• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN020: Go Towards Your Dream! Satoshi and Go!!

Great episode better than the last week. Also, never knew that Mew in disguised of Lugia. Now the question is does Mew also disguised Lugia that Ash and Go had ride in previous episode two? We may never know.

Overall rating: B+

This was a decent episode.

The Pros:
The Mew Reveal at the End
The Use of Galar Music During the Battle
Pikachu's Finisher
Gou failing to catch Farfetch'd
Ash moving up in the ranking (1512)

The Cons:
Ash not mentioning Pidgeot
Ash commanding Pikachu to run straight into that Solarbeam

But the best part wasn't the episode, but the previews for the next few episodes.

ARE YOU NOT HYPED!!!!!!

-Riolu all but confirmed to be Ash's partner
-RAIHAN!!!
-Korrina rematch and the return of Megas
-Sobble!
-Possible Marnie appearance?
-Egg hatching scene
-Sonia appearance (and possibly Hop?)
-And Sir, motherfucking Fetched

IT'S CHAMPION TIME!!!

This felt phoned-in to me.

The orienteering premise was flaccid so they shoved a quick battle in the middle of it. Then when that was over, they realised there was no conflict driving the episode so they put Team Rocket in for a quick and dirty finale, complete with gacha bullshit.

So earlier on, Gou told Koharu if he needed to battle to catch a Pokemon, he would. Well, this Farfetch'd was proving elusive. Maybe he could have battled that-- no, wait, he just had to fake it out and catch it normally just like everything else.

Then we got five minutes of redundant reaffirming of Ash's and Gou's goals.

Pretty much everything that irritates me about this series bunched into one episode. The whole thing was a set-up for the clipshow at the end.

The PWC is the only thing this series has going for it. No wonder the majority of those clips focused on that.

I'm conflicted. That was a decent episode and a terrible episode mixed into one. Let's start with terrible side, being that it was extra terrible; Gou's trademarked first Pokeball catches seasoned with Marina Aicholtz shouting bonuses, which was mercifully only a couple of times but still, I'd much prefer none of it. It was garbage when they did it in episode 6 and it was garbage here. I was almost willing to let it slide after the first Farfetch'd encounter because it made seeing him get smashed in the face by the Farfetch'd that much more satisfying, but they couldn't leave it at that and had to repeat it. Gou outsmarting it at the end was an inch in the right direction, but it was still a single Pokeball catch with an Aicholtz bonus, so I can't even give them that. I liked that Koharu was there, but she didn't do anything other than prove that you need more than Koharu to make an episode watchable.

On the other hand, the Ash parts of the episode were decent enough, giving us a nice overhead view of Vermilion City and a pretty good battle against a Meganium. We also got to see Ash have some good interactions with the kids, although I will need subs to know exactly what was being said.

Team Rocket weren't really necessary, existing only to provide a conflict which didn't need to be there and could easily have been excised to give screentime to showing Gou actually battling his catches so his half could have been not awful. I also thought there was a missed opportunity with Koharu, wherein her brother suggests she get involved in the battle (at least I think he said that, I'm not sure what he said) only for Ash and Gou's pokes to get taken out, which I thought would open up a chance for Koharu and Yamper to blow Team Rocket away and reaffirm her apparently latent talent for battle, but alas, Ash and Gou had to do it.

Not the worst episode I've even seen (that's still Ash vs. Hau), but certainly not Shōji Yonemura's best showing, I'm afraid.

Now that I'm reviewing the slideshow at the end again, it looks like Raihan is one of the top 8 trainers in the world according to the silhouettes. That means that the top 8 trainers that we know of are: Leon, Lance, & Raihan. That means that we can probably expect a battle against him in the late-game.

More instant Gou captures and some of them were literally done at 200% sped up animation or still frames without a single capture battle, they were really trying to shove in as many as they could in that short amount of time, weren't they? Thankfully that Farfetch'd gave him some much needed return of karma, I'd hoped it would remain uncaptured since Gou needs at least some setbacks after that much unwarranted, unexplained and undeserved success (and instead of battling it, he caught it out by a cheap and dishonest fake out). That last third of the episode was very rushed and was pretty much a clipshow, especially with the way TRio blasted off in a poorly animated and lame manner.

Speaking of TRio, I thought they'd be cut the slack and not turned into fall guys with a generic 'capture Pikachu' plot, especially not this early after how last week's episode handled them. That PWC battle is one of the few sweet spots of the episode though I'd preferred if it lasted longer, it was too rushed (and had some silly decisions) but the animation for the battle itself was decent. The "Lugia" reappearance and the subsequent Mew reveal didn't really amount to anything, at least not in the episode itself, I was hoping there would be a raid battle where Koharu could participate. I doubt it's the same "Lugia" from episode 2 since that one had a connection with Ash with how he could hear it speak whereas Gou didn't even react to it which he should have if it were Mew. I was hoping for some more development for Koharu but I guess it was not going to be. Overall, the episode was average (subject to change after re-watching with subs) and only reaffirmed how narratively weak Gou's goal and his path to it is, and how the PWC and the journey through/to it will be the driving factor for this series.

Thankfully, next week's episode looks to be amazing. And holy shit, that slide of upcoming/future events... Korrina returning(!) and Mega Evos(!), Sobble being teased(!), Raihan, Morpeko(WRITERS, MAKE IT MARNIE'S), Sirfetch'd(!), Sonia, more intense PWC action(!).

P.S: Deleted the original post due to a brainfart and lapse in concentration, glad I had it saved on Notepad.
Oh yeah, Ash almost lost in this battle. Wondering, which next match Ash might lose?
If he has to lose, it should be to someone stronger than himself or because he's using a weaker Pokemon. Raihan seems like an ideal candidate, I hope he's not just being introduced to job to Leon.

Last edited:
This episode was pretty much exactly what I was expecting it to be: Ash and Go stating their goals for the 58695th time with barely anything going on and a Team Rocket appearance that ends quicker after they show up and one that feels forced and uninteresting.

Ahhh well, at least we have the upcoming stuff to look forward to and the Pikachu/Meganium battle was probably the best part of the episode.

I can give some credit to Ash: he does seem to have some responsibility: AKA he knows that he's supposed to be orientating with children and not necessarily battling. The children he's with are fine with him battling, but nice to have him remember what he is supposed to be doing then and there.

Are you looking for me?
You have obtained a Litwick Egg!
1586628790758.png

The next egg likes to tell stories, and would love to know what you think about them!

Hint 7: It ends on a 5.​

Last edited by a moderator:
So the episode has aired
Go caught a Pidgy, Nidoran(Male), Nidoran(Female), Oddish, Poliwag, Grimer, Ekans and Farfetch’d.

Ash battled that guy with the Meganium and won just as expected it didn’t take as long as I thought it would, the Skarmory and Crobat belonged to Team Rockets, Rocket Gachat thing and like always get demolished.

Ash didn’t catch anything as expected he just scanned Pokemon and the other Pokemon that were confirmed were just wild Pokemon that lived in Vermillion City
I liked the idea of the episode but I wasn’t that good really I guess we’ll see when I can find the actual episode instead of pictures

Last edited:
So the episode has aired
Go caught a Pidgy, Nidoran(Male), Nidoran(Female), Oddish, Poliwag, Grimer, Ekans and Farfetch’d.

Ash battled that guy with the Meganium and won just as expected it didn’t take as long as I thought it would, the Skarmory and Crobat belonged to Team Rockets, Rocket Gachat thing and like always get demolished.

Ash didn’t catch anything as expected he just scanned Pokemon and the other Pokemon that were confirmed were just wild Pokemon that lived in Vermillion City
I liked the idea of the episode but I wasn’t that good really I guess we’ll see when I can find the actual episode instead of pictures
And a regular Raticate has got its Pokedex entry shown, even though the Alolan Raticate's entry was shown first in the Sun and Moon series..

Not a good episode

Just and epsiode to make us remember that Ash battles and Go sucks

Also the RocketGatchat sucks too. Please leave Team Rocket alone until they got Pokemon of their own.

Putting aside my immense hype for future episodes after watching the trailer that just dropped a short while ago, this was a rather average episode. Ash's PWC battle was the main highlight for me, and despite how short the battle was, it was a pretty decent battle. Seeing a Meganium on-screen after its long absence was a nice treat, and while it didn't end up mattering much, I liked that the trainer mentioned that Grass-types resist Electric-type attacks. Ash's ranking seems to have jumped up quite a bit, he's probably only a couple of battles away from Super Class by now.

While I personally had no real issues with the whole Pokemon Orienteering thing in this episode, I do dislike how the writers thought that was a good enough excuse to give Gou plenty of battleless/effortless captures this episode. Look, I know kids are easily impressed by almost anything, but c'mon, seeing Gou constantly catch Pokemon so effortlessly should get old pretty quickly, right? At least that Farfetch'd tried to stop Gou's catching spree, and while I'm not too happy that it still end up being caught battlelessly by the end of this episode, at least Gou put a bit more effort into that capture. Also, it seems like Koharu had something to say about Gou's title as a "Pokemon Trainer", but I'll have to wait for subs to find out more.

The Rocket trio being used as "obligatory conflict for an otherwise conflict-less episode" again made me feel... disappointed, to say the least. At least we got the Mew cameo near the end, which may or may not have been the Lugia that appeared in episode 2. I'm guessing episode 2's Lugia was a legit Lugia, considering that it made a proper appearance in a Raid Battle and stuff.

Felt like lots of different episodes crammed into one, nevertheless it was great stuff to watch.

The battle was great, short- but with great choreography and animation like that, they do not need to be long.

I like that Go just caught a ton of Pokémon too, and it was also interesting to see Yamper want to battle Lugia- TR’s inclusion are the end was a bit rushed...

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom