• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN029: Electrifying Jealousy! Wanpachi's Feelings

Koharu’s brother was playing with a Switch. Is this the first time the Switch has appeared in the anime, or and of the real life consoles? I know Pokédexes have been modelled on the handhelds.
Sophocles was seen playing with a 3DS once.
Please I want to forget that movie.
Why? I thought I Choose You! was a good movie.

POKEMON JOURNEYS EPISODE 29 REVIEW

Somone flew out of the Yamper back
(I wanted something about jealousy but next week episode...)

The plusle
PLUSLE.png

• I will tell you that Koharu backstory is simple, but it's more realistic this way. He felt jealous that a dog would steal his possision as daughter. Also I love how his family describes Yamper as the third son. Never heard of a Pokemon being treated as a family member.
  • I like also how Koharu acts as a real little girl when Yamper dissapears and when he come back being overprotective.
  • Dragonite being lovely.
  • Koharu family livestyle, not a thing you are used to see in Pokémon. (Yeah forgot about Go boring family)
  • Sobble appearing and dissapaering when he feels like it. BATSOBLE
  • Pidove being exactly like his pokedex descriptions.
  • Koharu understanding the relationship between humans and Pokémon and having and small progression everytime he appears.
  • A possible plotline about tensions between Pokemon and humans in the future?
  • Sota reaction saying goodbye to Pidove its realistic too. It hurts seing a pet go even if you had it just a day.
  • Finally we have the explanation of why a Galar Pokemon like Yamper is in Kanto.

The Minun
MINUM.png

• Sobble crying gag, I guess that this will only happen in this episode since Sobble is fairly new to the lab but knowing how this writters like overused gags I'm scared
  • Go trying to catch a Pokémon that tried to eat another Pokémon in front of his eyes. And also trying to catch a Pokémon that he did not weakened but maybe it's free real estate...
  • The twerps should be out of some episodes, this could have happened while they were in Galar.
  • By his reaction and by next week episode premise it's fair to thing that the bond of Yamper and Koharu is tighter than the one Ash and Pikachu have. I will explain why in the rant section.

The questions
icon.png

• What game is Sota playing? I mean he has the switch in handheld mode but he is looking at the screen...
  • So Pokémon birds also tend to hit windows?
  • How strong is Yamper? He defeated Gengar and Fearow in one hit
  • Why are those epsiodes about the same topic (Jealousy) airing back to back? Did somebody in the writting staff got cheated recently or what?
  • Since Koharu appeared that means I would have to make questions about another character that does not appear that much so: Gengar who?

The rant
17908b7ebf13042b48a09c9ee0e4fb9e.jpeg

First of all. Filler does not equal to be boring. Also what is the definition of filler in this series? In an anime that comes from a manga (Naruto,One Piece) it's easy cause are the episodes that do not appear in the manga. But here? And why does people qualificate this as a filler since there is a progression (Small but still progression) of a character?

Also why Yamper and Koharu react better in a jealousy situation? One tries to be equal and the other one even being jealous tries to endure the situation as best af ¿he? can. Pikachu just storms away from the lab demonstrating that he is inmature and also a coward since he prefers to avoid the situation also it makes Ash look like and idiot for not realizing it.

But we will explain next week why it is wrong for Pikachu to get jealous.

The Simpsons did it
285096_200297.png

Homer gets fat(er) 1-40 screenshot.png
pidove.JPG
Captura.JPG

Conclusions

This is a rather simple but effective episode that helps Koharu to get closer to the Pokémon world and maybe the main character spot he still not deserves but maybe in the future this changes. Koharu is the opposed to Go while Go was shoehorned Koharu has and small built.

The rating is Three Batsobbles out of Five

BATSOBBLE.png
BATSOBBLE.png
BATSOBBLE.png

This episode really brought out some of my favorite aspects of Sun and Moon with Journeys feeling like a real world with Pokemon in it and I thought that it was handled really well here! My favorite stories in the anime are the ones that prioritize depth and character development and this one did a great job at it.

PROS:
+ Just seeing what appears to be a regular day in both the Sakuragi household and lab helped make the episode flow nice and feel well rounded.

+ The Chloe backstory was great at adding a little more dimension to her character and I truly believe she's one of the most interesting girl protagonists since Dawn because she feels distinguishable from Ash and Go in most of the episodes surrounding around her. The lack of any type of goal is strange but if they continue to use her like this and have her be more of a character that brings out the slice-of-life aspects of this series then I think that's really good too (just let her appear more, damn it!)

+ The blessing of just seeing a regular family interact in the Pokèmon world is something we do not see enough, and the interactions with Chloe and her mother and brother were cute

+ The small stuff like Riolu and Pikachu training and Dragonite being motherly to Sobble was nice

+ Iwane's work is a blessing to watch as always

+ The subtle character-building moments with Ren and Chryssa reminded me that they exist!

CONS:

- Similar to Chloe's last focus ep, I thought both episodes were good at establishing her character but the climax felt weak because there was so little tension with the battle that didn't even last a minute and Yamper instantly curbstomping the PoTD felt weird.

- Ash and Goh felt a little shoehorned this episode and I would've sacrificed most of their scenes for a more exciting battle

- Because Pidove doesn't even staying with the family, I feel like the message this episode was trying to send got watered down a lot and nothing about Yamper's jealousy ends up mattering in the end

OVERALL SCORE:
7/10

Nice to see more Koharu focus, but this definitely wasn't as strong as her previous episode. I did enjoy the interactions with her mother and especially the fashbacks to her childhood, and I also got a chuckle out of Gou getting frustrated at missing the Fearow. I was hoping this episode would bring her closer to becoming a major character, but it doesn't look like it did. I did notice that her casual outfit looked something like a Nurse Joy might wear, so maybe that's going to become her calling, not that she had much to do with Pidove's care this time around.

On another note: Messon Everyone Cries Gag, congratulations on surpassing both Marina's screaming catch bonuses and general (luckily averted today) lack of female focus as the single worst aspect of Pocket Monsters 2019.

A decent enough episode, but not the best we've seen and not as good as the previous Koharu-based entry. I'll need to see a non-lagging version with subs to see if my opinion changes however, but at this stage I'll give it a pass. Solid C. You lost the + to the crying gag showing up again.
Well most of that is just flat-out wrong.

With subtitles this became a much stronger episode for me and this would probably be my favorite series to date if the whole series was more like it. I said that the previous Koharu episode was stronger, but that's not true because aside from the Messon thing this episode was a lot more focussed than that one and flowed better as a result. The slice of life aspects were great and we got to see more of Koharu's character, which is always nice and I really wish it happened more than 3 times a year. I also loved Wanpachi's many expressions and could easily spot the Iwane influence in there. I enjoyed the goodbye scene and the way Koharu opened up her normally cold exterior to comfort Sota when he was sad to see the Mamepato leave.

Only complaint was that they wasted time on the Messon crying thing because it meant that we got another OHKO battle for Koharu instead of something more substantial, but if they did that specifically to tell the audience that Messon is going to be an important character rather than one of Gou's many background Pokes (poor Cubone...) then I'll let it slide this time, though I would have preferred they incorporate Messon some other way.

Now it gets an A-, the - being for the time-wasting and the OHKO thing because that's also how Koharu's other episode ended and I'd hate for a pattern of 'Koharu and Wanpachi OHKO the conflict, the end' to become a regular thing.

Well most of that is just flat-out wrong.

With subtitles this became a much stronger episode for me and this would probably be my favorite series to date if the whole series was more like it. I said that the previous Koharu episode was stronger, but that's not true because aside from the Messon thing this episode was a lot more focussed than that one and flowed better as a result. The slice of life aspects were great and we got to see more of Koharu's character, which is always nice and I really wish it happened more than 3 times a year. I also loved Wanpachi's many expressions and could easily spot the Iwane influence in there. I enjoyed the goodbye scene and the way Koharu opened up her normally cold exterior to comfort Sota when he was sad to see the Mamepato leave.

Only complaint was that they wasted time on the Messon crying thing because it meant that we got another OHKO battle for Koharu instead of something more substantial, but if they did that specifically to tell the audience that Messon is going to be an important character rather than one of Gou's many background Pokes (poor Cubone...) then I'll let it slide this time, though I would have preferred they incorporate Messon some other way.

Now it gets an A-, the - being for the time-wasting and the OHKO thing because that's also how Koharu's other episode ended and I'd hate for a pattern of 'Koharu and Wanpachi OHKO the conflict, the end' to become a regular thing.

I feel like Ash and Goh would've been better utilized interacting with Yamper instead of having the whole Sobble bit. If Yamper was at the lab the whole time while Chloe was at school, then they should've noticed the Pidove much earlier and maybe they could've commented on it or something.

Was really hanging out for a Koharu episode, but I felt kinda disappointed by this one - as it didn't really go into anything about her character in terms of why she's not out on a Pokemon journey, and as such, why she's promoted as being a fairly major character despite almost never appearing.

Sure, it makes me want to read so much into her commanding Wanpachi in battle having meaning - that it's a hint at more to come, but I don't think that's reasonable given how long it's taken to get this far. If this was episode 9 of the series rather than 29, then maybe I'd believe there was a slow build up to give time to introduce Gou.

It wasn't a bad episode, Pidove was nice and other than shoehorning in Ash/Gou when they had no reason to be anything other than a cut away, it just is mostly just me for no real reason hoping they do more with a character I think could be interesting - the series really lacks not having a female lead and Koharu is a good foil for Gou that I really wish they travelled together. But the fact that'd mean leaving school kinda highlights both the strength of the setting for Sun and Moon. Hopefully they can give her a summer vacation to spend out exploring the world with Wanpachi.

I do wonder how people'd be able to tell that it's their Pidove from just a photo - I can understand kinda in person, but the anime kinda doesn't show any real Pokemon to Pokemon variations, other than in mannerisms and at best size changes. I'd have assumed a professor could just scan them like you have microchips in cats/dogs in the real world to identify the original trainer id?

I nearly didn't write a review, indeed I watched it yesterday and had nothing really to say - the episode was only bad if you had hopes for it you probably had no reason to have. In short. More Koharu please!

As expected, this week's episode was a filler but in the end it turned out not to be as bad as I feared at first.
Koharu is still one of the characters I do not really like becuase I think she's pretty bland. So, I didn't expect that she would do many spectacular things today. At least we got to learn about and Yamper's common background . Plus, the Yamper acted pretty bravely in his battle against Fearow. That was a scene I liked.

Well, onto the next episode! Ash neglecting Pikachu for the sake of Riolu getting stronger sure is a nice theme. It smells like an intriguing rivalry especially since Riolu has taken such a liking to Ash. Yes, next week's episode promises to be interesting indeed!

I do wonder how people'd be able to tell that it's their Pidove from just a photo - I can understand kinda in person, but the anime kinda doesn't show any real Pokemon to Pokemon variations, other than in mannerisms and at best size changes. I'd have assumed a professor could just scan them like you have microchips in cats/dogs in the real world to identify the original trainer id?

With Pidove being a Unova Pokémon, it's probably rare enough in Kanto that people (including Professor Sakuragi) could assume that it had a traiber and putting up a sign would quickly attract the one missing it.

Is it me or is Koharu just about the most realistic and relatable child to ever appear in this anime? Didn't even need to check the 'pedia to know that Matsui wrote this one. PM would benefit greatly from more Koharu and more Matsui.

This series confuses the heck out of me. I was excited for the last two episodes but ended up not loving them. Wasn't expecting too much out of this episode...and I loved it!

I'm really coming to realize that I just love Chloe. At first I just liked her because of that little bit of snark she possesses, but the more and more Chloe-focused episodes we get, the more I realize that I love everything about her character and how the writers are handling her. We still don't have a clear idea of where Chloe is headed, and honestly, I really like that! It's realistic, and I think it's cool that this isn't something they're looking to change right away (or maybe even ever change.)

Onto the episode itself: how great to finally see Chloe out of her school uniform! Her casual clothes are super adorable. And the backstory with Yamper was very sweet and was very telling about why his relationship with Chloe is the way it is. I also thought it was very interesting all of that occurred before Parker was born...Chloe comes across as a very kind and caring older sister, so it seems possible what she went through with Yamper helped to influence that, which I think is a nice touch.

Also, since I've given the lab assistants a bit of flack in the past, I have to say I loved their roles here! Knowing that Ren, at the very least, has been a part of Professor Cerise and Chloe's lives for quite a while adds a different dimension to them that I really enjoyed.

To be totally honest, I could've done without Ash and Goh in this episode...I'm just glad they didn't take up too much screen time from the actual plot. Also, I can tell that the "Sobble makes everyone cry" gag is going to get really old, really fast if they keep overdoing it. Hopefully that gets put on the back burner for a little while after this.

Oh, and Chloe's "bed head" is super cute...I think I like it more than her regular hairstyle! Her mother's drawing of her (come on, Talia, we all know it's her!) and Yamper was so sweet, too.

Solid episode! I'll definitely be looking more forward to the Chloe focused episodes from now on.

I have to say, sobble is too boring, it should evolve or stop apearing. Koharo is supposed to be the girl of the group, but she rarely appear. We at least have one episode with her , she has a backstory, but she will likely disappear again, since she doesnt want to be a pokemon trainer , and she is a pokemon show.

okay I looved this episode Koharu is cute and behaved realistically for a girl her age, definitely something I think people would be able to relate to (especially those with siblings). it's always great seeing her give Yamper battle commands and I hope we'll see more of it! she's also way too cute in her casual clothing. my bby girl ;_;

PM2019 has been doing well in making me care more for side characters. I'm fine with her not being the third main character of the group, since that makes episodes like this focusing on her a little more special and well thought-out. really do hope we'll see her with more Pokémon other than Yamper in the end, since they do seem to love her a lot. 9/10!

Actually, no. Only Ash and Goh have been classified as the protagonists of this series. Chloe is just a notable recurring character.

She appears just after ash and goh in the openning. They show Ash and pikachu, Goh and scorbunny, Chloe and yamper, like they usually do with the protagonist grop. She and Yamper are also seen walking with them , like if they often travelled together. I dont know where the protagonist list is, but the opening fools you and make you think that koharu often travels with them, and is part of the group.

She appears just after ash and goh in the openning. They show Ash and pikachu, Goh and scorbunny, Chloe and yamper, like they usually do with the protagonist grop. She and Yamper are also seen walking with them , like if they often travelled together. I dont know where the protagonist list is, but the opening fools you and make you think that koharu often travels with them, and is part of the group.
Yes and no. Yes, she is in the opening, but no, she's not actually by their side when they walk around the world. And she's not mentioned at the opening recap, which recaps the goals of the protagonists.

It's obvious that random scene with Ash and Gou looking for Sobble was put in there to give Sobble some kind of screen time. Because they have to show off first form starter Pokémon from the game that the current anime series is promoting, even if it's out of place in the episode.

Review:
Pros :
1)Good character development for both Yamper and Chloe.
2)A little backstory of Ren and Chryssa are told which is good.
Cons:
1)Sobble gag was sweet but unnecessary.
Extra:
1)Animation was superb.
2) Dragonite was awesome.
3)Two electric jealousy in a row
Don't know how to write reviews like @Panky or @Pokemon Phenom but yet.
Rating:
file_c448693891_original.png file_c448693891_original.png file_c448693891_original.png file_c448693891_original.png out of 5

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom