• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Preview JN032: Celebi: A Timeless Promise

Team Rocket says: Don't forget to put your mask
Reaction score
Aren't your reactions becoming a bit of... toxic? Looking at how you are judging things which just doesn't meet your own expectations like recent "Pikachu is OoC", or "Goh doesn't train his Pokemon", "Scorbunny's evolution is undeserved and pointless" etc. Honestly, I'm out of words now when your mood seems close to hysterics.
Having an opinion in something you disagree is not toxic. Discussing a character development is not toxic.

This is a forum remember?

Toxic is insulting and isolating people for what they think or post.

It's also a nice Pokémon move. I Wonder why almost every Pokémon can learn it?

All life matters. Not matter age or skin color!
Reaction score
How can this be character development if it is a flashback? What does it add to current Gou?
Like Lillie and Serena who's flashback actually added something to the current story

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Looks to be a very touching and sad episode that could develop Goh a lot.
Go does look more likeable here, but I'd have to actually watch the episode to comment on this.
Based on the preview I kind of like Tokio. I wonder what would happen if Ash had met Tokio and not Go (it’s just a hypothetical fun "What if", before someone accuses me of "Go hate/propaganda).

Not Dead
Reaction score
Go does look more likeable here, but I'd have to actually watch the episode to comment on this.
Based on the preview I kind of like Tokio. I wonder what would happen if Ash had met Tokio and not Go (it’s just a hypothetical fun "What if", before someone accuses me of "Go hate/propaganda).
I don't know what Tokio is like exactly, but it's safe to assume that in over 1000 episodes and 20 movies, Ash has met similar characters. Now let's wonder what would have happened in every special had it featured Ash.

How can this be character development if it is a flashback? What does it add to current Gou?
Like Lillie and Serena who's flashback actually added something to the current story
You do realize that the summary alludes to Go reuniting with Tokio in the present, right? The preview doesn't show everything.

Reaction score
I remember when we were discussing that Ash had too much screentime in episodes unrelated to him. Oh boy, if only we knew...

If we exclude the implications of Ash’s absense, this seems like a cute episode. If only we had a “meanwhile” episode dedicated to him...

Into the Nether portal...
Reaction score
If we exclude the implications of Ash’s absense, this seems like a cute episode. If only we had a “meanwhile” episode dedicated to him...
I think this is the biggest root of the issue, the lack of a side plot in general for Ash and not necessarily within the episode itself. Even Goh had side plots in Ash's episodes, some of them even outright squeezing the minutes out of Ash's focus. Or maybe it could have happened off screen like the Spearow capture in JN018. They could have had the next episode showing a parallel plotline with what Ash is doing instead of self-containing the issue and jumping straight to the next plot of the day.

The only way the lack of Ash in this episode can be forgiven if he's actually actively doing something off screen instead of just being background, and if that action is actually brought up.

Reaction score
I think this is the biggest root of the issue, the lack of a side plot in general for Ash and not necessarily within the episode itself. Even Goh had side plots in Ash's episodes, some of them even outright squeezing the minutes out of Ash's focus. Or maybe it could happened off screen like the Spearow capture in JN018. They could have had the next episode showing a parallel plotline with what Ash is doing instead of self-containing the issue and jumping straight to the next plot of the day.

The only way the lack of Ash in this episode can be forgiven if he's actually actively doing something off screen instead of just being background, and if that action is actually brought up.
So what, we'd come back and find Ash with a tournament trophy, new rank status in the WCS, or a bunch of new Pokemon?

I mean sure...we'd all love that.....

I'm a male Mew and Sobble fan
Reaction score
As long as no one is insulting anyone about their opinion on Go we should all be fine.
Good point. I will say that referring to other people as "toxic" like that one user did is fairly toxic if you ask me.

Forget understanding everyone's feelings. Just label them as being something that they're not. That'll get people far in life, am I right? :wynaut:

Reaction score
Good point. I will say that referring to other people as "toxic" like that one user did is fairly toxic if you ask me.

Forget understanding everyone's feelings. Just label them as being something that they're not. That'll get people far in life, am I right? :wynaut:
Yea, it seems that really the ones labeling others as toxic don’t seem to like that others don’t like Go and are vocal about it despite the fact that, even looking at him objectively, he is a pretty polarizing character. It’s really not hard to see how he could run people the wrong way. So when you compound that with there only being 2 cast members and how much focus he’s gotten even in episodes dedicated to Ash, people are gonna get annoyed.

The Prince is Back!
Reaction score
I think this is the biggest root of the issue, the lack of a side plot in general for Ash and not necessarily within the episode itself. Even Goh had side plots in Ash's episodes, some of them even outright squeezing the minutes out of Ash's focus. Or maybe it could have happened off screen like the Spearow capture in JN018. They could have had the next episode showing a parallel plotline with what Ash is doing instead of self-containing the issue and jumping straight to the next plot of the day.

So people complain about pointless side plots, and now, there's complaining about the lack of a side plot?

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
So people complain about pointless side plots, and now, there's complaining about the lack of a side plot?
People would be fine if there are no pointless side plots at all, but we do get them and they favour one character to the detriment of the other. Since the writers are hell bent on adding in side plots for Go, I’m not too peeved on people asking for side plots for Ash.

Just even out the focus, pointless side plots or not, and not ruin the once-in-a-blue-moon Ash focus episode.

Reaction score
I think that this episode could actually be good, and explain why Goh is soo afraid to lose his friends. However, I'm also feeling some fake-out vibes a la Goodbye Rabbifoot.