• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN027: Legends of Heroes! Dande's Greatest Battle!!

I'm so happy Ash caught that Galarian Farfetch'd, really hope that means Goh is getting Sobble next week.
Good God I hope not. It wouldn’t be as much of an issue if Go were a more traditional trainer but he’s not any any Pokémon he catches suffers from stunted development due to the fact that they rarely get used and most of the time are just background fixtures. A regional starter doesn’t deserve that.

It's hilarious. Some guys on Twitter is starting to say that Ash will trade Farfetch to Gou. They're really desperate.
Farfetch'd follows Ash because it wants to get stronger.
Ash's invitation line to Farfetch'd in episode 27 is the same one from the special PV: "You could grow stronger with my team".

I had a feeling there would be a bait n switch with Farfetch'd/Sobble. I'm happy with how this turned out, Ash already has four Water starters rotting away so I didn't see a need for another one. The main strength of this series is how it does away with tradition and I'm happy that Ash is using different Pokemon that aren't really similar to ones he's used in the past. I think it cuts down on redundancy within his team, and frankly makes it more likely that he will start using some reserves later down the line. And for Sobble fans, I'm pretty sure it will still join Raboot as a series mascot under Gou.

Having two fighting types on his team is interesting though, I hope Farfetch'd isn't ignored in favor of Riolu/Lucario.

This episode can be summed up as the virgin Goh vs the Chad Ash.

The Pros:
-Riolu got stronger
-Charizard has a different moveset, this will help battles with him seem less boring.
-I like how Farfetch'd's cry sounded like "come on" even though it's just saying its name
-The new music was *lit*
-
Farfetch'd faints standing up, I hope this stays a trend

The Cons
-Dynamax battles are really boring
-Sobble baiting

Overall Rating: A-

I also like the shield wall during the fight, it was a nice bit of worldbuilding. It would also be nice to see in the future Farfetch'd challenging some of Ash's Pokemon back at the lab in order to get stronger.

Last edited:
...I'd like to say that I was one of the few who was saying Ash would catch that particular bird. And he did so...yeah.

Also surprised to see such a moveset change up with Leon. You don't really see that sort of drastic change on the move sets that often.

I do remember there were some discussions in the past about who would catch the Galarian Farfetch'd, Goh or Ash. I didn't really formed an opinion back then, but when I saw the trainer in this episode with the beaten up Chewtle, I was on side Ash. And when we saw Farfetch'd himself, I was sure of it. Come on!

With all respect for Goh, but a Pokémon who really loves battling isn't suited for him (poor Scyter, Goh should really compete in another small tournament again. With Raboot, because I do think they will do a beter job this time).

Ash team is nice, next to the loyal Pikachu, we have:

Dragonite, the gentil giant. A real huger (I really want it to meet Muk). But also a wise Pokémon and really serieus when fighting.

Gengar, the trickster. Doing it's own thing most of the time, but also strong in battle. In contrast with Dragonite, who is a real tank, it's more of a glass canon. But a canon of is.

Riolu, the infant. Still has a lot to learn, but it showed huge progress today. Wants to be a strong battler. Has a good bond with Ash. Sometimes he can go into battle without thinking. Like in it's debute episode.

Farfetch'd, the challenger. Just like Riolu a Pokémon who wants to fight. Is always searching for a challenge. But he seems to be more patient than the youngling. Come on!

Mimey, the back-up and trainingpartner. I don't think we will see him in battle much, but a strong battler and a good back-up member. Helps with training, but I'm wondering now Riolu knows more moves and now Farfetch'd is on the team, the 2 fighting types will not spar with eachother more.

Charizard's moveset changing fits in with other differences about Journeys that can be attributed to Sw/Sh features.
*Gou's capture sprees gave Scorbunny XP so it could evolve without too much battling.
*Ash is capturing strong and fully evolved Pokémon because the wild area has them hanging around.
*The move relearner is no longer a special service but freely available in every Pokémon center.

So I guess the show decided to do the two-in-one format this week as well!

OK first of all, Dande vs. Kibana. That...sure was a battle alright *yawn*. We knew the Champion was going to win so it really felt like we were just going through the motions here. Oh look, here's a new Pokémon. Oh look, they're both Rita Repulsa-ing about. Oh look, Lizardon wins using the same fire bird thing it won the Wataru battle with. Whoo. It also doesn't help that, as far as this TV series is concerned, Kibana is a brand new character with zero backstory who just kind of comes and goes. Replace the Dragon-Type Gym Leader with literally any other Trainer in the Galar region and the results would've been the same. Also, Daimax battles are boring.

The second story was the better of the two. It's the type of new get episode we've seen about a dozen times already but at least Satoshi got a new Pokémon out of it instead of handing it over to Gou. The Sword & Shield story set-ups were fine and all but I've seen this franchise set up storylines only to abandon them too many times by this point to get really excited about this. Let's just wait and see how things turn out.

The narrator's ending line where he says something like "...and then there's Gou, who didn't manage to get anything" and then Gou makes an annoyed face and runs off was kind of perfect.

Man, that battle was supposed to hype up Leon, but it only got across that his reputation will be cracked if he ever has a champion level battle outside of Galar. His Charizard seems more dependent on gigantamax than Alain’s was on mega evolution.

Everyone panicking over Ash getting an Angry Bird over Sobble, but I’m actually very chill about it. For one because I don’t like Sobble much in the first place, but also because I really enjoy these unpredictable captures. Compared to how scripted Ash’s Alola team felt, him not just catching the “obvious” picks are more satisfying than him getting starters.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom