• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN021: Convey the Wave Guidance! Satoshi and the Mysterious Egg!!

Ash’s Riolu uses Vacuum Wave in 2 ways: shooting it as a ball or firing it as a beam.
Kinda make me want it to keep Vacuum Wave even after evolution since it seems a little more versatile than Aura Sphere to me.

A thing that I was thinking was, since it's Ash we're talking about, whenever he gets a pokemon that evolves based on friendship, it's a no brainer that it will evolve. (Even tho it was evident beforehand that the little blue irish of a riolu would evolve eitherway)

Random notes (again):
  • The small Professor Elm cameo. Yay for continuity!
  • If Ash randomly battling a random trainer out of nowhere is going to become a once-per-episode occasion, it’s gonna get old quickly. When will the writers realize that they do not have to shoehorn a capture or battle in every single episode?
  • Ash won the battle again, seeing Ash succeed is nice I guess, now I’m just waiting for him to have a downfall honestly.
  • Nurse Joy gifting an egg that won’t hatch to a random 10-year old she just met 5 minutes ago. How responsible.
  • Very happy about Ash capturing Riolu (now he can finally use something else than a final stage Kanto Pokémon), I wonder if Riolu will evolve as quick as Scorbunny did.
Overall this was definetely an improvement compared to last week's episode.

Nurse Joy gifting an egg that won’t hatch to a random 10-year old she just met 5 minutes ago. How responsible.
1. If an egg that has been inactive long enough to be passed to several daycares finally moves in the presence of someone it’s common sense that the person is something different.
2. That Nurse Joy knows Ash. He’s pretty much famous in the town due to the Surge incident and he pretty much lives there now.

If Ash randomly battling a random trainer out of nowhere is going to become a once-per-episode occasion, it’s gonna get old quickly. When will the writers realize that they do not have to shoehorn a capture or battle in every single episode?
IMO, random PWC battles are fine as long as:

1. The battle is related to the plot of the episode (assuming it's not the main focus of the episode to begin with). The previous episode's battle was there to showcase Ash's passion for battling in front of the kids, while this episode's battle was used to show how Riolu was sensitive to Ash's "Aura" that he seems to emit whenever he's battling.

2. Ash's ranking is clearly shown after the battle ends. The ranking update was omitted from this episode for no real reason, so that's kinda annoying. Why keep it ambiguous?

3. Ash isn't restricted to using nothing but Pikachu. At least Gengar had a chance to appear in the battle against Pisces (and will most likely be used in the future battle against Korrina), but what about Dragonite? It's been a long while since we last saw it battle, and we don't even know its full moveset yet. I'm fine with Mr. Mime being absent since I don't really see it as an actual, permanent member of Ash's team to begin with, but still, if Ash could use something other than Pikachu in his random battles, that'd be nice. Now that he's obtained a new Pokemon that isn't an OP fully-evolved one, hopefully we'll be seeing more non-Pikachu battles soon.

YES, Ash finally got one of my favorite Pokemon. What a fantastic Easter present! (btw Happy Easter, guys!)
First Dragonite, then Gengar and now Riolu. Now it seems to be more than obvious the writers finally listened to us fans and are starting to give Ash an all-star team with all the fans' most favorite Pokemon! Awesome!
It also seems winning the Alola League has finally kickstarted Ash's career as a highly professional trainer and a serious threat to at least all trainers at Elite Four level.
My only wish is that Ash will eventually get back Gible from Oak's lab and evolve it into the greatest Pokemon of all times, Garchomp!

Yes, I was pretty down after the PWC finals because I still think it was done very very badly. However, the writers are slowly but surely making up for it by giving Ash great Pokemon and now I've found my old passion for the Anime again!

Speaking of passion, I totally loved to see how eager and passionate Riolu was right after hatching! I promise, he will be a skilled, powerful fighter and a great asset to Ash's team.
And this leads me right to my theory: In (almost) every generation so far there's been a Pokemon on Ash's team that proved to be very special in some way. I'd like to call them the "special Pokemon":
  • Charizard in Kanto (and to some extent during the Orange Island and Hoenn episodes as well) who proved to be more powerful and special than the rest
  • Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape with his Blaze ability in Sinnoh
  • (I'll skip Unova because there was no extraordinary Pokemon in my opinion)
  • Ash-Greninja and the bond-phenomenon in Kalos
  • Torracat/Incineroar in Alola
And now this week's episode made it pretty clear that Riolu and the whole aura phenomenon will be the next big thing in the current series. I bet you Riolu being able to sense Ash's feelings combined with its own passion will play a crucial role in the series. It will eventually evolve into a Lucario (maybe even Mega-Lucario which would just be fantastic!) and be a major powerhouse in Ash's team.

Now Ash can build up a great team, defeat Leon and finally get ready for the ultimate showdown against Cynthia :giggle:

Excellent episode, 11 out of 10 points ;)

Last edited:
Its Lycanroc, not Torracat. Lycanroc got an all new form, and while Torracat/Incineroar defeated Kukui's Incineroar, it has inherently nothing special.
You got a point. Lycanrock also proved to be very special. However, Torracat's ongoing rivalry wih Kukuis' Incineroar was a major and dominant aspect in during Alola as well. Whether Lycanrock or Torracat was more important is debatable I'd say.

I'm happy that Ash was finally allowed to have a Riolu. It seems the new series is focusing on having Ash have partners on his team he was previously deprived of. But at the same times, I hope Ash is able to bring some of his Mon at Oak's onto his team, even if for an episode. I don't think I want Dragonite and Charizard introduced. Charizard will probably try to attack it why Dragonite goes to hug it.

And finally, Ash gets a Riolu/future Lucario, a Pokemon I'm certain people thought he would get since Gen 4. Better late than never. And right off the bat, they waste no time in giving us a view of its personality and desires. I guess that's what happens when an episode is focused on just one capture instead of multiples. Also, Go, you have no right to be taken aback at Ash's ease of Riolu's capture considering your track record.

When did he see any of those in the past 20 episodes? None of their eggs match up with the eggs we saw this episode

For the last time, continuity between this series and the previous ones does exist and events that happened in the previous series are canon to this one. Just because we're not constantly bombarded with references to every episode of all the past series every second, in every episode of this series, doesn't mean that's not the case. Ignoring the examples I gave you before and my explanation for why and how they prove there is continuity, episode 18 (where the Lt. Surge battle is outright referenced) and the episode 20 preview (where Korrina recognizes Ash) prove without a doubt that there is continuity and no amount of stretching and mental gym (or minor idiotic retcons designed to tie the anime to Pokémon GO) will ever change that. I really don't understand where resentment towards continuity's even coming from: what is so terrible about all the series being canon to each other, that you constantly have to come up with insane explanations for why that wouldn't be the case?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom