• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN028: Sobbing Messon

Some early thoughts regarding this episode:

1. While I'm personally indifferent as to who gets to catch and keep Sobble, the entire Sobble plot in this episode felt... kinda meh. I'm fine with Sobble being caught instantly with one Pokeball since it was portrayed as a weak Pokemon throughout the entirety of this episode, but I'm not ok with the Pokeball landing in the first place due to pure dumb luck. And no, let's not pretend that Gou's "amazing" ball-throwing skills helped him net a direct hit on a completely-invisible Pokemon that he wasn't even sure was there, because if that's how skill interacts with luck, then you'll never see Focus Blast miss in competitive.

2. The rest of the Sobble plot was actually pretty decent (it's the standard "new Pokemon tries battling, fails, runs away, trainer go looks for it and tries to bond with it" formula, but it's executed quite well here)... until Team Rocket got their hands on Sobble. Sorry, but most of this bit felt... quite stupid, IMO. For whatever reason, Metal Sound gave the Rocket Trio so much plot armor that the best thing the protagonists could do was just stand there and endure it (thank god Korrina's Lucario didn't use Metal Sound a few episodes ago, or else Ash would've been f***ked). Meanwhile, Gou tries to Talk no Jutsu his way to Sobble's heart... which not only worked, but also gave Sobble super-strength out of nowhere so that it could bend the bars of the cage that it was trapped in and escape (jokes aside, judging by the Rocket Trio's reaction, there's probably an actual reason as to why the cage was so weak, but it's probably a crappy reason). And to top it all off, the protagonists were able to protect themselves from Sobble's tears by wearing a bunch of goggles that they seemingly pulled out of thin air, but it apparently makes sense because the goggles came from a random flashback that was also pulled out of thin air. 10/10, solid story-telling.

3. Just like the Resort Area episode, this felt like an episode that would've been much, much shorter if the protagonists actually brought more Pokemon with them instead of just the handful that require obligatory screentime (seriously, I still see no real reason why Ash doesn't have Gengar and Dragonite with him at all times). Actually, forget the other Pokemon, there's absolutely no excuse for why both Farfetch'd didn't participate in the battle against the Rocket trio even though they both already appeared at the very beginning of the episode. Pikachu, Riolu and Raboot were already "ganging up" on the Rocket trio's two gacha Pokemon in a 3vs2 (and that's excluding Sobble's interference later on), so having both birds join the battle wouldn't hurt either.

4. As stupid as the Rocket Trio bit was, I will say that the "fake eyes don't cry" joke that they did with Magnezone and Armaldo was pure gold. I completely forgot that the big red eye on Magnezone isn't its actual eye. Definitely wasn't expecting that to be the reason why both of those Pokemon were chosen to be the gacha Pokemon this episode, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

5. More screentime for Galar Pokemon is always welcome. Both Indeedee got their proper debut this episode; I was getting worried that Ash and Gou wouldn't check their Pokedex entries before leaving Galar. The surprise appearance from Silicobra was nice, too.

6. And finally, speaking of Galar Pokemon, I sincerely hope that the Morpeko will either become a recurring character or end up on the Rocket Trio's team eventually. Seriously, that adorable yet feisty little fellow is perfect for them.

Metal Sound
Actually, it was Supersonic.
6. And finally, speaking of Galar Pokemon, I sincerely hope that the Morpeko will entire become a recurring character or end up on the Rocket Trio's team eventually. Seriously, that adorable yet feisty little fellow is perfect for them.
I hope so too. This definitely had some running gag Pokémon wibes to it.

Funny how last week's overdiscussed question "Who's catching Messon?" got cleared within the first 6 minutes of the episode xDD

Idk, since I'm not really keeping up with this series some things got me confused, like what's that lazy Rotton Zukan Trio has? But the rest I understood just fine.

I've been watching some episodes of OS, AG, DP, BW and XY as well, and I just can't get used to Trio's design from SM and PM 2019. I mean, while their PM 2019 design isn't as bad as SM, it still looks weird. In this episode Kojirou looked like a bishounen character for example.

like what's that lazy Rotton Zukan Trio has?
They got it from Giovanni, and the Rotom inside it has a really snarky personality and metaphorically shrugs sometimes when it doesn't know much about a certain Pokémon or doesn't just care to tell. For example, when it once told the trio that Chewtle evolves into Drednaw, it sarcastically said "Well that's a shocker, isn't it?"

I’ve only seen the screen caps for this episode, but now I’m beginning to worry about the following things:

1. Ash still doesn’t have a water type Pokémon on hand, much like he didn’t in Sun and Moon

I was also thinking about this last week. Like how it has been since Froakie Ash obtained a new Water type. (He should had cought that water pokémon in his solo adventure in Alola).

But not only water. Also Fire and Grass. Three staples of his team since the beginning. If I'm not mistaken, there always were at least 2 of this types in his main team and he caught at least one of them at this point in a new serie.

But I still have hope at least one of these types will join Ash in this series. Even though it is perhaps the most unpredictable serie ever. If there will be a starter among them, I don't dare to predict.

And maybe, if Ash doesn't catch a water type, one of his old water types can return if he ever needs one. (Although I'm afraid he'll just leave it to Goh and his water Pokémon.)

They gave Goh Sobble! Now Raboot has to rot in Professor Cerise’s lab while we only see Cinderace with a side character for one episode!!!! #CinderaceDeservesBetter
Do not count your Torchic before they hatch. I believe that Raboot will still be be Goh's main Pokémon, but Sobble could easily become his second main Pokémon. We'll just have to wait and see.

Seriously, that adorable yet feisty little fellow is perfect for them.

They mutually dislike each other so I don't know why its perfect for them.

They gave Goh Sobble! Now Raboot has to rot in Professor Cerise’s lab while we only see Cinderace with a side character for one episode!!!! #CinderaceDeservesBetter

I think you meant that in regard to Sobble, there's no way Raboot is just going to rot at Sakuragi lab just because Sobble's unevolved.

This episode was a lot better than I thought it would be! The way Sobble was caught was actually kind of funny (by complete accident) and it did lead to the events that helped it and Goh bond (and Goh also considering his Pokemon's feelings more is a good step for his character). I think it was a good idea for Goh to catch it in the end, I wonder what we'll see from them in the future!

Riolu kicking sand away like a dog/puppy to uncover that Silicobra was adorable!

I loved how Raboot was always trying to hide its face away from our eyes so we don't see it crying (it failed). Kinda expect this to be a gag between Sobble and Raboot. If anything, Raboot will help Sobble just so it doesn't make it cry anymore.

I legit didn't know that Magnezone's big middle "eye" was a fake, so that was news to me!

Based on the TRio Pokedex's "entry" about Morpeko (which the Rotom didn't feel like talking), it definitely sounds like it'll pop up again later. Maybe it'll hitch a ride on their balloon back to Kanto? Either that or it'll get caught the next time they go to Galar.

Looking forward to Koharu and Yamper next episode!

Just watched the episode. Goh really has a lot of luck with captures. Catching Sobble while it was invisible was a pure luck moment. And it's fine that they balanced that incredibly lucky capture with a failure trying to catch the Silicobra (he even battled it and yet fail, probably deserved it).

I wonder why nobody has yet mentioned that the TRio use Magnezone and Armaldo in this episode... in Galar! Armaldo isn't available in SwSh (yet) and, while Magnezone is available in Galar now, it wasn't available there by May 31, the original airdate of this episode. Just saying.

What was the purpose of Morpeko in this episode? (Apart from marketing purposes)

Regarding the Sobble capture, is this the first time a main character who is not Ash has got more than 1 "current gen's region" starter? I think it is. May and Dawn got more than 1 starter, but not from a same region which was the current gen's region (Torchic/Bulbasaur/Squirtle and Piplup/Cyndaquil).

Good:

- Go actually doing things.
- Go actually battling for a capture and failing.
- I liked Sobble quite a bit.
- Go hinting at keeping Sobble around for its abilities.
- Team Rocket getting blown off course.
- Team Rocket's Pokedex.

Bad:

- Go catching Sobble by luck.
- That Gachat has gotta go away. Quite possibly the worst gimmick this show has ever had.
- Morpeko bait.

I can see this episode becoming either better or worse retroactively. How much I like it in the long run depends on how much we see of Sobble and whether Morpeko returns.

I wonder why nobody has yet mentioned that the TRio use Magnezone and Armaldo in this episode... in Galar! Armaldo isn't available in SwSh (yet) and, while Magnezone is available in Galar now, it wasn't available there by May 31, the original airdate of this episode. Just saying
They weren't wild Pokemon and must have been caught in other regions. This reminds me of TPCi apologizing for the Dewgong in Nessa's Galar Wings episode.

It's a Gen 8 Pokémon, that's why. It really isn't any more complicated than that.

I’d rather Marnie show up with one later...

I’m less annoyed by Ash not getting Sobble than it’s perpetual moaning! Baby Mario flashbacks, anyone?

My Arceus, if it’s going to scream like that every time it appears – I hope it gets about as much screen time as Goh’s Venonat.

Last edited:
Admittedly at first I felt disappointed by the outcomes of this episode but watching this a second time I feel more open to it.

PROS:
+ The balloon gag with the TRio was funny like most of the humor in this episode in general. The personality and interactions with Team Rocket's Pokedex is gold and I wish we listened to that every other episode instead of Goh's. The gag with Magnezone and Armaldo was also really clever
+ The subtle character growth with Raboot and being more obedient was nice to see. Loved seeing him try so hard to keep his cool
+ Contrary to most takes in this episode, I thought Go was handled fairly well. At first I thought he threw the Pokeball out of selfishness but writing it as an accident was funnier and fit more in character. The bonding moments during the battle scene was also cute and I hope it gets to do more beyond rotting in the lab.
+ Wobbuffet laughing with Team Rocket was a cute touch
+ Ash not being obligated to catch starter in this series is exciting because for the future because for the first time I really feel like I can't predict anything! Looking forward to the 6th capture assuming Mimey isn't filling the team.

CONS:
- Unless it's going to return, what was the point of Morpeko? I don't think I can take any more TRio capture copouts this series
- G. Farfetch'd not doing jack in this episode while Riolu was out for the entire episode is very telling of how Ash's party will be handled this season.
- The crying gag got boring fast.

OVERALL SCORE:
7/10

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom