• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN023: A Massive Panic! Sakuragi Park!

Finally new Pokemon episodes again! Man it sure feels great!

What at first looked like a typical filler, turned out not to be that bad after all. On the contrary!
Sure, the plot was predictable but what made this episode remarkable were the various Pokemon interactions. Just like Professor Sakuragi pointed out it was quite intriguing to see the Pokemon's different social behavior.
Also, I think it's noteworthy that it was only Go's Pokemon who got involved as opposed to Ash's Pokemon who seemed to be much more mature. That brings me to the point that's been around for a long time: Go "catching" Pokemon after Pokemon without being able to handle them properly if problems arise. The logical consequences could be seen in this week's episode..

Nevertheless, an entertaining Pokemon-centered episode with a nice climax!

As a side note: Is it me or might Riolu become a second Pikachu? Ii seems he loves being around with Ash. And... oh yes, Ash, you shouldn't use Mr.Mime as a training partner for Riolu. He still has to become much stronger and Mr. Mime's strength might perhaps be a bit discouraging, don't you think? ;)

Lucario has nothing on Mimey. And it's a lot easier to control 5 Pokemon than 30+, especially when Pikachu and Mimey are veterans and Dragonite is naturally well-behaved. Gengar was barely around. Ash's Pokemon didn't even seem hungry, probably because he fed them directly.

Last edited:

What at first looked like a typical filler, turned out not to be that bad after all. On the contrary!
Sure, the plot was predictable but what made this episode remarkable were the various Pokemon interactions. Just like Professor Sakuragi pointed out it was quite intriguing to see the Pokemon's different social behavior.
Also, I think it's noteworthy that it was only Go's Pokemon who got involved as opposed to Ash's Pokemon who seemed to be much more mature. That brings me to the point that's been around for a long time: Go "catching" Pokemon after Pokemon without being able to handle them properly if problems arise. The logical consequences could be seen in this week's episode..

As a side note: Is it me or might Riolu become a second Pikachu? Ii seems he loves being around with Ash. And... oh yes, Ash, you shouldn't use Mr.Mime as a training partner for Riolu. He still has to become much stronger and Mr. Mime's strength might perhaps be a bit discouraging, don't you think? ;)

Mr.Mime has secretly been Ash's strongest Pokemon off all time.

I'm just- this isn't even about the episode itself but wasn't Morpeko supposed to debut in this episode? Or was that a fever dream of mine?

You know, the sad thing is that in spite of this episode showing the consequences of Go rapid capturing Pokémon and just keeping them at Sakuragi Park as opposed to Ash having his Pokémon together with him allowing them to bond as a pseudo family, it’s gonna turn into a missed opportunity for real character development for Go because the writers set out with the goal of Go rapidly catching Pokémon left, right and center logical consequences be damned.

Gotta agree with everyone who's said this episode benefited from being the first one back from the hiatus for two reasons: I don't really remember every single Pokemon Goh has caught so this was a really good refresher, and had this aired right after the "goodbye Raboot" episode I probably would've been really underwhelmed by it. But because this was the first new episode in a while, I actually appreciated the lightheartedness and felt like it was a good way to ease back into the series.

I'm not always the biggest fan of Pokemon shenanigans episodes, so this one had me wary, but I think they executed it quite well. It was nice to not only see a majority of Goh's Pokemon, but their personalities as well. I have long complained about his multitude of captures and how I felt it was negatively impacting his Pokemon's presence in the show, especially compared to Ash's team, but this episode showed that the writers can reflect all of the Pokemon as interesting individuals, which was nice to see.

I spoiled myself and read this thread before watching the episode, so I knew Skwovet was responsible for the missing food, but I actually like how this was kind of left a mystery throughout the whole episode. There were really no hints that Skwovet was responsible, and eventually I got so absorbed in the Pokemon fighting and then working together to stop Golurk that I kind of forgot there was really a culprit until Ash and Goh found the stash at the very end. I liked that it was played a lot more subtly and you wouldn't have figured out so easily who was responsible (unless, of course, you spoiled yourself like I did!)

Also, a much more minor thing, but Riolu is soooo cute! I thought it was sweet he acted a bit more like a baby Pokemon, and that it was through small things you might not have noticed (like him staying close to Ash) without looking. I think that's such a nice way to portray his personality where he's pretty tough and wants to be strong, but is ultimately still young.

Not a bad return for the anime! I was a bit disappointed this would be the first episode back, but it pleasantly surprised me!

You know, the sad thing is that in spite of this episode showing the consequences of Go rapid capturing Pokémon and just keeping them at Sakuragi Park as opposed to Ash having his Pokémon together with him allowing them to bond as a pseudo family, it’s gonna turn into a missed opportunity for real character development for Go because the writers set out with the goal of Go rapidly catching Pokémon left, right and center logical consequences be damned.
Yes, I agree. Frankly, I don't care about Go anymore. He's just there so that Ash is not alone. But I certainly wouldn't call him a companion of Ash's like all his previous "real" companions who contributed something meaningful to the plot. I pity his Pokemon that are trapped (yes I call it trapped) in the park for no obvious reason. Pokemon shouldn't be treated as mere trophies if their trainer is not able to work with them properly and regularly (Of course, Ash has oak-ed most of his Pokemon as well, but at least he actually did something with them and treated them as friends and battle partners).

If there was a petition "Freedom for Go's Pokemon", ... I'd sign it!

Yes, I agree. Frankly, I don't care about Go anymore. He's just there so that Ash is not alone. But I certainly wouldn't call him a companion of Ash's like all his previous "real" companions who contributed something meaningful to the plot. I pity his Pokemon that are trapped (yes I call it trapped) in the park for no obvious reason. Pokemon shouldn't be treated as mere trophies if their trainer is not able to work with them properly and regularly (Of course, Ash has oak-ed most of his Pokemon as well, but at least he actually did something with them and treated them as friends and battle partners).

If there was a petition "Freedom for Go's Pokemon", ... I'd sign it!
Yea, while I don’t hate Go, the anime really hasn’t done anything to make me care about him either. With him being the duel protagonist, you’d think the writers would make him feel a bit more meaningful to the overall dynamic. Like in the case with May and Dawn, they had goals that allowed them to show off and develop their Pokémon in meaningful ways over the course of the series while also learning from and rubbing off on Ash. You don’t really get that same kind of feeling with Go. His Pokémon never really get to be presented in meaningful ways to the point that an episode like this is less a reward of seeing the different Pokémon personalities mesh like the Oak’s Lab episodes and more creating personalities on the spot and giving an episode to remind us that they exist.

And while people like to point out this episode showing that Go cares for his Pokémon by taking care of them, we get to see and feel Ash and previous companions’ love for their Pokémon on display by their daily actions over the span of the series while with Go, we’re given an obligatory scene 23 episodes in. The whole thing just feels like the writers are way in over their heads with Go’s goal without having thought of a meaningful way to express it.

Alternative title of the episode:

"The Hunger Games: Mocking us"

I love how the Pokemon world is the land of the no consequences, you help and evil team destroy the world? You are still the champion no problem!!

You have a lot of Pokemon in a concealed space (Unlike Oak Corral) dont worry catch more until there is not even oxygen for all of us,untill there is no food for all Pokemon, until Pokemon that are prey and predator eat each other. An all of this because of a goal that makes no sense at all and is unplausible.

What i have learned from this episode: Darmanitan is a coward. It mocking Scorbunny earlier came from its own insecurities most likely.

If you are a fire type that uses one of the strongest fire types (not the strongest but up there), and a bug type just completely destroys that attack without taking any damage, I'm pretty sure you'd be afraid too.

You have a lot of Pokemon in a concealed space (Unlike Oak Corral) dont worry catch more until there is not even oxygen for all of us,untill there is no food for all Pokemon, until Pokemon that are prey and predator eat each other.

The food was stolen by one of the Pokemon. There is nothing to suggest that there was originally a shortage. Also nothing suggest that the park is too small. You can dislike Go's goal, but you are passing your head canon as fact concerning the stability of the lab.

Let's be fair; Professor Oak lost control of the Pokémon at his lab so badly the whole place turns into Mad Max if Bulbasaur leaves for a few hours. It's not like this is an unprecedented occurrence.
Yes, but unlike Sakuragi's park, Oak has to manage a lot more. Pretty sure there's more than just Ash's Pokemon namely the ones caught by the other Pallet trainers like Gary. There's also an abundance of wild Pokemon as seen in JN001. And he only has Tracey and Bulbasaur, yet they manage to get the job done.

Sakuragi's park only has Gou's collection and yet they seem to struggle with one issue (much less the many others that could arise), despite having the technology and means to resolve it.

Last edited:
The food was stolen by one of the Pokemon. There is nothing to suggest that there was originally a shortage

That's what Im trying to say, if one pokemon can cause such a big problem imagine if two or even three pokemon of that characteristics start stealing food.

Also nothing suggest that the park is too small.

I did not said it was little. I said that it was in a enclosed space unlike Oak Ranch which is outdoors and have a lot of Pokemon not only Pallet town trainers pokémon also wild ones come there, in an open area Pokemon would be able to get feed on their own. Or do you think that wild Pokemon go shopping and buy Pokefood for themselves?

but you are passing your head canon as fact concerning the stability of the lab

It's canon atleast in the games that are Pokemon who eat each other, you just have to read the Dex descriptions.

Last edited:
Or they've just realized that they need more supplies and special solutions for trouble makers. You act as if this is an old lab that should have everything figured out by now.

Did someone just imply that the Pokemon at Oak's (more specifically Ash's reserves) eat wild Pokemon or something? Yuck. Not to mention that I don't recall any indication that the Pallet trainers' reserves could leave the ranch or that wild Pokemon could get in.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom