• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN026: Jump! Koiking / Put it On! Yadoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary and Staff list courtesy of Dephender on Serebii

"Splash, Koiking!"
Go has entered a "Koiking High Jump Tournament", but he's highly unlikely to win because his Koiking is so fat. He then decides to train Koiking, referencing the bodybuilding videos made by Kasuking, the tournament's ultimate champion!
GUEST STARRING COMEDIAN TOSHIAKI KASUGA AS KASUKING

"Put It On, Yadoking!"
Satoshi and Go have come to Yadon Island, which is filled with Yadon as far as the eye can see! But then a Yadoking shows up as well, and a strange change comes over Satoshi.

Screenplay 藤咲淳一 (Junichi Fujisaku)
Storyboard 湯山邦彦 (Kunihiko Yuyama)
Storyboard 樋口香里 (Kaori Higuchi)
Episode Director 上野史博 (Fumihiro Ueno)
Animation Director 篠原隆 (Takashi Shinohara)

So it's come down to this.: an episode that's like an episode of a Nicktoon that's two episode segments...

Arceus have mercy on us all.

(PS: I get that the pandemic had something to do with this)

Well, it'll be interesting to see how this A/B split works.
So a Magikarp jump episode. I was not expecting that. Doesn't sound very interesting right now, but it could be a funny episode. We'll see.
I think this could have been a neat excuse to separate Ash and Gou for once. Have Gou do the Magikarp plot and Ash do the Slowpoke one, all the while cutting back and forth between the two. I think we could use some proper solo episodes, I found Gou most endearing when he was alone in the Cubone episode.

Contrary to what everyone thinks, Ash and Go are not getting solo segments in the episode. And neither are both parts occurring at the same time (unless one of the "Goh"s is Mew in disguise).
Satoshi and Go have come to Yadon Island, which is filled with Yadon as far as the eye can see! But then a Yadoking shows up as well, and a strange change comes over Satosh

He’ll be there in both Slowking and Magikarp parts.

Last edited:
I admit this looks odd, but it's one episode out of almost thirty announced or aired so far.

I don't want to see the whole series become like this but split episodes aren't necessarily a bad thing; this way you could use two ten minutes ideas instead of taking a ten minute idea and stretching it out with padding.

Yeah, this format could be helpful to combine two fillers into one and make those episodes easier to watch, but it's also a double-edged sword as we don't know if those plots will be paced appropriately and they could become more like comedy sketches down the line.

It feels so weird to see a Magikarp Jump reference after 3 years, I think it's possibly just an homage from one of the writers who liked the game.

So the show's going double episode in one for the first time eh?

GUEST STARRING COMEDIAN TOSHIAKI KASUGA AS KASUKING
Guessing Kasuking is the guy Pokenchi was on about last month before the whole crazy lockdown scenario happened.
an episode that's like an episode of a Nicktoon that's two episode segments...
Also insert pretty much every modern Canadian cartoon here.

I admit this looks odd, but it's one episode out of almost thirty announced or aired so far.

I don't want to see the whole series become like this but split episodes aren't necessarily a bad thing; this way you could use two ten minutes ideas instead of taking a ten minute idea and stretching it out with padding.
Though it raises the question of if an idea for an episode is so empty that it requires being split into an 11 minute segment, and the series has already been pushed back by delay, why not trim it entirely so that another episode that could have been of better quality gets to see the light of day? Wouldn’t even be the first time an episode that was planned just didn’t air. Episodes like this feel expendable in this type of situation.

Though it raises the question of if an idea for an episode is so empty that it requires being split into an 11 minute segment, and the series has already been pushed back by delay, why not trim it entirely so that another episode that could have been of better quality gets to see the light of day? Wouldn’t even be the first time an episode that was planned just didn’t air. Episodes like this feel expendable in this type of situation.
You want them throw away all their work just because you don't like the concept and fail to grasp that a long series is bound to have fillers? Do you understand that this wouldn't make a new episode any easier to make? Sure, they should trim some of the fillers they might be planning, but the one that is practically finished? There is zero reason to ban it unless it involves Slowking infecting Ash with a virus (that actually reminds me of Gengar's capture episode). Not very likely, especially when they've just announced it during the break...

Fillers rarely sound interesting on paper. It depends on the execution, and quite frankly the split format could save this episode.

Last edited:
You want them throw away all their work just because you don't like the concept and fail to grasp that a long series is bound to have fillers? Do you understand that this wouldn't make a new episode any easier to make? Sure, they should trim some of the fillers they might be planning, but the one that is practically finished? There is zero reason to ban it unless it involves Slowking infecting Ash with a virus (that actually reminds me of Gengar's capture episode). Not very likely, especially when they've just announced it during the break...

Fillers rarely sound interesting on paper. It depends on the execution, and quite frankly the split format could save this episode.
They’ve literally thrown away all their work with fully made out episodes in the past. Remember the TR vs Team Plasma story? That was completed and never aired. We don’t even know at what point in the production that this episode even is at. Compare the importance of an actual major plot affecting episode to a pair of episodes apparently so devoid of content that they have to literally share the same half hour. So yea, I’d say that if they can throw out all their hard work on something that was both completed and important, that they have the liberty of trimming the fat of a literally pointless filler episode that may not even be completed to give room for something down the line that’s actually meaningful.

They’ve literally thrown away all their work with fully made out episodes in the past. Remember the TR vs Team Plasma story? That was completed and never aired. We don’t even know at what point in the production that this episode even is at. Compare the importance of an actual major plot affecting episode to a pair of episodes apparently so devoid of content that they have to literally share the same half hour. So yea, I’d say that if they can throw out all their hard work on something that was both completed and important, that they have the liberty of trimming the fat of a literally pointless filler episode that may not even be completed to give room for something down the line that’s actually meaningful.

"Throwing away an episode" isn't just something they can do without consequences. It basically means you just throw $10.000
an example, I don't know the actual figure
to the thrash and you can't make them back as you won't get any advertisement revenue, DVD sales, etc. and thus it MUST only be done in extreme cases when brand reputation matters more than the money lost.

Also, the anime has always run on fillers to showcase different Pokémon. As I said in the past, if they need to make room to broadcast the story faster because of the pandemic it's more likely that they'll air episodes in 1-hour specials.

About the episode being split in 2, it may have been the case early on its development but I doubt OLM just stitched two episodes together at the last minute. Both are focused on a protagonist bonding with a memetic Kanto Water-type Pokémon so the episodes may have always mean to be two harmless segments who look similar to one another.

This episode would have been a two-in-one even without COVID-19; otherwise the episode's production wouldn't have been far enough along for them to start sending info out to magazines like Animage.

Anyway, I'm honestly surprised the show didn't try the whole two-in-one thing back when they were trying to piggyback off Yokai Watch's popularity back in the last series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom