• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN017: Hibanny, Use Your Flaming Kick! Face Tomorrow!!

Great episode and NEVER expected Go's Scorbunny will evolve early. Nonetheless, Team Rocket had not do their introduction pose for the second episode. Also, wondering how Go going to take care of Raboot for disobeying him.

Overall rating: B+

I know people will get some Charmeleon vibes but this is different.

Charmeleon was lazy not a rebel, Raboot seems to hate the world and his trainer

I hope the Chewster stays... Also Go you moron you should have catch Peliper , no Pelliper no gatcha.

Also I dig that Hideout, realy mafioso

Team Rocket didn't need as much screentime as they got. Sure, Chewtle was cute and them getting crammed into the phone booth with Gou was funny, but other than that they added nothing to the episode, instead taking away screentime that could either be used to follow up the zoom-in on Koharu earlier or show more Hibanny training. When the camera zoomed in on her I thought she was going to come back for an encouraging word or at least have something to do with Gou and/or Hibanny's development, but then she didn't appear again and that was that. At least if Raboot is going to be Charmeleon 2.0 Gou brought it on himself. I don't speak Japanese but I got the impression that he made it obvious that he either didn't believe in Hibanny or couldn't give two fecal droppings about the training that obviously meant something to it, and now that it has overcome the issues it was having by evolving it's not going to forget Gou's contemptible lack of care or compassion he showed to it as a Hibanny.

The episode had some good elements and accomplished what it wanted to accomplish well, but Team Rocket really detracted from it this time around.

The Rocket trio got as much screentime as they did because otherwise the episode would've ended with 10 minutes to spare. There just wasn't enough going on with the Hibanny training stuff to carry the whole half hour; I mean, how many more times do we need to see a rabbit trying (and failing) to cough up a fire hairball? I think the amount of training we were shown was just right; not too little to make the whole thing feel rushed, but not too much to make it feel dragged out either.

but other than that they added nothing to the episode,
They were one of the more entertaining parts of the episode imo, otherwise it was going to be pretty dull. Wish I knew Japanese to decipher the dialogue though.
show more Hibanny training.
It was already beginning to get repetitive, as like Dogasu said, it was just trying to cough out a fireball the entire time.

For the entire episode except for the last five minutes, my entire attitude can be summed up as “Poor Scorbunny”. No one except Ash seemed to care for its desire to learn a fire move, and although I can’t speak Japanese, Go was pretty apathetic till Ash gave him some pep talk and he discovered the pebble.

My guess is Raboot would show the rebellious teenager sterotype it’s based on, finally giving Go some much needed conflict.

Chewtle was a pleasant surprise! Nice to see it didn’t disappear after the initial encounter and was latched into Jessie’s hair. I’ve got a feeling it might be made permanent soon. It was my favourite part of the episode.

Overall, an average episode. Finally gives Go some actual conflict, and the evolution still feels rushed to me.
6.5-7/10

Raboot being disobedient might explain why he potentially isn't in the next episode, since Go might not keep it outside its Pokeball anymore and won't let it appear until it really needs to appear (Remember, he pretty much ignored/didn't care about Dewgong until it didn't become disobedient).

I like the new base of TRio.

People can also be happy, Chewtle reappeared. It ended up in the vending machine. (Why didn't James use the Poliwrath again for the rematch?)

And Chewtle appears to be a strong Pokémon too. I'm sure Giovanni was pleased when the TRio took it with them from Galor.

And character development for Go and possible also in future episodes with Go and Reboot.

(Remember, he pretty much ignored/didn't care about Dewgong until it didn't become disobedient).

Was Dewgong really disobedient? Yes, it was selfish when it saw the female Dewgong and ignored Go because of it's own interests. But immediatly after its capture it obeyed Go and he let Go and Ash ride on its back on his way to the island. And when it reappeared after this, it was also obedient. But it has a personality. Just like when Ash's Totodile is distracted when dancing or Ash's Snorlax can be hard to handle when he sees food. But I wouldn't call any of them really disobedient. (I also don't think Go said anything like this but I can be mistaken.)

Last edited:
Was Dewgong really disobedient? Yes, it was selfish when it saw the female Dewgong and ignored Go because of it's own interests. But immediatly after its capture it obeyed Go and he let Go and Ash ride on its back on his way to the island. And when it reappeared after this, it was also obedient. But it has a personality. Just like when Ash's Totodile is distracted when dancing or Ash's Snorlax can be hard to handle when he sees food. But I wouldn't call any of them really disobedient. (I also don't think Go said anything like this but I can be mistaken.)

Yeah. I feel the same. People tend to exagerate the disobedience of Dewgong in that Episode.

That was just a way to show Dewgong could easily be infatuated.

Last edited:
I’m curious will Gou Darmanitan have it’s own page because it shown personality

I don’t think raboot is disobedience it could be more mature personality and it did followed gou commands

I bet that Ember is later going to evolve into Pyro Ball.
Team rocket pepliper should have its own profile page

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom