• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN027: Legends of Heroes! Dande's Greatest Battle!!

G-Max Wildfire actually is a five-turn move. But frankly, I'm still wondering how this is going to work in practice given the fact that Dynamax /G-Max only lasts for three turns.
My point was how it was portrayed in the anime as repeatedly striking an opponent without them getting any chance to react, making it blatantly overpowered. The only way to even avoid that move would be to hide underground which in itself is a disadvantage given how much the Max'd Pokemon tend to make the ground quake.

... and please don't start on about Cynthia. Anime Brandon is much more stronger than her for that matter.

My point was how it was portrayed in the anime as repeatedly striking an opponent without them getting any chance to react, making it blatantly overpowered.
Perfect example of bad writing. It's the same with Go being able to catch Pokemon effortlessly

... and please don't start on about Cynthia. Anime Brandon felt more stronger than her for that matter.
We could analyse that in detail but I'll do you the favor and won't do it (although I'd love to :LOL:)

One thing that just occurred to me. Is this the first episode in this series where Ash gets a new Pokémon and Go doesn’t capture anything? If so, I feel like this should be a continued thing. While this episode wasn’t about Ash, If Ash does end up being the episode focus, it should belong to Ash alone as they don’t tend to do it the other way around when it’s a Go focused episode. This way, they don’t detract from the main plot of the episode like what happened in the Korrina episode.

One thing that just occurred to me. Is this the first episode in this series where Ash gets a new Pokémon and Go doesn’t capture anything? If so, I feel like this should be a continued thing. While this episode wasn’t about Ash, If Ash does end up being the episode focus, it should belong to Ash alone as they don’t tend to do it the other way around when it’s a Go focused episode. This way, they don’t detract from the main plot of the episode like what happened in the Korrina episode.

I don't recall Goh catching anything in Gengar's capture episode. So there's that.

It's late but I'll post my thoughts anyway.

Raihan vs. Leon was an average battle but it's nice to see Leon changing up his moves. I hope we'll see some of that on Ash's side.

Nice setup for Galar plot with Sonia and the hero statue that totally isn't reminiscent of Dragon Quest. Ash catching Farfetch'd makes a lot of sense if they're setting him up to be the "sword hero".

And on that note, Ash getting Farfetch'd was a nice twist. Like Riolu he's a "loves to fight" Pokemon, but with a very different personality - I can see them having a sensei-student relationship. Bonus for Go actually battling Farfetch'd, it was brief but at least it was something.

Mixed feelings on Go getting Sobble (lol bait). Hopefully being a current gen starter Go will keep him on hand instead of leaving him at the lab. It'd be nice if they give him an actual Galar team, they really need to start doing something more substantial with him. Edit: I'm loving these Local Go Ruins Everything avatars.

Last edited:
Forgot to post a review, should probably do so before the next episode drops in a few more hours. Most of my thoughts have already been parroted several times here, but eh.

Anyway, the Raihan vs Leon match. Despite being a relatively-short 1v1 battle, I thought it was quite decent and enjoyable to watch. I really liked how Leon switched up his Charizard's moveset so that he can more effectively deal with his opponent. This adds more variety to his battles (which I expect we'll see more of in the future), and it shows that four-move limit is very much still a thing in the anime. Both Pokemon using super-effective moves against each other is another plus for this battle (watching a direct Stone Edge hit on a Charizard was quite satisfying, even if it ultimately didn't matter). This episode also marks the debut of new Gen VIII moves being showcased in the anime, with Duraludon using Steel Beam and G. Farfetch'd using Brutal Swing later on in this episode. As for my gripes with this battle, the animation was noticeably subpar compared to previous battles, G-Max Wildfire was once again stupidly OP for no real reason, and Duraludon having absolutely no Dragon-type moves at all was just downright dumb. At least Lance's Gyarados knew Dragon Dance.

Not much to say about the Sonia section. The Galar lore exposition coupled with the Rose cameo seem to indicate that the writers are slowly building up towards an eventual Galar arc, but I don't expect much to happen anytime soon. At least we got to watch Sonia being cute and stuff, so that's something.

Now for the second highlight of this episode: Galarian Farfetch'd. First of all, I just wanna say that I'm kinda disappointed at how Galarian Farfetch'd was portrayed to be straight-up stronger than Kantonian Farfetch'd. Yeah, this could just be the writers once again showing that Gou's a crappy battler, but I would've liked it more if Gou at least tried to showcase Kantonian Farfetch'd's strengths over its Galarian counterpart like, I dunno, maybe the fact that it's a Flying-type? The Night Slash clash was kinda cool and all, but c'mon Gou, you've shown that you understood type match-ups before, so maybe ordering your Flying-type Pokemon to use a Dark-type move against a Fighting-type opponent wasn't the best idea in the world?

Anyway, onto the Riolu battle. The fact that Riolu already has a full moveset in such a short span of time is a testament to Ash's abilities as a trainer. I really liked how all of the moves in its moveset have their own purposes/roles (Vacuum Wave for long-range, Force Palm for close-range, Double Team for utility/dodging, and Reversal as a powerful finisher at low health). G. Farfetch'd's moveset is quite interesting too. As aforementioned, it knows a newly introduced move in Gen VIII: Brutal Swing. That's not surprising on its own, but I do find it interesting that the only two moves it's used so far are Dark-type moves, which kinda allows it to fulfill a different role on Ash's team compared to Riolu, despite both mons being Fighting-types.

Oh yeah, Ash catching G. Farfetch'd. That's something that I wasn't really expecting in this episode, so t'was a neat surprise. As I mentioned above, G. Farfetch'd can fulfill a different role on Ash's team compared to Riolu (especially once both mons inevitably evolve), so I don't mind the type overlap, but it's still surprising nonetheless. Overall, this was a pretty decent episode. Definitely looking forward to the next episode and the community's reaction to Gou catching Sobble.

EDIT: Brutal Swing was introduced in Gen VII, not Gen VIII. Oh well, we still have Steel Beam, at least.

Last edited:
Forgot to post a review, should probably do so before the next episode drops in a few more hours. Most of my thoughts have already been parroted several times here, but eh.

Anyway, the Raihan vs Leon match. Despite being a relatively-short 1v1 battle, I thought it was quite decent and enjoyable to watch. I really liked how Leon switched up his Charizard's moveset so that he can more effectively deal with his opponent. This adds more variety to his battles (which I expect we'll see more of in the future), and it shows that four-move limit is very much still a thing in the anime. Both Pokemon using super-effective moves against each other is another plus for this battle (watching a direct Stone Edge hit on a Charizard was quite satisfying, even if it ultimately didn't matter). This episode also marks the debut of new Gen VIII moves being showcased in the anime, with Duraludon using Steel Beam and G. Farfetch'd using Brutal Swing later on in this episode. As for my gripes with this battle, the animation was noticeably subpar compared to previous battles, G-Max Wildfire was once again stupidly OP for no real reason, and Duraludon having absolutely no Dragon-type moves at all was just downright dumb. At least Lance's Gyarados knew Dragon Dance.

Not much to say about the Sonia section. The Galar lore exposition coupled with the Rose cameo seem to indicate that the writers are slowly building up towards an eventual Galar arc, but I don't expect much to happen anytime soon. At least we got to watch Sonia being cute and stuff, so that's something.

Now for the second highlight of this episode: Galarian Farfetch'd. First of all, I just wanna say that I'm kinda disappointed at how Galarian Farfetch'd was portrayed to be straight-up stronger than Kantonian Farfetch'd. Yeah, this could just be the writers once again showing that Gou's a crappy battler, but I would've liked it more if Gou at least tried to showcase Kantonian Farfetch'd's strengths over its Galarian counterpart like, I dunno, maybe the fact that it's a Flying-type? The Night Slash clash was kinda cool and all, but c'mon Gou, you've shown that you understood type match-ups before, so maybe ordering your Flying-type Pokemon to use a Dark-type move against a Fighting-type opponent wasn't the best idea in the world?

Anyway, onto the Riolu battle. The fact that Riolu already has a full moveset in such a short span of time is a testament to Ash's abilities as a trainer. I really liked how all of the moves in its moveset have their own purposes/roles (Vacuum Wave for long-range, Force Palm for close-range, Double Team for utility/dodging, and Reversal as a powerful finisher at low health). G. Farfetch'd's moveset is quite interesting too. As aforementioned, it knows a newly introduced move in Gen VIII: Brutal Swing. That's not surprising on its own, but I do fine it interesting that the only two moves it's used so far are Dark-type moves, which kinda allows it to fulfill a different role on Ash's team compared to Riolu, despite both mons being Fighting-types.

Oh yeah, Ash catching G. Farfetch'd. That's something that I wasn't really expecting in this episode, so t'was a neat surprise. As I mentioned above, G. Farfetch'd can fulfill a different role on Ash's team compared to Riolu (especially once both mons inevitably evolve), so I don't mind the type overlap, but it's still surprising nonetheless. Overall, this was a pretty decent episode. Definitely looking forward to the next episode and the community's reaction to Gou catching Sobble.

Brutal Swing is a Gen VII introduced move

So is Hop then and possibly also Mustard.
There’s no indication about Hop and Mustard. Only Bede’s role so far has gone to someone else. I think Hop will get an episode or two like Hau.

If they want to feature Mustard it could be that Ash has a losing streak and goes to the Isle of Armor to train.

I really hope they don't try to put random game characters again, just for the sake of putting them in anime. But knowing their past, they'll probably add him in the last minute like Hau.

It took over 43 months for Satoshi/Ash to catch he's first regional variant/form, but it only has 2 Dark-type moves while the Pokémon is pure Fighting-type, so no Stab bonus for it. So now I waiting for episode where he's Galarian Farfetch'd will learn first Fighting move. :p

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom