• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN032: Celebi: A Timeless Promise

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. It's beyond sad that Goh getting one full episode to himself (i.e. Ash not being around) is seen as a bad thing. Ash has had over 1000 episodes so I don't see how him missing 1 is problematic.
Maybe because it's "co-protagonists" and not "one protagonist with another supporting deuteragonist", regardless of how many episodes some character has? For that matter, DP was a dual protagonist setup even when Dawn wasn't officially labelled as such and the co-protagonist angle was handled 5x better there than this series.

Aw, lil Goh is so cute! I'm desperately hoping for some good Goh backstory and character development from this episode.

So what, we'd come back and find Ash with a tournament trophy, new rank status in the WCS, or a bunch of new Pokemon?

I mean sure...we'd all love that.....

Nah, it could just be stated that he and Goh were given time off by Professor Cerise so he decided to go home for a few days. Doesn't have to be anything too crazy.

Removed suicide “joke”
At least it's one somewhat promising episode in this Gou-themed month. The preview makes it seem that the episode wants us to care about Goh, meaning it's probably the first pokéani episode to activate my it's-something-remotely-sad-or-dramatic-in-an-anime-time-to-laugh-it-off-because-of-how-boring-and-badly-executed-it-is reaction, I hope not. Ash's absence is weird and it kinda annoys me because of the Gou sideplots in Ash episodes, but at least there won't be any catching sprees and maybe some actual Gou development for once?

I can see why people expect an explanation for that ep3 line, though I don't expect it myself

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that Ash is not appearing here does not transform this into a bad episode. In fact it has a very interesting premise so we will see.

The only problem as I said before is that this does not have much sense if Go has not shown any distrust towards other boys since episode 3. However this harsh memories could lead to tensions between Ash and Go and I'm all about that.

What I have been criticizing is the fact that out of the episodes that have been revealed, 32,33,35 are about Go and we have no confirmation about 34. Also the fact that Koharu in three episodes has earned my "kokoro" and I declare her the best character of this series for me.

Congrats Queen.

...Hey if Goh has done nothing else for the franchise it has made this place appreciate Ash more. That, if nothing else, is a win

commish__sweet___bitter__sweet_victory_by_blueike_ddgy9yd-fullview.png

What Alola League couldn't complete perhaps Goh has....(I commed this BTW)

If you complain about Gou's character and find his goal boring, that means you want him to improve and you want to see more from him, it means you want to see an episode were Gou is not just chucking a Pokeball at some random wild Pokémon. But if you ignore an episode like this, it sounds like you don't want Gou to do anything else, which confuses me, because I thought people want something different for him.

This is not an episode about Gou catching a lot of Pokémon, it's about his past, it looks like going to explain why he had problem making friends and that line from episode three, something I am certain we have all been curious about. You can not judge an episode based on a preview and automatically call it a good or bad one, the only thing about this episode which appears to be a fact is it will be very emotional.

Last edited:
I’m not going to say a Goh episode is bad a priori as that would be foolish and disingenuous of me, but what the anime will need to sell me is that this episode deserves the somber preview music. This is not an episode about Goh getting a ton of Pokémon. It’s a character episode.

If you complain about Gou's character and find his goal boring, that means you want him to improve and you want to see more from him, it means you want to see an episode were Gou is not just chucking a Pokeball at some random wild Pokémon. But if you ignore an episode like this, it sounds like you don't want Gou to do anything else, which confuses me, because I thought people want something different for him.

This is not an episode about Gou catching a lot of Pokémon, it's about his past, it looks like going to explain why he had problem making friends and that line from episode three, something I am certain we have all been curious about. You can not judge an episode based on a preview and automatically call it a good or bad one, the only thing about this episode which appears to be a fact is it will be very emotional.
That’s honestly a pretty poor strawman as the problem that people have been expressing is not that Go has an episode but the fact that Ash isn’t appearing in it despite the fact that any time that Ash has had an episode that Go has had an obligatory side plot that detracts from Ash’s time.

In addition, an episode that’s dedicated to Go’s past with a character who has never been eluded to is certainly not going to fix nor do anything about anything people have issues with as far as the spam catching, easily catching or that he does nothing with his Pokémon since this will be at most a character explanation episode. Nothing wrong with character focus but this episode isn’t going to fix people’s problems that they have with Go as that part of his character isn’t the root of the issues people have with him.

It's sad to see that Goh threads have become what they are. I would like to address some points:

- It is completely fine to cricitize Goh with well-constructed arguments (we could really do without the low effort memes/jokes, but we're not going to act on those)

- It is not okay to label everyone who dislikes Goh as "toxic". However, it is also not okay to derail this thread or any other thread with pointless discussion about labeling people as toxic. If you have a problem with a post, you report it. You do not bicker about the post endlessly in a thread that is not meant for this. Let the staff handle it. Do you really think the average Pokémon fan comes to this site wanting to observe a bunch of people debating about what is considered toxic and what isn't? I don't think so.

- Despite it being okay to criticize Goh, we've seen the debate around him become much harsher. We've noticed a post where someone jokingly suggested Goh should commit suicide (which is all kinds of awful for obvious reasons), we've seen another post where Goh was labeled an antagonist. We've already had the whole "Goh is a psychopath" thing, and we don't want a repeat of that. Stay civil, it isn't hard. I've said it before: we're discussing an animated character from a show directed mostly at children here, not politics. That doesn't mean that you can't have strong debates about this character, but it also doesn't give you the right to behave poorly.

Carry on please.

It's obvious that the writers wanted this entire episode to have one mood, hence why there isn't going to be any interruptions or side plots and Ash most likely wouldn't have done anything in this episode anyway, so him being here would be no different from him not being here.

It's disappointing that we finally get an episode with Gou that is not about him catching Pokémon, which I'm certain a lot of people have wanted, but then they refuse to watch it simply because Ash isn't appearing. Would that one thing really have made a difference for you?

I did not say it would change people's opinions on Gou, all I'm saying is people will find out something new about him and get answers.

Last edited:
So Ash cannot interrupt a Go episode but Go can remember us his goal every episode and making Ash battles shorter due to that?

I will watch the episode I have no problem with that, this could be and emotional episode. But I must remember to you that we have 3 out of 4 episodes were Go is the center of attention.

Saying that Ash is still the main character when he had less episodes than Go untill this point is a bit of an statement dont you think?

I want something more from a "Co-protagonist". Koharu have done more than Goh. Character development takes his time, but Go is rushed.

Also this is the first episode of a main series without Ash. Did you see the Iris or the Dawn specials dubbed? Nope and you will never see them. So this is different dont you think?

Also people has the right to like or dislike a character.

Last edited:
It's fine for Ash to have a side plot in a Gou episode, but this really isn't the type of episode for it and I'm happy the writers aren't doing that. When you get an episode where Gou catches while Ash battles, both characters are happy (even if the viewers aren't) but having an episode were Gou is depressed and then it suddenly cuts to Ash excitingly training his Pokémon, the sudden change in mood would be so awkward.

Last edited:
The way I see it, I don’t have any issue with this episode at all. I’m looking forward to what it might tell us about Go and Tokio, however, the "overreactions" stem from the fact (at least, the way I see it) that it just ended up being the last straw for many people since all Ash episodes in this series have suffered from lack of screentime due to accommodating side plots for Go which achieve alo most nothing- however Ash himself has had no focus in Go episodes.

This created a situation of imbalance, and when we've actually arrived at an episode where Go needs unabridged screentime, we're at a streak of episodes which are mostly about Go and Ash hasn’t had meaningful uninterrupted focus in a while. I agree Ash doesn’t benefit much from being in this episode, but if such things happen it isn’t entirely unreasonable to expect a solo Ash episode or Ash getting focus without Go hogging off the spotlight (which clearly isn’t happening any time soon).

Many users here are probably just fed up with this improperly handled dual protagonist approach and thus are suggesting Ash side plots. It is inconvenient timing that this has happened in an episode which has potential for Go development. But i don’t feel it’s correct to blame the people since it’s the writers who are improperly handling Ash, and the TRio as well. It’s quite simply bad writing to have one character to play second fiddle to another.
People will most probably view the episode, review it as any other and move on. There isn’t vendetta on the specific episode where Go finally gets development. It’s pointing out how the writers are failing the dual protagonist narrative.

According to me it isn’t a problem with this specific episode and shouldn’t be judged as if it is.
(Just trying to explain the "other" perspective here which has somehow become synonymous with a "long chain of Go hate and propaganda")

Some of the "hate" becomes a bit excessive sometimes but I don’t think those people come from an inherently malicious place. No one's here planning the next complaint on Go.

Last edited:
It's fine for Ash to have a side plot in a Gou episode, but this really isn't the type of episode for it and I'm happy the writers aren't doing that. When you get an episode where Gou catches while Ash battles, both characters are happy (even if the viewers aren't) but having an episode were Gou is depressed and then it suddenly cuts to Ash excitingly training his Pokémon, the sudden change in mood would be so awkward.

I think @PkmnTrainerV coud not have explain it better. This series has a balance problem with Go. The writters wants to give him a lot of exposure that is hurting him ,hurting Ash and also hurting Team Rocket.

I repeat this could be a good episode, this harsh memories could lead to tensions between Ash and Go.

Last edited:
I also think they should handle Gou better, I want there to be more to his goal of catching every Pokémon, because, while I think they have been doing well for Gou as a character, his goal has been extremely lacking. But, right now, I'm just happy we are getting an episode about Gou's past and it's not yet another one where he gets Pokémon, I have wanted an episode like this, where we get some answers, for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom