• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN036: Satoshi and Go, Crawl Up From the Sand Hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how far Ash will drop in the ranks. His rank will drop after he loses to Bea but the summary also implies that he hasn’t been performing well in other official battles either, so he’ll most likely lose at least one more (probably a short 1v1) to show that. That’s at least 2 battles he will lose.

I wonder how far Ash will drop in the ranks. His rank will drop after he loses to Bea but the summary also implies that he hasn’t been performing well in other official battles either, so he’ll most likely lose at least one more (probably a short 1v1) to show that. That’s at least 2 battles he will lose.
Maybe he falls back to the Normal Rank? Who knows.

With Ash's track record for captures in this series, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ash was the one to catch Flygon here instead of Goh.

Hmm, definitely sounds more interesting than I was initially anticipating! I actually like episodes where Ash struggles with things like losing...makes it more realistic. He can't win every match (which he has so far) and he's also very competitive. Him going into a bit of a slump as a result of a (potentially bad) loss makes a lot of sense and does his character good.

I really don't care much about Flygon. My personal guess would be that Goh catches it, but this series has pulled out quite a few surprise captures for Ash so we could be in for another surprise, especially if it's part of this mysterious Goh strategy.

I realize that a lot of people here are saying that it’s a good thing that Ash has a loss and goes into a slump. But, just like how I felt about his battle with Gary just before Johto, his loss to Paul in that unofficial full battle, his second loss to Trip, his first battle against Wulfric, his loss to Guzma and that time that Team Rocket attacked the resort in this series, it just doesn’t feel right that those moments happened, at least not to me. I mean, just like what is being assumed for episode 34, by each of those other aforementioned moments, Ash had truly become a much stronger trainer and most definitely did not seem to be a person who should be underestimated, especially given the kind of Pokémon that he had under his command. And yet, when the previously mentioned events took place, it was like he was forced to take a step backwards after all of his previous steps of progress.

I mean he lost to Gary’s Eevee not long after he got through besting an even more powerful and experienced Trainer and his commonly-viewed-as nigh unstoppable Dragonite, he lost to person like Paul who had a very harsh type of training style even though his training style was clearly being stated and was meant to be seen as the much better type of style, he lost to a Rookie trainer like Trip not long after besting a seemingly unbeatable Darkrai, he and his Greninja had clearly come such along way with their strength and connection that it makes his losing to Wulfric seem a bit like a cruel move to be honest, and he lost to a glorified thug like Guzma right after he helped to defeat a truly far more dangerous threat like Lysander.

And now there’s this, while I can understand him losing to Leon, how could Team Rocket grunts or Bea possibly be able overpower Ash so easily? Not only does he have a much vaunted Dragonite and a very powerful Gengar in his thrall, but by this point that boy is an official CHAMPION! He should have been able to easily take care of those Team Rocket grunts, as well as give Bea a tough time on the battlefield.

Also, after Ash has finally managed to reach the Master’s Class after so very long, he is made to be demoted down from that and is forced to reach for that rank for a second time?

And now there’s this, while I can understand him losing to Leon, how could Team Rocket grunts or Bea possibly be able overpower Ash so easily? Not only does he have a much vaunted Dragonite and a very powerful Gengar in his thrall, but by this point that boy is an official CHAMPION! He should have been able to easily take care of those Team Rocket grunts, as well as give Bea a tough time on the battlefield.

Also, after Ash has finally managed to reach the Master’s Class after so very long, he is made to be demoted down from that and is forced to reach for that rank for a second time?

Bea is an Elite-4 level trainer in terms of strength and she’s using a Pokémon that Ash has never seen before and has no idea of it’s power level. Along with that, he’s using Riolu and Farfetch’d, his much weaker Pokémon in comparison to Dragonite and Gengar. It makes perfect sense that him using a weaker team against an unknown opponent is a recipe for failure.

The Team Rocket grunts weren’t just typical grunts, they were highly trained elite members of the strongest faction in Team Rocket and are prepared to fight those that resist. Pikachu was quickly poisoned, so he had the disadvantage and Riolu was still very weak at the time. He also presumably didn’t bring Dragonite or Gengar with him or he would’ve used them in the battle.

he lost to person like Paul who had a very harsh type of training style even though his training style was clearly being stated and was meant to be seen as the much better type of style
I respectfully disagree. The whole point in Ash and Paul's rivalry was that Ash wanted to prove his training style was just as effective as Paul's, and at the Sinnoh League, he proved that. Neither one's training method was better or worse than the other's. They were just different.

Ash's clear loss to Paul was meant to cause Ash to doubt if his training methods were indeed inferior to Paul's methods, but he regained his confidence in his training methods soon enough with the support of his friends.

I realize that a lot of people here are saying that it’s a good thing that Ash has a loss and goes into a slump. But, just like how I felt about his battle with Gary just before Johto, his loss to Paul in that unofficial full battle, his second loss to Trip, his first battle against Wulfric, his loss to Guzma and that time that Team Rocket attacked the resort in this series, it just doesn’t feel right that those moments happened, at least not to me. I mean, just like what is being assumed for episode 34, by each of those other aforementioned moments, Ash had truly become a much stronger trainer and most definitely did not seem to be a person who should be underestimated, especially given the kind of Pokémon that he had under his command. And yet, when the previously mentioned events took place, it was like he was forced to take a step backwards after all of his previous steps of progress.

I mean he lost to Gary’s Eevee not long after he got through besting an even more powerful and experienced Trainer and his commonly-viewed-as nigh unstoppable Dragonite, he lost to person like Paul who had a very harsh type of training style even though his training style was clearly being stated and was meant to be seen as the much better type of style, he lost to a Rookie trainer like Trip not long after besting a seemingly unbeatable Darkrai, he and his Greninja had clearly come such along way with their strength and connection that it makes his losing to Wulfric seem a bit like a cruel move to be honest, and he lost to a glorified thug like Guzma right after he helped to defeat a truly far more dangerous threat like Lysander.

And what do you want for him to win everything? Don't you realize that character development in this type of series come from a harsh loss or from a death?

And since nobody is going to die in this series we have our main character to lose in order to realize that he needs to change his strategies and attitude. Also a character that wins everything is not realistic.

He is a champion? Yes of a region that his league was a free for all. Also League Champion is not equal to Region champion. We are in a world tournament where the strongest of them all are gathered. The gym leaders are people who evaluate if a Pokémon trainer is ready for a Pokémon league. This is to crown the Best in the World

Also Bea can be equal to Elite Four since in the games he is at Champions cup using Grapploct. Maybe he is behind Raihan in terms of Power.

My case is: A defeat can be equal to development also reminder that Ash specially in Sun and Moon does not take really well losing(Remember how he reacted when Nanu destroyed him and when he almost loss to Hau in the league).

Give it time, this could lead us to something interesting.

I guess I'm in the middle here. I don't mind seeing this plotline again but it's happened enough that it's already practically guaranteed that any character development for Ash from it is gonna be ephemeral so I'm more curious if it'll result in anything for Riolu or Galarfetch'd since those are more likely to stick.

Yup. It was Flygon, as many guessed.

Mauville makes a lot of sense. Route 111 is just north of that city.

"Beautiful singing voice"? Pokédex implementation once again!

Gotta wonder what Goh's strategy is...
Maybe he asks Sobble to cry, making the Flygon cry, thus making it easier to defeat and catch? Complete with the ass-pulled sunglasses from episode 28 making a return because why not? :wynaut:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sobble battles it, though we already know that it’s invisibility is useless when it’s covered in something like sand, which will be everywhere in this episode. Sobble performed surprisingly well against Silicobra considering it didn’t immediately cry, but it can’t take a hit without crying, so it probably won’t do well against a powerhouse like Flygon unless it stays at a distance, which it probably will. It’s tears will probably be utilized until it evolves.

@Eclipsical - 1. It feels like Ash has dealt with opponents of level of power, by the skin of his teeth maybe, but still.

2. Ash has battled against Pokémon he had little information about before and come out on top. Remember Drake’s Gengar or Tobias’ Darkrai?

3. You are aware that even Ash’s weaker Pokémon are still pretty tough to battle against right? And from what I’ve seen, both his Riolu and Farfetch’d seem to be pretty tough customers all on their own

4. Surely Ash has dealt with enough opponents and enemies to be able to hold his own against people like Bea, and Riolu and Pikachu did seem tough enough together to deal with a Toxicroak, who I think Pikachu should have been able to handle at the time. Ash should been able to take care of Matori and her troops

@
FinnishPokéFan92- And yet the anime wanted us all to view Ash as the one in the right, with Paul’s initial cruel streak and generally unlikable demeanor

@
Pokemon Phenom - 1. No, I am not saying that I want Ash to win all of the time, but, there are times within the anime when I feel like the reasons that he loses aren’t themselves very fair or reasonable. Especially not during this level of his career, I mean, by this point it feels like Ash and his Pokémon should only be able to lose to the likes of trainers who are well known for being the best of the best. It feels like Ash should be one of the toughest trainers out there by this point is all

2. Not realistic? So are you saying that, Leon, the man who has never lost a battle in his career, is realistic? Are you saying that a Gym Leader who has the psychic powers to turn people into dolls, a Frontier Brain who can command the likes of Articuno, a trainer with very little about him to suggest that he was special having possession of both a Darkrai and a Latios, a trainer like Cameron of all people being in possession of a Pokémon like Hydreigon, a psychic type gym leader having powers so great that she can actually levitate herself and a Pokémon trainer being given multiple opportunities to battle against a Pokémon believed to be on par with the gods are all more realistic?

3. Yes, a league where he got to battle against a Pokémon that was considered a deity and won

I’m just saying that at this point it just doesn’t feel right for Ash to get this far ahead only to suffer a crushing defeat. His character development thus far just doesn’t feel compatible with that

That sand hell "translation" is some Google Translate nonsense if I've ever seen it. "Quicksand" would be much, much better.

I get it, I'm just kidding with you. My translations are based on the Chinese translation of the original Japanese text anyways, so it would be better to wait for a direct translation

Where's the original Japanese text? I'll take a look at it.

Here's the summary:

Satoshi's slump in official battles has been continuing ever since his battle with Saitou. In the middle of all this an unusual, giant sandstorm forms in Kinsetsu City of the Hoenn Region. People say the sandstorm uses a beautiful singing voice to tempt people into stepping inside. Satoshi and Gou head there right away to see if this is the work of some unidentified Pokémon. Not long after they start tackling this mystery do they find themselves in a battle with the super strong Pokémon Flygon! Flygon's speed is making a fool out of Satoshi so Gou tries out a shocking tactic...

RileyXY1 said:
Sand Hell is the Japanese name for the move Sand Tomb.

And I'm saying that "Sand Hell" is a really lousy translation of 砂地獄.

Google Translate is garbage, y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom