• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN022: Goodbye, Rabbifoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This literally happened in the Scorbunny evolving episode I think... (maybe some milder form, I’m not sure right now)
That's what I was getting at by specifying it depends who writes it; that one wasn't written by one of the veterans but by Deko Akao, whose first Pokémon episode was episode 4 of this series.

On the one hand, Go and Raboot will get some development...

but on the other hand the title makes this looks like it'll be just another one of those cliched "Oh no! Is this character/Pokémon leaving for good?" episodes where it's all, ALL too evident that it's not the case and that they'll stay regardless.

If this helps Gou grow as a person then all is well. I guess that is what really matters in the end even if the disobedience plot and the character-leaves-and-comes-back-in-the-same-episode plot are overused and predictable.

That's what I was getting at by specifying it depends who writes it; that one wasn't written by one of the veterans but by Deko Akao, whose first Pokémon episode was episode 4 of this series.
The worry is that there's a decent chance it will be Deko Akao if she's done two of the other three Scorbunny episodes, same as Akemi Omode did most of the Showcase episodes.

It's not so much that she's a bad writer, she's just bad at writing Ash.

Mmm, I smell the potential for some nice character development!

Personally, I don't know if I want the conflict to be resolved right away, but I also don't want them to drag it out for too long. It'd be nice if Gou and Raboot made headway in this episode and it only continued to improve from there.

Also, seems kind of weird to set this one in Hoenn, as much as I love Beautifly.

I'm really curious about what Go's reaction to all this will be. We saw in Episode 3 that he had been rejected by someone before, and was reminded of that person when Ash said to him "I don't need you as a friend". Based on how it sounds, that's pretty much exactly what Raboot's gonna do to him in this episode. I would imagine Go's gonna take this really hard, since losing his friends clearly seems to be one of his biggest fears.

That, or it might be Go himself who decides that Raboot is better off without him. Assuming he finds out in this episode that Raboot is still mad at him for what happened in Episode 17, I can see him becoming convinced that he's a bad trainer and doesn't deserve Raboot.

Which scenario do you guys think is more likely? Either way, I feel like this episode is definitely going to be the biggest tear-jerker we've had all season.

As a fun aside, let's look at all Japanese episode titles with "Farewell" or any sort of synonym in the title and see how the plot goes:

EP021 (Bye-Bye Butterfree): Ash releases Butterfree
EP091 (Goodbye Koduck! Come again Golduck?): Lol no
EP113 (Goodbye Laplace!): Ash releases Lapras
EP169 (Goodbye Rokon! Pokémon Beauty Contest!!): Brock returns Vulpix to its original trainer
EP199 (Goodbye Chicorita!? The Electric Labyrinth!): Lol no (But Chikorita does evolve here)
EP225 (Farewell Fushigidane! Adventure at Dr. Okido's!!): Ash "Oak's" Bulbasaur
EP273 (Goodbye...and Then, Setting Off!): Ash parts ways with Misty and Brock, also "Oak's" all his Pokemon except for Pikachu
AG006 (Rocket-dan! A Fury Swipes Goodbye!!): Jessie releases Arbok and James releases Weezing
DP073 (Goodbye, Dokucale!): Jessie releases Dustox
DP178 (Goodbye Rocket-dan! Love of Nyarth!?): Lol no
BW123 (Farewell, Isshu! Setting Sail Once Again!!): Ash leaves Unova
BW126 (Goodbye Mijumaru!? The Path to Being Hotachi King!): Lol no
XY082 (The Pumpjin Festival! Farewell, Bakeccha!?): Lol no (But Jessie does temporarily trade away her Pumpkaboo)
XY139 (Farewell, Satoshi Gekkouga! Xerosicy's Counterattack!!): Ash sends Goodra back to the wetlands and leaves Greninja with Zygarde
SM026 (Farewell, Mamane!): Lol no

You know, that's a lot more episodes than I was expecting, especially in the Original Series

As a fun aside, let's look at all Japanese episode titles with "Farewell" or any sort of synonym in the title and see how the plot goes:

EP021 (Bye-Bye Butterfree): Ash releases Butterfree
EP091 (Goodbye Koduck! Come again Golduck?): Lol no
EP113 (Goodbye Laplace!): Ash releases Lapras
EP169 (Goodbye Rokon! Pokémon Beauty Contest!!): Brock returns Vulpix to its original trainer
EP199 (Goodbye Chicorita!? The Electric Labyrinth!): Lol no (But Chikorita does evolve here)
EP225 (Farewell Fushigidane! Adventure at Dr. Okido's!!): Ash "Oak's" Bulbasaur
EP273 (Goodbye...and Then, Setting Off!): Ash parts ways with Misty and Brock, also "Oak's" all his Pokemon except for Pikachu
AG006 (Rocket-dan! A Fury Swipes Goodbye!!): Jessie releases Arbok and James releases Weezing
DP073 (Goodbye, Dokucale!): Jessie releases Dustox
DP178 (Goodbye Rocket-dan! Love of Nyarth!?): Lol no
BW123 (Farewell, Isshu! Setting Sail Once Again!!): Ash leaves Unova
BW126 (Goodbye Mijumaru!? The Path to Being Hotachi King!): Lol no
XY082 (The Pumpjin Festival! Farewell, Bakeccha!?): Lol no (But Jessie does temporarily trade away her Pumpkaboo)
XY139 (Farewell, Satoshi Gekkouga! Xerosicy's Counterattack!!): Ash sends Goodra back to the wetlands and leaves Greninja with Zygarde
SM026 (Farewell, Mamane!): Lol no

You know, that's a lot more episodes than I was expecting, especially in the Original Series
After this episode airs, I expect it to get a "Lol no" as well.

I really don't like Raboot and the fact that it's getting another angst episode is annoying, but fingers crossed that this is the last one and it'll finally listen to Go and stop moping around.
That would be way too soon. This could just be a turning point that turns the whole thing from bad to worse.

Gou honestly deserves this to be abandoned by Raboot, though I hope this gets him some real development and make him realize that some of his Pokemon want to train and battle with him rather than stay at the lab all the time.
And Pokémon are beyond collectibles and need attention. They also have their own hopes and dreams and want to get better. He should encourage his Pokémon to do their best rather than ignoring them while throwing 1000 Pokeballs on the next thing.

Go isn't going to start training dozens of Pokemon, nor is Ash for that matter (it's nice that he trained them back in the day, but that was a long time ago). What's more realistic to expect is episodes like the one after this, which shows the lab Pokemon interact with each other.

Raboot doesn't represent the other Pokemon. It's the lucky one that is always by Go's side, but ironically it was the untrained Darmanitan that made Scorbunny realize it could be doing more. Chances are that Raboot wants to be a wild Pokemon again, but the more reasonable approach would be to train at the lab.

I feel like Raboot and Gou dont really understand eachother. Raboot wants to fight, Gou wants to catch. As seen in PM007, Gou doesnt really like batteling. Or Gou has to accept that Raboot wants to fight more. Raboot and Gou are totally diffferent from eachother, like the Sun and the Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom