• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN021: Convey the Wave Guidance! Satoshi and the Mysterious Egg!!

That's a fair point. I'm not used to him having all of his Pokemon on hand anymore...kind of makes me sad!

Also, I'd love to see Ash hunt someone down for a battle himself. That'd be interesting to see; I hope that's something they do in the future.

I know PIkachu's been getting a bit of overexposure when it comes to the PWC battles, but there's also the "necessary" aspect regarding those battles:

SS018: It's his first PWC and with Visquez, Lt. Surge's stand-in at the Vermillion Gym. PIkachu was necessary here, especially when they brought up how the staff there know of Ash and his victory against Lt. Surge.

SS020: This was the orientation episode and kind of a soft summary episode where Ash and Gou reaffirmed their goals and showed off their progress towards them (ranking and # of Pokemon caught). Pikachu kinda needed to be here. It should be noted that the PWC match is pretty much an afterthought compared to the rest of the events of the episode.

SS021: A bit of a weaker reason, but Riolu hatched because it felt the Aura Ash exhibited when battling. It would cheapen the meaning behind Riolu hatching if Ash was battling with one of his other Pokemon. Again, the PWC was an afterthought compared to the egg, its hatching, and subsequent hijinks.

I like to think that Pikachu's "necessary" battles are over and Ash will be free to use his other Pokemon. When the PWC matches become the focus of the episode(s) again, they'll definitely include more Pokemon and give the others the chance to shine.

I like to think that Pikachu's "necessary" battles are over and Ash will be free to use his other Pokemon. When the PWC matches become the focus of the episode(s) again, they'll definitely include more Pokemon and give the others the chance to shine.
I think this is given some credibility when you take the Upcoming Preview into account which somewhat showcases Sobble, Riolu and Gengar being in focus with just one Jumanboruto slide for Pikachu. Still no love for Dragonite or reserves though.

I think this is given some credibility when you take the Upcoming Preview into account which somewhat showcases Sobble, Riolu and Gengar being in focus with just one Jumanboruto slide for Pikachu. Still no love for Dragonite or reserves though.
I think that Jumanboruto from the special preview is in this episode. Even the animation of the attack (Thunderbolt) was the same as the one in the special preview.

I think that Jumanboruto from the special preview is in this episode. Even the animation of the attack (Thunderbolt) was the same as the one in the special preview.

It was! This gives me hope that Pikachu will be uninvolved in the Battle Festival.

In fairness to Ash's battle choices he's had two challengers in a row surprise him: if he was able to hunt someone down for a battle himself he'd probably have a team on hand for it. I'm pretty sure he ONLY had Pikachu on hand at the time, hence a 1 v 1.
That's a fair point. I'm not used to him having all of his Pokemon on hand anymore...kind of makes me sad!

Also, I'd love to see Ash hunt someone down for a battle himself. That'd be interesting to see; I hope that's something they do in the future.
Going by the Unova episode, I think it's safe to say that Ash does have his other Pokemon with him whenever he's doing something outside of the institute, but it might be possible that Ash only brings them along when he's going to other regions. Still, regardless of whether that's actually the case or not, if random PWC battles are going to be the norm now, it'd be wise for Ash to always have his other Pokemon on hand anyway.

I thought early XY emphasized Pikachu too much, but they eased up on that after Ash battled Korrina. I wonder if it'll be the same this time.

M01-M13 are all considered canon to the main series anime, things only started to become murky when M14 pulled off the dual movie nonsense.
I like to argue that the Black version of the movie is canon to the main timeline and the White version is canon to the M20-M21 timeline because in the closing scenes of M20 we saw Juanita and her Golurk, which is shown to be the non-shiny version. If we take this to mean that the non-shiny Golurk is from the AU Movieverse then the shiny one must be from the Main Animeverse, meaning that the Black: Victini and Reshiram movie is the canon one.

Well, there's a problem with the Victini movie being canon, namely that Ash and co. meet and interact with Zekrom and Reshiram in the movie (or is it movies?). Which kind of contradicts the main anime, since it's established that Ash was the only one to have met Zekrom, that the only time he met it was in the first episode of BW and that none of them met Reshiram prior to Episode N.

Might as well post my thoughts on this one.

Nice nod to Prof. Elm.

You know Go's quest needs a lot of work when even Ash is unimpressed with one of his captures.

The Tauros battle was merely okay as a battle but as a way of demonstrating Aura it was good.

I like the art style on that Jigglypuff scene. That's two episodes in a row with a Growlithe.

I'm very glad Ash didn't resort to explaining things through sound effects this time. Characterization was good all around in this one.

I liked the wilderness scenery in the second half; I'm not crazy about how city-focused this series has been so far.

I like Riolu's fight obsession, I can see him becoming best friends with Raboot.

Riolu pushing Pikachu aside was hilarious.

Not much negative about this one. TR didn't appear but for once I'm ok with that.

Well, there's a problem with the Victini movie being canon, namely that Ash and co. meet and interact with Zekrom and Reshiram in the movie (or is it movies?). Which kind of contradicts the main anime, since it's established that Ash was the only one to have met Zekrom, that the only time he met it was in the first episode of BW and that none of them met Reshiram prior to Episode N.
Maybe being exposed to V-Create can damage the contents of short term memory at the time of the explosion. They remember the tournament and Victini playing in the credits but not the battle with the dragons. But really the writers of Episode N should have been more careful not to explicitly contradict their earlier movies in literally the same arc that shows the Genesect Army from the next movie.

Maybe being exposed to V-Create can damage the contents of short term memory at the time of the explosion.

That sounds... farfetched, to say the least. Is there anything in the movie(s) to even support that?

But really the writers of Episode N should have been more careful not to explicitly contradict their earlier movies in literally the same arc that shows the Genesect Army from the next movie.

I mean, the BW movies aren't connected to each other. So I don't see a problem with one of them being canon while another one isn't. As for why they referenced one, while not referencing the others... I don't know, maybe they were trying to hype up the movie by tying it to the main anime. Or maybe they originally planned to do something with the Genesect, before deciding to make a movie out of it. I honestly don't know. What I do know is that, despite both of them having issues that contradict the main anime (as was par for the course with Best Wishes, unfortunately (though one of them has a bigger impact than the other)), one of them is directly connected to the anime (via hints/flashbacks/mentions), while the other isn't.

So the Vermillion Joy is the one who gave Ash the Thunderstone WAY back in day...was that at all referenced? I mean Joys could be shifted around...but then again that reference may be more something for fanfics.

YESSSSSSSSS RIOLUUUUUU LETS REWIEWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
Ash Finnaly Caught A Riolu YESSS!!! :love: :love: :love:
Ash Sensing Riolu's Aura Far From the Pokemon Center :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Riolu and Ash Aura Connection Riolu Realizing Ash Has Aura Then Battling Alongside Him!!:love::love::love:
10/10 No Further Words Needed.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom