• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN026: Jump! Koiking / Put it On! Yadoking

Does anyone have any clue whose Boldore was that ? I believe it was ash's since there is no other way that a Boldore can appear in the cerise laboratory

Can someone answer my two questions
1- What happened to Goh's magikarp ? Is it gone for good ?
2- Whose Boldore was that ? I am convinced it was Ash's

1- He returned from the stratosphere is that makes any sense
2- Don't know maybe it is since it had the same personality as Ash's one AKA no personality at all.

Last edited:
I Like the way team rocket framed this episode, getting to see Diantha on the magazine and James’s Poke ball collection was great.

The rest of the episode...

I choose to believe Goh’s Magikarp was training against Ash’s Boldore at the beginning. YOU CAN’T PROVE IT WASN’T!
We shall call it Schrödinger's Boldore. Until there is any confirmation from the staff, it is simultaneously Ash’s and isn’t.

Okay, I was expecting some decent filler at best, not this. I wasn't expecting...

THE BEST POKÉMON EPISODE CREATED SINCE DP142!

Some people claim that this episode is not for everybody because of its "japanese kind of humor." Some people also say that this episode is "for children." As a non-japanese adult, I say NO to both of these claims. This was one of the funniest pokémon episodes ever. It wasn't anymore "childish" than most episodes, and it's humor was international.

This was the weirdest, most experimental Pokémon episode in like forever and I'm all for it.

Like it wasn't amazing by any means, but I'd rather have something as wacky as this over some bland garbage "help the CotD" type of filler we're so used to by now.
This. Absolutely this. Nothing could've prepared me for the absolute absurdity that was this episode. This episode somehow managed to transcend even Sun and Moon's level of wackiness, and that's a pretty high bar. You know how something can be so bad, it ends up looping back to becoming absolutely amazing? That's how I felt about this episode. I had significantly more fun watching this episode compared to some others in the series like episode 8 (the Sinnoh racing episode) and episode 9 (the Ho-Oh episode).

Team Rocket's appearances at the start and end of the episode, Gou's Magikarp pulling a Rock Lee and piercing the stratosphere, Slowking's inexplicable love for ramen/udon (how did it get its hands on a bowl of udon in the first place?), Satoking speaking in Engrish... there's quite a few jokes that I loved in this episode. The only joke that I really disliked in this episode was Ash and Gou casually abandoning Magikarp as it just aimlessly drifts in space for the sake of a gag. At least it returned in the second skit, thank god.

And then you have the small random details in this episode that are just sprinkled around amidst the jokes. Meowth's playset referencing the Rocket trio's van from Alola, James's Pokeball collection also returning from Alola, a random Boldore appearing in the Sakuragi Park that may or may not indicate the very first time we see Ash's reserves returning in this series, and the fact that Slowking can just easily take off its Shelder hat and give it to someone else to bestow infinite wisdom onto them. Oh yeah, I guess no random Gou captures kinda counts as a plus, too.

With all that said, I do understand that this is not the kind of episode that many fans expect/want from this series, and Japanese humor tends to be hit-or-miss for many western fans (it's usually a hit for me, that's probably why I enjoyed this episode as much as I did). However, compared to many of the "filler" episodes that we tend to get, this is definitely an improvement in my eyes. I'll take wacky 2-parters like this over padded, single-plot, generic help-the-CotD fillers any time of the day.

Okay, I was expecting some decent filler at best, not this. I wasn't expecting...

THE BEST POKÉMON EPISODE CREATED SINCE DP142!

Some people claim that this episode is not for everybody because of its "japanese kind of humor." Some people also say that this episode is "for children." As a non-japanese adult, I say NO to both of these claims. This was one of the funniest pokémon episodes ever. It wasn't anymore "childish" than most episodes, and it's humor was international.

DP 142 is the perfect example of a wacky good episode inside the Pokemon World context. The Litwick mansion episode or even the Beheyem episodes are good example of this.

To me this falls in the category of the horrid Magikarp episode of Sun&Moon or the Pokeball Factory Tom&Jerry episode of trying to hard.

Let's pretend that this episode never happened.

This was literally the worst episode of the series till date. But why was team rocket stuff included, what it did to the episode?
With the power of Netflix, you now can and without the entire week worth of time lost (thank God this episode didn’t air as an episode count that is a multiple of 12 or even Netflix couldn’t help us).

You know guys....

I had the exact feeling I had with this episode with another media and it was exactly two weeks ago and the scary thing is that people is reacting the same way even thought they are different things.

As you know from some of my coments I am a huge wrestling mark (To be fair I'm only a WWE and AEW fan, sometimes I follow New Japan Wrestling too).

Some of you may be aware that wrestling is still being made today even with the whole COVID-19 going on. To try (with no effect) and to be more entretaining since having no crowd takes his toll, WWE has given preference to Cinematic Matches. That means that they do fights but in movie styles not in the ring.

Two weeks ago WWE aired the PPV "Backlash: The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever" and the main event was the so called Greatest Wrestling Match ever Edge vs Randy Orton. Whoever there were other matches announced one of them was The Street Profits vs Viking Raiders. Instead of being a wrestling match it turned into a cinematic match with pure madness chaos and nonsencical moments (I will show a segment of the match latter) .

I hated it and lot of people also did it in twitter, whoever a lot of people also liked it. The same happened with a Match Between John Cena and Bray Wyatt at Wrestlemania 36 in April but I liked that cause those two are awesome actors and the plot made sense since Bray is a maniac.

What I'm trying to say that this has nothing to do with the episode full of only japanese humour or not. Exagerated and unrealistic comedy is a hit and miss in every media, movie ,book,tv show, radio show... some people will like it a lot and some will hate it. It will always cause controversy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoaPLFSNEt4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN7QPq3HxDE

So, one second. I don't think English is up yet so I have to ask...
Are TR just making up wild stories or is this happening in-universe?

Slowking's inexplicable love for ramen/udon (how did it get its hands on a bowl of udon in the first place?)
I bet this guy does deliveries:
SlowPokeRestaurant.PNG

Piece of extra art done by today's animation director Takashi Shinohara:

View: https://twitter.com/takashi11290141/status/1277256609589166080?s=20

Buff Pikachu is love. Buff Pikachu is life.

Came in with expectations for an average episode and got exactly what I expected.

PROS:
+ Diantha cameo!!
+ We got 2 fillers out of the way instead of one
+ The series continues to do a good job at showcasing personality for Go's Pokemon even when his party is already cramped
+ Magikarp flying to space was fun
+ LOL at the door scene

CONS:
- The silly nature of the episode was fine IMO, but not much really grabbed my attention or interested me
- This is probably the first true filler in the series since Go doesn't even get to catch anything
- The Slowbro hat scene dragged on for too long

I think Pokemon is better sticking with a 22 minute episode format because both of these plots probably couldve been decent had they been given more time to shine. This episode isn't completely awful but compared to what most of Journeys has delivered it's definitely one of the most forgettable

OVERALL SCORE:
5/10

Last edited:
would you have rather had two full episodes devoted to these plots?
YES, ABSOLUTELY YES.

Ash also seems to have subconsciously struck a Z move pose
A1AB36E8-EFC1-4FBC-B49A-279A36D7D476.jpeg

The only joke that I really disliked in this episode was Ash and Gou casually abandoning Magikarp as it just aimlessly drifts in space for the sake of a gag.
Ash probably thought, it would return once it was hungry :wynaut:

Came into the episode expecting a funny episode and got exactly what I wanted and more!

I loved the absolute wacky absurdity that this episode brought!

The Boldore was a strange addition to add, it can’t be Go’s but he just caught it off-screen since it wasn’t in his Poké Dex and he’s only been to Unova once. Either it’s Ash’s and he just casually brought it, or it belongs to Prof. Sakuragi, since I assume he must own a lot of Pokémon. If it is Ash’s, I’m down for casual cameos/short appearances from Ash’s Pokémon for training purposes.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom