• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN021: Convey the Wave Guidance! Satoshi and the Mysterious Egg!!

Riolu is trying to (literally) kick Pikachu out of the mascot spot. :wynaut:

On a serious note, the episode was decent overall and finally gave Ash a Pokemon he was bound to by destiny and was denied for so long. It was really surprising when that Riolu turned out to be battle hungry, aggressive and a feisty little guy, which is a stark contrast from the rest of its species/line's cool natured disposition. The episode even confirms a headcanon that I've had over the years that Ash has always subconsciously been leaking undetectable traces of aura when he gets fired up during battle, and we get to visually see it happen this time. The only weak parts of the episode was that rushed battle at the start where we didn't even get an updated ranking for Ash's victory.

P.S: The stream I was watching literally exploded when the egg hatched into Riolu and when Ash caught it.

Last edited:
EVZKm50WkAAZLVF.png

Ten years of fanfiction are finally vindicated

image.jpeg
Happy Easter to one and all,Riolu is finally here! And it's already proving itself to be quite a worthy member of Ash's team.

And Professor Elm got a quick mention too, feel like jumping all over the moon and back.

Very good episode, Matsui is normally good with these type of of development episodes and she didn't disappoint.

Riolu is a bit of a dick at the moment, something I'm not a huge fan of in a character, so I hope it gets an episode that takes it down a peg or two so it can grow into a better character. This series seems to be focusing on character development, so at least that isn't unlikely.

I do hope Ash isn't going to have to have random 40 second PWC battles every episode because that's going to get old quickly. Not as old as Gou getting instant first Pokeball catches with Aicholtz screaming bonuses is or Bewear was last series, but it still won't be ideal, so I hope they regulate it to only sometimes and not every time. Props to giving the guy from Fuchsia City a Tauros though, that was pretty cool. If they are going to do random PWC trainers every episode they'd better at least keep giving them Pokes actually able to be found where they're from.

Other than those points the episode was decent enough, but I suspect it will need subs for me to get the most out of it, or at least a source that doesn't freeze as much as the one I watched it on today did.

The prophecy has been fulfilled.

What's next for Ash? Larvitar? Hippopotas? Anything goes now, it seems.

Being a newborn and all, Riolu is likely to get the bulk of Ash's attention while Dragonite and Gengar (and Mr. Mime; haven't seen him in a little bit) appear sporadically. It bums me out a little when Ash gets these random battles and just uses Pikachu when we've yet to see Dragonite have an actual battle... or do anything meaningful at all since he was caught. I also kinda miss the days of SM when everyone's Pokemon was always out, but I digress.

Riolu wants to take on the world but has no comprehension of its limits and has a stubborn attitude. So, I wonder if these will be tied into its inevitable evolution, or if said evolution will only exacerbate these issues.

Other than those points the episode was decent enough, but I suspect it will need subs for me to get the most out of it, or at least a source that doesn't freeze as much as the one I watched it on today did.

Ha, so it wasn't just me who had a crappy stream today.

You'll see it in the subs, but one of the key takeaways from the episode for me was that Gou thought Ash hearing things was similar to him hearing Lugia before, but Ash said they were different. Ash got the feeling Riolu was calling out to him, hence he was really happy when Joy asked him to look after the egg, but he didn't talk about Aura or anything like that. Which is a little odd, when I think about it, but it seems they want to gradually introduce the concept (I mean, it hasn't been mentioned for quite some time now) by showing Ash having a power of some sorts when he's battling (or maybe it's just the visual representation of his bond with his Pokemon?).

Ash said he never saw a Pokemon laying eggs, but he has already seen Pokemon Eggs.

I'm just gonna say this right now so that it's out in the open: I have little faith in the anime when it comes to handling this new addition. We saw from Greninja how carried away they get when it comes to fan-favourites on Ash's team. Ten bucks says this Riolu will suck all the screentime and focus away from the rest of his new team like a vampire.

So my question now, is Ash going to get a Mega Lucario or they'll offer a new Lucario
form like a Gigantamax in line with the upcoming DLC or a completely new Ash-Lucario form that'll be triggered by Ash's natural affinity with Aura?

I am the only one who didn't want ash to get riolu because it will most prolly eat up all the screen time of gengar, dragonite and Mr mime(is it still there ). In addition to that, return of older Pokémon seems to be difficult too now coz riolu and when it becomes lucario is gonna take a lot of screen time . Pokémon world championships have also been disappointing coz it's just Pikachu taking the spotlight with no one else getting a chance to have a battle . Go got another pointless capture anyways .
Episodes rating : 5/10

So my question now, is Ash going to get a Mega Lucario or they'll offer a new Lucario
form like a Gigantamax in line with the upcoming DLC or a completely new Ash-Lucario form that'll be triggered by Ash's natural affinity with Aura?
Plz don't that ash-lucario thing , it was greninja's unique ability and should stay that way

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom