• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN028: Sobbing Messon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask. How are people on the Serebii forum reacting to this? I haven't been there yet today and I'm kind of hesitant to sift through all the posts that have probably been made there just to see how they're treating everything that has happened.

I have to ask. How are people on the Serebii forum reacting to this? I haven't been there yet today and I'm kind of hesitant to sift through all the posts that have probably been made there just to see how they're treating everything that has happened.

Kinda mixed. A bunch of people are understandably surprised at Farfetch'd capture and upset with the implication of Goh catching Sobble. Some are happy Ash caught a regional variant Pokemon and are indifferent to Goh possibly catching Sobble.

Kinda mixed. A bunch of people are understandably surprised at Farfetch'd capture and upset with the implication of Goh catching Sobble. Some are happy Ash caught a regional variant Pokemon and are indifferent to Goh possibly catching Sobble.
Kinda says something when you’re seeing a lot of negative to indifference views of the situation but really not much positive.

Kinda says something when you’re seeing a lot of negative to indifference views of the situation but really not much positive.

There are a few people holding out on Ash getting Sobble, referencing other series where he caught Pokemon in back-to-back episodes. With the way the most recent episode ended (the narrator somewhat ribbing Goh on not catching anything and with Sobble making its debut directly after) and the preview's focusing on Goh more than Ash, I don't like their chances.

There are a few people holding out on Ash getting Sobble, referencing other series where he caught Pokemon in back-to-back episodes. With the way the most recent episode ended (the narrator somewhat ribbing Goh on not catching anything and with Sobble making its debut directly after) and the preview's focusing on Goh more than Ash, I don't like their chances.

But then there is official magazine scan though

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbClcDzUwAAx3F3?format=png&name=900x900

What kind of companions will he gain on his further adventures?!
It says Satoshi meets Sobble in Galar soon (Not even a mention about Goh). Companions is the keyword here (Unless Ash gets Morpeko), but its weird it says companions and it shows Sobble (And Galarian Farfetch'd is just a surprise capture.

There is also the egg scan we got, which implied Ash would get either Riolu or Sobble out of the egg because it was blue (So that makes 2 scans in an official magazine directly tying Sobble to Ash).

It just seems weird they would tease Sobble for Ash in 2 official scans if he isn't getting it. That makes absolutely zero sense.

Last edited:
But then there is official magazine scan though

What kind of companions will he gain on his further adventures?!

It says Satoshi meets Sobble in Galar soon (Not even a mention about Goh). Companions is the keyword here (Unless Ash gets Morpeko), but its weird it says companions and it shows Sobble (And Galarian Farfetch'd is just a surprise capture.

There is also the egg scan we got, which implied Ash would get either Riolu or Sobble out of the egg because it was blue (So that makes 2 scans in an official magazine directly tying Sobble to Ash).

It just seems weird they would tease Sobble for Ash in 2 official scans if he isn't getting it. That makes absolutely zero sense.

If you're talking about the headline on the Messon's episode summary, it reads "What kind of companion is joining in the upcoming adventure?"

Yeah, seems like either Satoshi or Gou're indeed getting Messon.

If you're talking about the headline on the Messon's episode summary, it reads "What kind of companion is joining in the upcoming adventure?"

Yeah, seems like either Satoshi or Gou're indeed getting Messon.
Though that is extremely misleading when the article raises the question on a page that features Ash and all his current Pokémon. At that point, it’s practically scaling towards false advertisement.

Though that is extremely misleading when the article raises the question on a page that features Ash and all his current Pokémon. At that point, it’s practically scaling towards false advertisement.
Being honest I have no idea. I don't really keep up with those scans or news, so when I get to see them is when I'm browsing through Bulbapedia's forums.

Regarding false advertisement, who remembers the "Rocket-dan's final battle" BS they kep during the Mt bringing up during the Meloetta arc in BW? Course that was almost 10 years ago, but if they were able to do such a thing, lying in the highlight on an episode's summary seems like nothing after all.

Being honest I have no idea. I don't really keep up with those scans or news, so when I get to see them is when I'm browsing through Bulbapedia's forums.

Regarding false advertisement, who remembers the "Rocket-dan's final battle" BS they kep during the Mt bringing up during the Meloetta arc in BW? Course that was almost 10 years ago, but if they were able to do such a thing, lying in the highlight on an episode's summary seems like nothing after all.
Well if the rumors are true, BW was intended to be the grand finale for Team Rocket so at the time that the article was done it was intended to be the truth. Something like this on the other hand, the episode was written long before these scans and the article were released. There’s really no way to spin it, that this was a bait and switch at best and false advertisement at worst.

Another possibility I thought about the potential scenario of Goh catching Sobble:

So far, one of the biggest flaws presented about Goh character-wise is his inability to account for others. He's so used to being on his own/not having many friends that we've seen him not be super emotionally available or understanding of others' wants or needs. Considering Sobble has the whole "its tears makes others cry" thing going on in addition to being seemingly quite emotional and not super confident, perhaps becoming one of Goh's Pokemon will begin to further help Goh understand what it means to work with others and adjust to their needs instead of just trying to satisfy his own.

They kind of started that with Raboot after it evolved, but it hasn't been touched on quite as much since then. If the writers are able to use Sobble to further develop Goh's character (which, in turn, should serve to also give Sobble more screentime) then this will end up being a capture that ultimately makes sense to me.

If not (which is also highly likely) then I'll just be disappointed lol.

If I had to give my opinion, from someone who's watching only the most important episodes in the new series so far, I'd say Satoshi's getting it.

I mean, it's becoming clear to me that OLM wants another big team for him (like in BW), so he's gonna eventually pass the 6 Pokemon mark easy. Since Gou had Hibanny already, I'd imagine Satoshi to get both Messon and Sarunori (similar to Alola and Shin'ou). And like I said before, I don't really trust those magazines, sometimes they can be very misleading, therefore I also don't discard the option of neither getting it (not now at least, Messon could start following them and being caught later on).

After watching the episode with subtitles, it looks like Go watched Ash talk about believing in a Pokémon and never giving up in a battle while he was fighting Farfetch’d, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Go not giving up trying to save Sobble from Team Rocket, despite Magnezone’s (presumably) Metal Sound hurting him, plus the speech it looks like Go is telling to Sobble while he hides will probably inspire him.

If they can do it right it can be good.

Also looks like Morpeko is eating the TRio’s food. They might catch it, but it’ll probably just be put in the Gacha Machine.

The end of the last episode makes it obvious that Go is getting Sobble. And the last time Ash got Pokemon back-to-back was in Kanto, no? Go is the Pokemon catcher in this series, not Ash. Not to mention that the initial preview from April lifted the "Ash welcomes a new Pokemon" dialogue from Farfetch'd's capture, even though Sobble was the one highlighted. Yes, they were tricking us, but it was always odd that they didn't just confirm Sobble's ownership if it was meant to be that obvious (not to mention that there are at least two instances of magazines placing Sobble on Go's side).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom