bodies being chucked at opponents, opponents being blasted with below-freezing temperatures, people and Pokemon alike suffering 100,000 volts of electricity, being submerged by deluges of pressurized water, thrown/collided into at breakneck speeds, people and Pokemon being scorched by Flamethrowers, absolute beatdowns via a myriad of physical moves, suffering from toxins courtesy of Poison-type moves, being internally imbalanced by spectral moves, being devastated by significant attacks such a Z-Moves and Dynamax Moves, enduring literal explosions, people and Pokemon being attacked by combinations of moves, etc. etc. (from which 99.9% of the recipients ultimately end up unscathed when all is said and done), there are people who believe that Golurk would have suffered some irreparable damage via falling; it baffles me.

opponents being blasted with below-freezing temperatures
We've seen a Pokemon die from that before.
people and Pokemon being scorched by Flamethrowers/enduring literal explosions
We've seen a Pokemon die from that, too.
there are people who believe that Golurk would have suffered some irreparable damage via falling; it baffles me.
Don't underestimate fall damage. If anime and video games taught me anything, it's that fall damage can be deadly when the plot calls for it. Especially when crumbling floors are involved.

I'm not saying that Golurk is absolutely gonna suffer irreparable damage if it fell, I'm just saying that it presents a believable-enough risk that Gou attempting to save it is a plausible reason for capturing it.

Amid all of the many violent events in this franchise that we've observed, such as planetary bodies being chucked at opponents, opponents being blasted with below-freezing temperatures, people and Pokemon alike suffering 100,000 volts of electricity, being submerged by deluges of pressurized water, thrown/collided into at breakneck speeds, people and Pokemon being scorched by Flamethrowers, absolute beatdowns via a myriad of physical moves, suffering from toxins courtesy of Poison-type moves, being internally imbalanced by spectral moves, being devastated by significant attacks such a Z-Moves and Dynamax Moves, enduring literal explosions, people and Pokemon being attacked by combinations of moves, etc. etc. (from which 99.9% of the recipients ultimately end up unscathed when all is said and done), there are people who believe that Golurk would have suffered some irreparable damage via falling; it baffles me.

Fine, I admit I may have exaggerated...but even if Golurk survived, it would’ve remained trapped in that dark recesses of that temple for the rest of eternity, because it was already too damaged to change out of cannon mode. Surely, being in Sakuragi Park, surrounded by a bunch of other Pokémon is a much better fate, right?

And even discounting THAT, what really matters in my theory is that Go didn’t throw the Poké Ball and catch Golurk just to fill another spot in his Dex or because he wanted to mooch off of everyone else’s work (even though frankly, even Ash and Dragonite, who did the most, didn’t do that much damage until the final attack, which involved Go as well). He did it for a noble reason.

Last edited:
Oof, I spoke too fast when I said I liked Gou from the start because he reminds me of Shootie/Trip with his awkward, high-handedness, but he seems written in a way that’ll make him more likeable to other people, huh...

Satoshi and Gou said no hard feelings whoever catches it. It’s not like he cruelly stole the catch, you guys, please don’t blame fictional characters for writing decisions, he just caught a Pokemon...

I do agree, though, that that city feels nothing like Unova, especially the crowd scenes with all of those non-Unovan Pokemon when BW! was careful to only depict Unovan Pokemon except in places like Decolora where others exist. Then again, it has been a while (despite comic book time) and just like how there’s ongoing construction and scenery changes in the Fushigisou/Ivysaur ep and the fact that we didn’t get to see the Desert Resort before, I’ll accept it!

-copies and pastes rest of thoughts-

It was very Black Hero's Ruins. I loved the sight gags (they were very reminiscent of Kanto/OS), the chibi were cute and funny too, and the animation and art was quite stylish, which made the battle more flashy and dramatic even though I'm not personally a fan of Pokemon battles...

Seeing Golurk's cannon form in the anime too was really cool!!

Gou and Satoshi/Ash have a very natural dynamic as friends, I loved the faces they made at each other after they heard about the switches, also Gou telling Satoshi he didn't have to pretend if he actually didn't enjoy something. Gou's concerned shout when Satoshi fell also felt heartwarming... ;3;

I liked the little advert for Yorterry/Lillipup snacks after the piece about the Resort Desert!

Anyway, everything from the friendship stories, the visual humour (funny, toony, but not gross-out or obnoxiously overdone), environmental themes, great animation, and endearing characters! Being able to travel around also brought back the sense of adventure, this is definitely a Pokemon series I can enjoy. ;3;

F62E1486-B14F-473B-9CDA-6131BC11E46B.jpeg

A4878B55-A8E5-492C-8AD6-74C30FF0DD50.jpeg

Also, that man calling his Litwick a guiding light and its flame glowing brighter and larger, UM... whose lifeforce is that.......

Last edited:
I do agree, though, that that city feels nothing like Unova, especially the crowd scenes with all of those non-Unovan Pokemon when BW! was careful to only depict Unovan Pokemon except in places like Decolora where others exist. Then again, it has been a while (despite comic book time) and just like how there’s ongoing construction and scenery changes in the Fushigisou/Ivysaur ep and the fact that we didn’t get to see the Desert Resort before, I’ll accept it!
Interesting fact: aside from Pikachu and Scorbunny, all the Pokémon in this episode can be obtained in Unova one way or another.

...Oh right, people still think continuity is a thing

Okay, to try and quell this stupid misconception once and for all (not that people would actually stop, if the recent "the new series is a reboot" thread is of any indication), yes, continuity is actually a thing. All of the series up 'till now (including the current one) have nods and references to the past and, sometimes, they even have one of the past companions come back.

What is the proof towards continuity being a thing, you may ask? Well:
Tl;dr - all of the series have references to events that happened in the previous ones or some kind of continuity nods that help connect them the ones that came before and to deny that is to deny irrefutable facts, as shown by this very extensive list I've just made above that kept me so busy that I haven't even gotten to play GW2 today.

Tl;dr - all of the series have references to events that happened in the previous ones or some kind of continuity nods that help connect them the ones that came before and to deny that is to deny irrefutable facts, as shown by this very extensive list I've just made above that kept me so busy that I haven't even gotten to play GW2 today.
You have my deepest sympathies for wasting your time typing all that irrelevant information - all we know is that Lance is a G-Man (What are they? What do they do? Where are they stationed? Has Ash met them before? When did he do that in the previous 11 episodes?) and he has a gyarados, just like his game team, similar to how Steven has Metagross, Cynthia has Garchomp, and Diantha has Gardevoir

There's also nothing connecting the Pichu to Ash's Pikachu, since their personalities are completely different

I thought the mistake was due to Ash forgetting Golurk was ground/ghost instead of rock/ghost.

To be fair, even I thought Golurk was Rock/Ghost instead of Ground/Ghost. I'm pretty sure many people made that mistake because of Golurk's appearance (same with Lucario not even coming off as a Steel type). I guess I was a bit harsh about the entire Ground/Electric issue...

tbh, for the longest time i thought Golett line was Steel/Ghost.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom