• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN026: Jump! Koiking / Put it On! Yadoking

they should check who wrote the episodes for both raboot catch(when he was a scorchbunny) and the most important ASH FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!
I'm well aware of what episodes he wrote. Doesn't change the fact that 8 times out of 10 I dislike his episodes (and the further he's kept away from battles, the better).

Welcome to what the Japanese consider the height of comedy, where repeating the same joke for ten minutes only makes it funnier
Yeah, I know they have some strange sense of humor sometimes (at least for Westeners). But considering they could have done a two-parter for that great Ash-vs-Korrina battle from last week, it really angers me why they had to give us that crap instead.

I don't know how good this episode is since I haven't watched it yet, but regarding last week, drawing out a 2vs2 (or even 3vs3) battle doesn't a good two-parter make. Reminder that the only gyms that got two episodes in XY were the ones where Ash lost, and Korrina's gym wasn't one of them.

I don't know how good this episode is since I haven't watched it yet, but regarding last week, drawing out a 2vs2 (or even 3vs3) battle doesn't a good two-parter make. Reminder that the only gyms that got two episodes in XY were the ones where Ash lost, and Korrina's gym wasn't one of them.
While drawing out a 2 v 2 would have given me Alola League wartime flashbacks, they could have used the extra episode to flesh out the tournament or even the Ash/Korrina reunion, giving Riolu some development in the process.

Nobody says that they had to draw it out for two entire episodes. The first episode could have been the re-introductions, character development, Goh's catching sprees etc. with the battle beginning in the last 5 minutes, whereas most of the next episode would have given us pure action (properly written action, that is) with some ending treats.

Besides, a 2-parter would have been far better than rushing a battle in the span of 10 minutes with a lot of stuff crammed into the other half.

Sigh... It's time:

POKEMON JOURNEYS EPISODE 26 REVIEW

HAJIKE ICHIBAN NO KINGU

The Plusle
PLUSLE.png

• Team Rocket being awesome and introducing the episode. (Paycheck day I guess)
  • Thank god this was two in one. I cant imagine this being standalone episodes
  • No catching spree . Yay?
  • Okay I will give it... This episode was different and it have his moments... Happy?
  • The VA especially Rica saves this episode.
  • The guest of this week was fun .
  • Engrish... Do you speak it? (I prefer Sonic Engrish but this was Ok).
  • Go was not obnoxious this week.
  • Raboot more like Ramood.
  • No more obligatory Magikarp episode this season (I HOPE) not so sure about Slowpoke.
  • If this is a once in a season or year event Ok but if this happens more than it should, this is gona get bad real quick.
  • Not a bad filler, at least it did not lie to us like episodes 7,8 and 9 is not the worst episode from this series.
  • Machamp breaking his back.
  • The characters keep having really unique designs.
  • Diantha, not my favourite champion but nice seeing some continuity.
  • James closing the door is also a mood.
  • Thanks to the magic of Netflix most of you will be able to skip the episode and forgot that it existed
  • Ahhh Galar where only good things happen.
The Minun
MINUM.png

• As I said before this is a hit or miss situation, some will love it some will hate it, personally I think is funny but is not what I want in Pokemon. However almost every anime series has mad episodes once in a while (Kakashi Mask, the Arale episode in DBS...)
  • Too exagerated aspects like the Magikarp Jump or the muscle thing
  • Watching four idiots playing catch the hat
  • Forced Meta Jokes like reading the episode scripts. The only time I laughed at this joke was fun was in Garfield and Friends and it was due to a whole episode being dedicated to that . Meta Jokes should be subtlle
  • Please no more Muscle jokes
  • I'm a big fan of Bobobo or Kinnikuman anime, but I don't think that some of this jokes are funny at all. Leave that for the 4komas comics
  • Is there a clause to have a Ditto or a Magikarp episode every season? I think that every season has at least a Magikarp episode (Except for Advance Gen Saga I think)
  • Why do they have to remind me the existance of that stupid gatcha

The questions
icon.png

• What they did smoke?
  • Koha.. what was her name again?
  • What was the inspiration behind this?
  • Are we going to see this again?
  • Did that Slowking devolve or something
  • When they will stop shoving off Magikarps of our throat
  • Why this writter is so bad at his job?
  • Can we get to the plot already? Ahh next week Ok
Conclusions
question-thought-coloring-book-author-game-homer-simpson-doughnuts-png-clip-art.png

Well this is a tricky one... I did not like the comedy but I understand what they were trying to do. An humorous episode with two of the funiest pokémon. I appreciate the effort but in Pokemon I want to enjoy other things battles ,adventures but forced comedy is not one of those. However I will try to keep an open mind and say that this is not horrible but is not as good as others say.

I hope that this is not an staple in the new direction of the anime. Insane Comedy is welcome but always in small dosifications. I hope we do not see and episode like that in some time and if we do I hope atleat that is not forced.

My puntuation is going to be 2 1/2 SlowGous

retardgo1.png
retardgo1.png
retardgo2.png

Attachments

• question-thought-coloring-book-author-game-homer-simpson-doughnuts-png-clip-art.png
    question-thought-coloring-book-author-game-homer-simpson-doughnuts-png-clip-art.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 49
Re-watched the episode and I think I mellowed out on my opinion of it though not even by that much. And no, it had nothing to do with the subs (before someone says something about me not understanding what was said the first time). Just re-watching in general tends to help, especially when you get to pay attention to the details and nuance (or lack of each) properly which you can’t do in a blink-and-you-miss-it live stream.

Pros:
  • I didn't feel TRio was pointless in this episode at all, if anything then I'm actually glad they were in it and got just the right amount of screen time to keep their scenes interesting since I definitely didn't want more bloated filler content or to have them thrown in as 'villains' for the sake of providing some cheap and unnecessary conflict. The only people who are allowed to do 4th wall breaks in the anime should be TRio, which was kind of cheeky with that Ash-Goh ball throw mock-up and title reading. Love the small references to their Alola business, James' ball collection and the Diantha magazine (though if this is the only way we get continuity then to hell with all this, JN018 and the last episode should have proved that by now, including it full on is the best way to go).
  • Moving on to the episode itself, the first part was not that bad and even then I only say this because I liked the Magikarp Jump game (if I never played it then I would have a different mindset here). The gags in it ranged from slightly humorous to absurd with all the training montages, the weights resulting in Machamp breaking its back, the Kaio-ken and subsequent launch into space, losing on a technicality etc. but thankfully it didn't go overboard with the meme-ness. That eulogy by Ash was somewhat dark and out of character of him though, it doesn't feel right to have Ash talk about the supposed death of a Pokemon like that.
  • That is Ash's Boldore even if it wasn't stated explicitly otherwise (we all know the infamous issue on Bulbepedia in which Korrina's Mienshao and Mienfoo are considered separate because wiki editors always want literal onscreen confirmation instead of applying logic to the scenario, or where Torracat and Incineroar activating Blaze is not being written as such). Yes, I know that it's supposed to be a reference to the Magikarp Jump's Push Training with the Boldore, but who else has a Boldore out of everyone at Sakuragi Lab? So like Daren said, it's an Occam's Razor situation and the only logical and rational explanation as well as the quick availability of a Boldore on short notice, is if it's Ash's and is only disproved if there's evidence against the contrary (which there isn't).
  • I'm actually glad that this split-episode format was used here because it got two pointless fillers out of the way and compressed them down into one. I can't imagine these two plot points being expanded into full episodes and how much of a chore it would be to watch those. In the end, Raboot's and James' reaction signifies my overall reaction to this episode. Flabbergasted, unimpressed and full on "nope".
Cons:
  • First of, the format. Though I did say that I'm glad the split format was used here, it should be kept to a rare minimum since this type of format won't work in excess and should only be used to get fillers out of the way. Pokemon is supposed to be plot/narrative driven as it always has been and it's already messy enough with the age issue, so this format won't resonate well with the anime overall as it only works for non-plot/narrative driven media like Shin-chan or Simpsons.
  • Although I liked the first part, I felt that there was a bit too much toilet and body based humor in the first part for my liking, which kind of feels very off when compared to the rest of the anime (I know we've gotten some shots with Kiawe displaying his 6-packs but it felt natural with him being always topless and all). The second part though, was an absolute disaster which I felt that I would've been better off skipping entirely. You might as well remove the Slowpoke, the Slowking and replace the Shellder cap with some generic mind control / brainwashing device and nothing will change in it. It just boiled down to the said brainwashing cap causing characters to act in strange and weird ways with unfunny 'jokes' followed by over exaggerated actions, and the second half being about a pass-a-hat game (with the difference being that you don't want it to land on your head). There was nothing even remotely interesting about it unlike the first part which was based on a game. I don't see how anyone can find one joke that is repeated and beaten like a dead horse to be funny (jokes are only funny if they surprise you and are kept unique). There was also the fact that this episode had the misfortune (or is it?) of being placed right between two plot relevant episodes, out of which the preceding one kind of underdelivered and felt rushed and in dire need of a continuation in this one, which kind of makes this episode even more antagonizing. Maybe if it had released in a different time frame like between 23-24 or after 29...
Additional:
  • When James suggested to do some "training", why would they train the lootbox Pokemon? Shouldn't trainers be training their own Pokemon? What's wrong with their Pokemon to the point they're missing or out of the action.
  • I hope they retain the sharper and slightly longer hairstyle that Ash got when he became Satoking. The shorter and rounder hairstyle they introduced with Alola onwards seems off and not as good as the old ones.
  • Meowth is an absolute thug for erasing Persian from the Giovanni poster. At least we know it still exists now, as well as Meowth's fantasy still being alive.
  • Some people have called this the “best” episode and while I respect their opinions, it feels like a severe over exaggeration (and even somewhat trollish in a few cases) that is kind of disrespectful to actually good and plot relevant episodes that had emotional weight or high stakes in it.

Verdict: Well, if I had to rate each half separately then it would be 5.5/10 for the first one and 0/10 for the second part. Overall, it's going to be 2.5/10 though, and here's hoping Fujisaku is given a lengthy vacation for another 20 episodes or so.

Last edited:
Well...I'm speechless. This was the weirdest thing i've ever watch. Yes, I've like some of the joke in the beginning, remembering me of some dragonball joke. That is for the magikarp part, the Slowking one was absolutly disgusting. The best part was magikarp return and the joke about ramen at the start, the rest was worst than lame.

I watched it again, it's not bad other than Ash having some OOC moments and the second half getting too repetitive. I would have loved to see TR wearing the Yadocrown, that would have kept it more interesting.

Was Space Magikarp a reference to that Pidgey episode from Johto or is there some common source for both? This ep had a surprising number of callbacks, especially for a filler.

TR were solid gold, especially James closing the door at the end. As I've mentioned before I'm not too keen on split episodes unless they get a good amount of screentime.

I’m late to the party but, I guess I should give my 2 cents here. So, I had the absolute bare amount of expectations regarding this episode. I usually skip this type of gag filler, but I was in a bad mood and really looking for some distraction, and this episode had a convenient timing.

The format is okay for fillers if that means that it reduces filler episodes by restricting them to 10 minutes each,

I'd say the first part is the vastly better one. The chubby Magikarp slimming down with those training montages with Ash and Go helping was okay. Since I played my fair share of Magikarp jump I got all those references. Even though I don’t really care much about boldore it’d be nice if it is Ash's.

Muscle!Go and Ash are pretty weird... but it was funny too I wish real life slimming down and toning up was this quick. The Magikarp Bodybuilder was pretty arrogant, and I’m guessing the not-using-his-whole-power thing was an intimidation tactic.

But Go revealing those extra weights was priceless,
the weights resulting in Machamp breaking its back,
This is actually one of the few times where I’ve actually laughed out loud uncontrollably at the anime. It was really helpful since I wasn’t in a good mood at the time at all.
Ash's Eulogy just sealed the deal.

Initially the Slowking episode was promising, I really wish Ash had realised his dreams of turning Go into a Slowbro, since we had plenty of Slowking representation but no human Slowbro shenanigans. Ash speaking English was golden but I wish there was more of it... The pas-the-shellder thing became old quickly and was way too drawn out though.
Why didn’t they feature a Galarian Slowpoke? It’d have been a great advertisement tool.

Re-watched the episode and I think I mellowed out on my opinion of it though not even by that much. And no, it had nothing to do with the subs (before someone says something about me not understanding what was said the first time). Just re-watching in general tends to help, especially when you get to pay attention to the details and nuance (or lack of each) properly which you can’t do in a blink-and-you-miss-it live stream.

Pros:
  • I didn't feel TRio was pointless in this episode at all, if anything then I'm actually glad they were in it and got just the right amount of screen time to keep their scenes interesting since I definitely didn't want more bloated filler content or to have them thrown in as 'villains' for the sake of providing some cheap and unnecessary conflict. The only people who are allowed to do 4th wall breaks in the anime should be TRio, which was kind of cheeky with that Ash-Goh ball throw mock-up and title reading. Love the small references to their Alola business, James' ball collection and the Diantha magazine (though if this is the only way we get continuity then to hell with all this, JN018 and the last episode should have proved that by now, including it full on is the best way to go).
  • Moving on to the episode itself, the first part was not that bad and even then I only say this because I liked the Magikarp Jump game (if I never played it then I would have a different mindset here). The gags in it ranged from slightly humorous to absurd with all the training montages, the weights resulting in Machamp breaking its back, the Kaio-ken and subsequent launch into space, losing on a technicality etc. but thankfully it didn't go overboard with the meme-ness. That eulogy by Ash was somewhat dark and out of character of him though, it doesn't feel right to have Ash talk about the supposed death of a Pokemon like that.
  • That is Ash's Boldore even if it wasn't stated explicitly otherwise (we all know the infamous issue on Bulbepedia in which Korrina's Mienshao and Mienfoo are considered separate because wiki editors always want literal onscreen confirmation instead of applying logic to the scenario, or where Torracat and Incineroar activating Blaze is not being written as such). Yes, I know that it's supposed to be a reference to the Magikarp Jump's Push Training with the Boldore, but who else has a Boldore out of everyone at Sakuragi Lab? So like Daren said, it's an Occam's Razor situation and the only logical and rational explanation as well as the quick availability of a Boldore on short notice, is if it's Ash's and is only disproved if there's evidence against the contrary (which there isn't).
  • I'm actually glad that this split-episode format was used here because it got two pointless fillers out of the way and compressed them down into one. I can't imagine these two plot points being expanded into full episodes and how much of a chore it would be to watch those. In the end, Raboot's and James' reaction signifies my overall reaction to this episode. Flabbergasted, unimpressed and full on "nope".
Cons:
  • First of, the format. Though I did say that I'm glad the split format was used here, it should be kept to a rare minimum since this type of format won't work in excess and should only be used to get fillers out of the way. Pokemon is supposed to be plot/narrative driven as it always has been and it's already messy enough with the age issue, so this format won't resonate well with the anime overall as it only works for non-plot/narrative driven media like Shin-chan or Simpsons.
  • Although I liked the first part, I felt that there was a bit too much toilet and body based humor in the first part for my liking, which kind of feels very off when compared to the rest of the anime (I know we've gotten some shots with Kiawe displaying his 6-packs but it felt natural with him being always topless and all). The second part though, was an absolute disaster which I felt that I would've been better off skipping entirely. You might as well remove the Slowpoke, the Slowking and replace the Shellder cap with some generic mind control / brainwashing device and nothing will change in it. It just boiled down to the said brainwashing cap causing characters to act in strange and weird ways with unfunny 'jokes' followed by over exaggerated actions, and the second half being about a pass-a-hat game (with the difference being that you don't want it to land on your head). There was nothing even remotely interesting about it unlike the first part which was based on a game. I don't see how anyone can find one joke that is repeated and beaten like a dead horse to be funny (jokes are only funny if they surprise you and are kept unique). There was also the fact that this episode had the misfortune (or is it?) of being placed right between two plot relevant episodes, out of which the preceding one kind of underdelivered and felt rushed and in dire need of a continuation in this one, which kind of makes this episode even more antagonizing. Maybe if it had released in a different time frame like between 23-24 or after 29...
Additional:
  • When James suggested to do some "training", why would they train the lootbox Pokemon? Shouldn't trainers be training their own Pokemon? What's wrong with their Pokemon to the point they're missing or out of the action.
  • I hope they retain the sharper and slightly longer hairstyle that Ash got when he became Satoking. The shorter and rounder hairstyle they introduced with Alola onwards seems off and not as good as the old ones.
  • Meowth is an absolute thug for erasing Persian from the Giovanni poster. At least we know it still exists now, as well as Meowth's fantasy still being alive.
  • Some people have called this the “best” episode and while I respect their opinions, it feels like a severe over exaggeration (and even somewhat trollish in a few cases) that is kind of disrespectful to actually good and plot relevant episodes that had emotional weight or high stakes in it.

Verdict: Well, if I had to rate each half separately then it would be 5.5/10 for the first one and 0/10 for the second part. Overall, it's going to be 2.5/10 though, and here's hoping Fujisaku is given a lengthy vacation for another 20 episodes or so.
There is toilet humour in this episode?

Ok Sooo LETS REWIEW!!!
The First Part Was Funny. Magikarp Training to be Buff Against Ash's Boldore was Pretty Good. Then It Lost Cuz It Flew to the Atmosphere :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 8/10
The Second Half was Boring REALLY?? After The First Part we Get Them Brainwashed by A Stupid Crown:bulbaFacepalm:4/10

6/10

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom