• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN026: Jump! Koiking / Put it On! Yadoking

Wow I did not saw the begining of the episode.

They dared to use Team Rocket and the stupid machine as promotion for the episode...

I hate this writter I hope he goes to Yokai Academy or whowever is called and that he sinks it for good.

Sigh.. Guess I will put the review later the fastest the better for my sanity.

Last edited:
That was a.... thing alright.

Nice Diantha Easter egg too.

Why now though? Wouldn't the last episode made more sense, especially since it was on a magazine (So they could have done it last episode, Ash reading about the tournament in the magazine with Diantha on the cover).

That Boldore was also interesting. Since it can't be Goh's, maybe it was Ash's (Unless Goh caught it off-screen).

I logged in after years of absence because the overwhelmingly negative reactions here need a little balance!
I loved every minute of the episode. Can we please, please please get more episodes like this one? It suits the anime SO much.

English speaking Satoking, koiking return from space, Dragon Ball training weight reveal, Team Rocket door action, etc

How can you not love this episode? Seriously?

I logged in after years of absence because the overwhelmingly negative reactions here need a little balance!
I loved every minute of the episode. Can we please, please please get more episodes like this one? It suits the anime SO much.

English speaking Satoking, koiking return from space, Dragon Ball training weight reveal, Team Rocket door action, etc

Some of us have taste

I will give you my answer:

I'ts not of what I want in Pokemon.

When I think of Pokemon I think of Pokemon battles, exploration even some mysteries and even some fun,

I do not think of funny gags or forced visual humour or the crazines that I expect from watching Bobobo that in my country was a huge success.

But this is just and opinion of an Spanish boy in his early 20's that have been watching the series since 1999 in his country dub.

PD:I remember when in 2009 I was like: "Wow why can't Pokemon be more fun like Bobobo" I regret those words now.

Don't get me wrong, I loved this episode quite a bit, but I get why this episode wasn't liked as much here. It's so tonally different to standard Pokémon shenanigans that it puts even some of the wackiest, craziest SM episodes to shame, and that is just not something that everyone can or even wants to appreciate and that's absolutely fine. I didn't expect this one off episode to be as polarizing as it was, but I can totally understand why it was.

I'm not gonna lie, though. I wish we got more episodes like this, or well, not like this exactly, but episodes that are as unconventional as this and that give the staff enough room to experiment on completely new ideas for the show, at least every now and then.

We see Bolder in this episode was it Ash?
Gou left His Magikarp In space and he left that tournament without waiting for his Pokémon returning wow bad trainer

That's a bit of a dick thing to say. Different people like different things. Enjoying a fun comedy episode doesn't mean you "don't have taste," it just means...you like fun comedy episodes.
Did you see my comment on top

The response on Japanese Twitter has been overwhelmingly positive.
Oh sweet baby Jesus, that pretty much guarantees that there will be even more of these completely pointless, rock bottom, no effort fillers. This was literally ‘absolutely nothing happened’ the episode, the sheer definition of pointless filler. I’d say the only thing that even got any reaction out of me is wondering just where that Boldore at Sakuragi Park came from and that’s got nothing to even do with the actual plot of the episode.
10 bucks that everyone giving their negative veredicts on this episode don't have any subs to read yet and sorta-kinda guess the dialogue at best
Even the greatest subs in the universe can’t save this dumpster fire of an episode.

Last edited:
There's often a very strong cultural component to humor so it's not really a surprise the episode could be so popular in Japan but disliked by a lot of viewers over here.

No, the dub shouldn't skip this one. Unless there's something they think would genuinely cause problems if brought over like the Passimian episode they shouldn't skip over an episode just because they don't think it'll be liked.

No, the dub shouldn't skip this one. Unless there's something they think would genuinely cause problems if brought over like the Passimian episode they shouldn't skip over an episode just because they don't think it'll be liked.
I haven't seen it yet but I have to agree with this. If someone doesn't like something it's better that they be given the choice to skip it rather than take the choice to watch it away from someone who might like it.

Upon watching it, I had a feeling this episode might get a bit of negative feedback but even I was unprepared for the venom that is being directed towards as well as, shamefully, insults towards the people who have anything positive to say about it.

I don't get why people hated this episode so much, I really enjoyed it and I definitely wouldn't call it the worst the show has even put out... hell, I wouldn't even call it the worst of Journeys so far. There was clearly a lot of care, attention, detail and humour put into this episode and it showed. I also appreciated this being split into two segments; clearly the writers didn't think either story had enough meat to help it last the full twenty minutes so rather than pad it out with a Team Rocket plot or some random Yadoking expert, they wisely divided it into ten-minutes segments so neither felt drawn out.

I do have a couple of problems with this; Satoshi laughing off Go losing his Pokemon really didn't sit well with me, and shouldn't Yadoking have de-evolved upon losing it's 'crown'? But those are just small niggles.

To me, this episode proves the divide between people on this board and the target audience of this show; children. It's obvious this episode was made with kids in mind, and in that respect it absolutely works. To those people who didn't like it; hey, every so often this show goes into pure comedy and would you have rather had two full episodes devoted to these plots?

"No effort"? Come on now. This episode clearly had a lot of love and attention put into it by everyone involved in its production, from the animators to the writers to the voice actors to everyone else.
That plenty of production work went to the episode goes without saying but even so, comparing this episode to pretty much any other, the bar just feels super low even as far as cultural humor goes. It just doesn’t feel like a Pokémon episode instead just feeling like it belongs in some completely different anime.

I Like the way team rocket framed this episode, getting to see Diantha on the magazine and James’s Poke ball collection was great.

The rest of the episode...

I choose to believe Goh’s Magikarp was training against Ash’s Boldore at the beginning. YOU CAN’T PROVE IT WASN’T!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom